Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Newbie Wraith build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Newbie Wraith build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale262 View Post
I saw those but they are all listed as out of stock

Maybe I'll phone him tomorrow and see what an ETA would be on them and some axles...those OMF BL's are looking sweet too.
Yeah those transmissions go QUICK! But they usually have a short turn around time. CHeck looking out on their website as well.

It wouldn't hurt to hear an ETA, you may be able to pre-order of something. VP's OMF BL are a very sharp looking wheel and they should definitely handle what you will put the Wraith through. The bead locking system couldn't be easier; it's only 5 screws to mount up a tire.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Yea supershafty bomb trans is worth every penny!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

You can build a wraith tranny for cheaper. No need for the beefy top shaft, or the gen3 slipper. A traxxas jato 56tooth spur will fit under your cover. Rrp idiler, and bottom gear with supershafty 6mm outputs, with 6mm mip yolks. All of that shoved in a hotracing wraith tranny case.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
You can build a wraith tranny for cheaper. No need for the beefy top shaft, or the gen3 slipper. A traxxas jato 56tooth spur will fit under your cover. Rrp idiler, and bottom gear with supershafty 6mm outputs, with 6mm mip yolks. All of that shoved in a hotracing wraith tranny case.
Why not get everything at once and make it easier to purchase?

Lets break it down:

Complete Bomb Proof WRAITH Trans - Super Shafty $200.00 plus shipping

If you built it yourself:

Hot Racing Hardened Steel gear set: $29.00
Hot Racing Wraith case: $38.00
SuperShafty 6mm outputs: $68.00
MIP Wraith driveshafts: $62.00
MIP 6mm joints: $7.00 each- $28.00

Then roughly $15-20 for shipping

Just right there alone, you're running a $240 transmission. That isn't including the Beefy Top Shaft, RRP Spur gear or SuperShafty motor plate.

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 08-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
Very true. I just have the outputs slipper and steel gears in a hot racing alu case. But for the people who want the best without the build part then there worth the money.
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Nice build you got going! Can't wait to see the finished rig. Seeing as everyone else is giving feedback on what trans to get, I'll throw in my $0.02
AX2 w/HD output shaft. -$145 + $35 for shift servo.

Wraith Pro4 2 speed
aqwik69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Just a question/observation of sorts. People get the AX2 trans which once you get a servo is around 180 but couldn't you instead invest that money in a good remote? (4pls or other programmable remote) With that remote couldn't you program a switch so that it drops the motors power by fifty percent(or what ever power output would work best) then when you want to go blasting off click it back the other way? I know futaba remotes have the ability because of dual ESC mixing but you could in theory use it for an electronic first and second gear and use a bomb proof tranny. Not to mention you wouldn't have to worry about servos failing.
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOverThere View Post
Just a question/observation of sorts. People get the AX2 trans which once you get a servo is around 180 but couldn't you instead invest that money in a good remote? (4pls or other programmable remote) With that remote couldn't you program a switch so that it drops the motors power by fifty percent(or what ever power output would work best) then when you want to go blasting off click it back the other way? I know futaba remotes have the ability because of dual ESC mixing but you could in theory use it for an electronic first and second gear and use a bomb proof tranny. Not to mention you wouldn't have to worry about servos failing.
That seems like a whole lot of trouble to set up. I can accomplish the same exact theory with plain trigger control. A 2sp trans on the other hand, offers 2 completely different gear ratios to choose from. No remote can offer that electronically.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwik69 View Post
Nice build you got going! Can't wait to see the finished rig. Seeing as everyone else is giving feedback on what trans to get, I'll throw in my $0.02

Wraith Pro4 2 speed
What servo are you using to shift that AX2? Can you shift it on the fly?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
What servo are you using to shift that AX2? Can you shift it on the fly?
Many people are using a 645mg, I decided to run a 625mg micro mounted underneath. It has held up with zero issues. Yes it can be shifted on the fly, in the video I posted I'm shifting it. I don't want to jack this thread though, if you have any more questions please PM me
Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #51
Rock Stacker

Quote:
?..Seeing as everyone else is giving feedback on what trans to get, I'll throw in my $0.02

Wraith Pro4 2 speed

Interesting, I may have to try that in one of mine...
Cale262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #52
RCC Addict

With a good brushless motor like the pro4 or roc412 there is no need for a 2speed trans. The motor is planty fast and had more torque than you'll need.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That seems like a whole lot of trouble to set up. I can accomplish the same exact theory with plain trigger control. A 2sp trans on the other hand, offers 2 completely different gear ratios to choose from. No remote can offer that electronically.
Doesn't really look difficult to do. I am aware a 2 speed tranny would provide different ratios. My point is the use of it is for a speed gear and a crawler gear but, with a powerful brushless motor like a pro4 you will get mountains of torque no matter what ratio you select so if you don't want to much power crawling you can tone it down with the remote. I myself also use trigger control with my stock axial remote. I actually just finally ordered a nice remote because I wanted channels so I could turn on and off lights and use a winch. I was just wondering what people thought about that possibility because in theory it would work and because you would be limiting the power the motor was getting wouldn't that help it run cooler when you were doing low settings?

((Hey sorry Cale kind of off topic don't want to hijack your thread.))

As for what you run in your wraith my only suggestion is WATERPROOF EVERYTHING! Its much more fun running in mud and water unless you have sand. kicking up tons of sand is also just a good time.

Last edited by GuyOverThere; 08-12-2013 at 12:38 AM.
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

My personal thoughts on using the 2sp was from a heat standpoint. I like speed, and in order to achieve that speed I was after, a bigger pinion would be needed. In my first truck, I burned up a few motors and ESC's looking for that speed. With the 2sp, I am able to run a 12t pinion and still have awesome top end in 2nd gear because it's a higher ratio than the stock transmission. I can honestly say, this is MY first pro4 motor, and I didn't know a whole lot about them prior to buying it last week. My LHS told me it was a great motor, but they have sold me a lot of stuff I don't need so I wasn't 100% sold on it..... Till now! I am also very partial to my 2sp and would recommend it to anyone
Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Now that i got my rrp gear back from warrenty, it hasn't had one problem under big power.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

If by 'hotwire' you mean 'Hot Racing', stay away from HR crap too. The press-fit retainers will come out and throw a ton a slop in your rig.

HR links - worthless!!!

Get VP or make your own.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadace View Post
If by 'hotwire' you mean 'Hot Racing', stay away from HR crap too. The press-fit retainers will come out and throw a ton a slop in your rig.

HR links - worthless!!!

Get VP or make your own.
Tekin Hotwire ESC programmer. It is like Castle Creations' Castle Link.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
Tekin Hotwire ESC programmer. It is like Castle Creations' Castle Link.
T Hotwire...

Hardware showed up today, assembly can start...Thank You Nicole

Last edited by Cale262; 08-12-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Boom! There it is!

My opinion about the 2 speed transmission:

- How much do you think you will really use it? When I had the TF2 up and running, I barely used high gear.

- Is it really worth it in the long run? There is more parts that could break and more to maintain

I think just having a single speed transmission with dig will do just nicely for you. I would stick with the single speed transmission first and then move on to a 2 speed if you have the need for it.

Just my $.04.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

I will be sticking to the single speed transmission for this build... My goal, being fairly new and having already experienced the RTR failures, is to keep this build simple and reliably stout. Going to assemble the chassis today.

Newbie Wraith build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie wraith vid evan03 Newbie General 0 12-24-2012 10:09 PM
Wraith newbie question. Jigs Axial Wraith 4 12-14-2012 11:08 AM
newbie Wraith questions chrisring Newbie General 9 07-05-2012 11:19 AM
Newbie with a Wraith on the way, few?'s mrmagoo Newbie General 4 11-26-2011 07:24 AM
Wraith Question from a Newbie Swiss Electronics 2 06-19-2011 09:36 AM