Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Newbie Wraith build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Newbie Wraith build

Good parts list once you eliminate that Integy stuff. Also, that servo might not be up to the challenge for a Wraith. Its only 305oz. The Wraith requires something more in the 350oz and up range depending on how heavy it is. So to be safe I'd say 400oz and up.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I've had pretty good luck with my 222oz servo. Will move the truck around if the tires are stuck. 300 should be fine I'd say. But, the more the merrier!
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Rcmed, my post was not in response to yours. Apologies if it seemed so.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I'd also take that rs gen2 back and get a mamba max Pro. Much better esc, and can run double what the rs can run. Also supports all the way up to 6s
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I'm sure your sick of my bashing. Sorry about that, but just trying to look out for you. You'll also need rrp tranny gears. The dig unit is not going to hold up we with the pro4
Old 08-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Sorry, double post
Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
I'd also take that rs gen2 back and get a mamba max Pro. Much better esc, and can run double what the rs can run. Also supports all the way up to 6s
What if he doesn't want to run 6S Lipo? I only ran a 2S in my Wraith and it was fine. It is his money and can do with what he wants. There is nothing wrong with an RS.

I think the OP has a great list and a great project ahead of him. Replace stuff as it breaks and most importantly, have FUN!
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
What if he doesn't want to run 6S Lipo? I only ran a 2S in my Wraith and it was fine. It is his money and can do with what he wants. There is nothing wrong with an RS.

I think the OP has a great list and a great project ahead of him. Replace stuff as it breaks and most importantly, have FUN!
If he ever wants to go up a motor, then the rs is usless. The mmp is you best bet. I have an rs, and a mmp, i chose the mmp.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

We need more pics! Lol
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Well thanks for all the comments and for sharing experience...I'm taking back the Integy stuff today and picking up a Hotwire if they have one in stock, I'll also get them to order me a Savox 1230SG for the steering...I'm going to keep the ESC and Motor as is for now, I can always swap them out in the future.

spent the whole day setting up a work bench as RC's have been banned from the wife's kitchen table Picked up a nice Stainless steel box with a butcher block top... Pics will follow

Poor pic taken late last night...

Cale262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
If he ever wants to go up a motor, then the rs is usless. The mmp is you best bet. I have an rs, and a mmp, i chose the mmp.
Running a sensored Pro4, I doubt he would want to change motors. The Pro4 has been chosen by many to be the most effective motor for the Wraith.

See you chose the MMP, but he may want to stick with what he has already. It is all personal preference. He doesn't HAVE to buy what you tell him to buy.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Nice work area!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale262 View Post
I'm taking back the Integy stuff today and picking up a Hotwire if they have one in stock,
GOOD call! Getting a Hotwire will definitely make it easier to setup the RS. I like what Tekin was thinking with the "Hot-Button setup" but it is a little hard to remember what light configuration goes to what setting.

If your LHS doesn't have Vanquish Products, you could always go with a STRC steering kit. Make sure to have extra tie rod ends though, Axial's plastic is pretty soft
Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Running a sensored Pro4, I doubt he would want to change motors. The Pro4 has been chosen by many to be the most effective motor for the Wraith.

See you chose the MMP, but he may want to stick with what he has already. It is all personal preference. He doesn't HAVE to buy what you tell him to buy.
A rs would smoke with my pro4 HD
Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
A rs would smoke with my pro4 HD
Your driving could differ from his driving. His gearing could be different from your gearing. Your solder joints could be different from his. Your Wraith might weigh more than his. You can't assume that just because your RS smoked up, his would do the same. Batteries, gearing, weight and the way you drive all account for how the ESC is going to act.

Some racers race with Tekin RS' in their on-road, buggy and truggy rigs. If the RS can stand up to a 6-10 minute heat running 2S/3S 5000mah+ battery, I would imagine it could stand up to a Wraith that has variable throttle inputs.

I've experienced a MMP smoke up on me twice with my short course truck after about 3 minutes on the track with each time being different gearing. So, sometimes it isn't always the electronics as it is more of the installer/operator.

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 08-11-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
GOOD call! Getting a Hotwire will definitely make it easier to setup the RS. I like what Tekin was thinking with the "Hot-Button setup" but it is a little hard to remember what light configuration goes to what setting.

If your LHS doesn't have Vanquish Products, you could always go with a STRC steering kit. Make sure to have extra tie rod ends though, Axial's plastic is pretty soft

Now I just have to dig an old PC out of the basement to run the software...

I don't think my LHS carries VP stuff but I've been poking through a couple of the vendors sites and may make a larger order in the near future, the only problem I'm finding is no single vendor has all of the VP stuff I'd like (out of stock etc.)...I don't like ordering piece meal, it would be super nice if a vendor offered kit deals such as complete axles etc. or a complete Wraith all in upgrade kit ... Maybe I'll have to pick up the phone and call one of them and see if they can make that happen.
  • Currie axles complete
  • Transmission complete
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Please tell where you got that Jeep/Ram mat!
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
Please tell where you got that Jeep/Ram mat!
LOL... My local dealership, its two mats and I think they were about $10 each.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale262 View Post
Now I just have to dig an old PC out of the basement to run the software...

I don't think my LHS carries VP stuff but I've been poking through a couple of the vendors sites and may make a larger order in the near future, the only problem I'm finding is no single vendor has all of the VP stuff I'd like (out of stock etc.)...I don't like ordering piece meal, it would be super nice if a vendor offered kit deals such as complete axles etc. or a complete Wraith all in upgrade kit ... Maybe I'll have to pick up the phone and call one of them and see if they can make that happen.
  • Currie axles complete
  • Transmission complete
It is a bummer that you can only use Windows software for Hotwire and Castle Link. It leaves us Mac users out in the cold. Hopefully, they will make a program for Mac so it'll be more accessible.

VP does a great job of trying to keep everything in stock but when you're in the machining business, it is a never ending challenge to keep things on the shelves. It's really a "if you're lucky" deal.

Currie axles will probably stay in parts just because Axial, Hot Racing, VP, etc make different parts for the SCX10 and Wraith axles. It just makes it easier on everyone to build your own.

The transmissions, however, you can get complete. SuperShafty.com has what they call "BombProof Transmission. It includes all of what the market and consumers proves to be the strongest components, i.e., RRP gears, VP transmission case, SuperShafty output shafts and motor mount, Fast Eddy Bearings (I believe).

Every now and then someone will post up a complete set of Currie axles or built plastic housed Wraith axles, so be sure you keep your eye on the classifieds.

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 08-11-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:

The transmissions, however, you can get complete. SuperShafty.com has what they call "BombProof Transmission. It includes all of what the market and consumers proves to be the strongest components, i.e., RRP gears, VP transmission case, SuperShafty output shafts and motor mount, Fast Eddy Bearings (I believe).

I saw those but they are all listed as out of stock

Maybe I'll phone him tomorrow and see what an ETA would be on them and some axles...those OMF BL's are looking sweet too.

Newbie Wraith build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie wraith vid evan03 Newbie General 0 12-24-2012 10:09 PM
Wraith newbie question. Jigs Axial Wraith 4 12-14-2012 11:08 AM
newbie Wraith questions chrisring Newbie General 9 07-05-2012 11:19 AM
Newbie with a Wraith on the way, few?'s mrmagoo Newbie General 4 11-26-2011 07:24 AM
Wraith Question from a Newbie Swiss Electronics 2 06-19-2011 09:36 AM