Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: wraith no more. starting a new thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: wraith no more. starting a new thread

Works very well. Its the only way I will ever run it. You will have to run a longer servo arm but i think it makes for a better "ratio" anyway.

Last edited by 67mustang; 09-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang View Post

Works very well. Its the only way I will ever run it. You will have to run a longer servo arm but i think it makes for a better "ratio" anyway.

That's not at all a good way to run it. That puts alot of extra stress on the servo. Along with a few other bad quirks!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

A quirk? Is that like when someone hears something and doesn't know what they are talking about so they call it a 'quirk'?

Other bad quirks? Is that like a street gang?

How exactly does it 'stress' the servo? Does it need to see a psychiatrist?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A quirk? Is that like when someone hears something and doesn't know what they are talking about so they call it a 'quirk'?

Other bad quirks? Is that like a street gang?

How exactly does it 'stress' the servo? Does it need to see a psychiatrist?
Well we could start with the fact that it produces a different amount of Ackerman in on direction than the other. Furthermore when you turn, the imaginary tie rod gets shorter so when you turn the sharper you steer the more Ackerman is pulled out (the opposite of what you want). But if you like that then by all means, run with it. Just don't try to convince us that it's awesome.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Seeing as evans scraping the wheel and looking for a longer steering arm on a heavy rig, it would make sense to flip the knuckles and gain leverage against the tires. Another thing he could do is double up on the little stock steering arms.

Maybe you just take issue with the 'suicide steering'? Are we really going to discuss ackerman angle on a strictly offroad rc car? I have never seen ackerman angle matter when jammed up in the rocks. Much less on a vehicle that is locked front and rear. Do you run open diffs? Truth is all that matters is being able to steer.

And guess what...it turns the wheels with authority. Who gives a crap about ackerman angle? Do you go on your local trail and tell the 1:1 guys that their hydraulic rams don't offer the proper steering geometry?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Seeing as evans scraping the wheel and looking for a longer steering arm on a heavy rig, it would make sense to flip the knuckles and gain leverage against the tires. Another thing he could do is double up on the little stock steering arms.

Maybe you just take issue with the 'suicide steering'? Are we really going to discuss ackerman angle on a strictly offroad rc car? I have never seen ackerman angle matter when jammed up in the rocks. Much less on a vehicle that is locked front and rear. Do you run open diffs? Truth is all that matters is being able to steer.

And guess what...it turns the wheels with authority. Who gives a crap about ackerman angle? Do you go on your local trail and tell the 1:1 guys that their hydraulic rams don't offer the proper steering geometry?

I'm not sure what you mean by "flip the knuckles". Can you explain? I would imagine with as fast as Evan runs his rig on 6s, he would want the best geometry he can get. There isn't any reason that hydraulic steering has to have poor geometry.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

left knuckle on the right side. right knuckle on the left side. BTA arms toward the front.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
left knuckle on the right side. right knuckle on the left side. BTA arms toward the front.
He can't do that with his knuckles.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

I'm sure he can mock it up with his original plastics...see if it works for him. He can also run a real tie rod if he wishes.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm sure he can mock it up with his original plastics...see if it works for him. He can also run a real tie rod if he wishes.
Your set up puts double the stress on the servo. On top of that is also gives each tire a different steering angle( 1 turns much sharper than the other. I wouldn't recommend that set up to anyone. That suicide style steering is garbage.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

How exactly does it double the stress? There is actually less stress with a longer steering arm. The bta steering arms are like 80% longer than stock arms. Think about if the passenger tire is in a hole and my drag link is pulling on the driver knuckle trying to pull only the driver knuckle and having to pull the whole steering set the opposite way. These tires are heavy.

How does one turn sharper than the other? It goes lock to lock.

I wouldn't run the steering the same way if i was still using the rinky dink stock arms. I run it this way for leverage...not ackerman angle. Using the bta arms create a different geometry than the stock arms. There's no running 40 series stuff with stock arms. No way. Until there's a better way, ill stick with this and i promise not to alter your yard toys when you sleep at night.

Truth is, your castor has more to do with steering effort than most anything else. This is coming from someone who has done many alignments on many vehicles. So don't get your panties in a wad over the steering setup on a toy car. Kalm down ppl.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #53
ion
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
How exactly does it double the stress? There is actually less stress with a longer steering arm. The bta steering arms are like 80% longer than stock arms. Think about if the passenger tire is in a hole and my drag link is pulling on the driver knuckle trying to pull only the driver knuckle and having to pull the whole steering set the opposite way. These tires are heavy.

I wouldn't run the steering the same way if i was still using the rinky dink stock arms. I run it this way for leverage...not ackerman angle. Using the bta arms create a different geometry than the stock arms. There's no running 40 series stuff with stock arms. No way. Until there's a better way, ill stick with this and i promise not to alter your yard toys when you sleep at night.

Truth is, your castor has more to do with steering effort than most anything else. This is coming from someone who has done many alignments on many vehicles. So don't get your panties in a wad over the steering setup on a toy car. Kalm down ppl.

You honestly don't know when to learn to be quiet do you?

It has been proven numerous times that the suicide switch steering setup will give you incorrect ackerman angles as well as put added stress on the output gear of the servo.

Please for the love of god read some threads about guys actually running the setup before you post again about it.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #54
RCC Addict

1 turns sharper than the other due to the fact that both drag links are different lengths. As for more stress on the servo it has to push/pull both. It has double the stress due to being connected to and having to put out the power to turn both knuckles rather than connected to 1 and having a tie rod connect the two knuckles. It has been discussed before and proven to be a horrible set up. All we are doing here is beating the dead horse.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Whoa fellas. I'm happy with my steering. Its plenty stout foe my needs and provides a lot of clearance in the rocks.

I feel my steering set up us one of the best setups for performance . Mist likely won't be trying a suicide setup or flipping the knuckles around. A little grinding here and there has things clearing how I want
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #56
RCC Addict

I'm sure its fine and more than strong enough. Check out my tie rod set up for a clearance idea. It works really well and is up way out of the way.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #57
20K Club

Quote:

Any force seen by a tire is directly translated to the servo horn. This is not always the case with a traditional tie rod setup as the force is seen by both tires equally. The double rod end at the servo creates a very large torsional force that is also not seen by a standard setup.

These are all just physics.

The poor geometry that it creates is independent of the different length arms. They could be the exact same length and you would still have unequal steering to each knuckle. Simple geometry.

You may do alignments all day, but designing a good steering system may not haven fallen into your resumé just yet.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #58
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
this is where I think doing it yourself comes into play. I see the vp links and other links have swooping bends going the wrong way hindering clearance. maybe that's just me?

I wonder how the VP lower links would look flipped over for better clearance in the rocks..
The VP links aren't bend in any way to affect clearance. They are basically a straight line in the vertical clearance terms from the skid to the links. The double bend in the VP links is to give you optimal range of motion for the rod ends. May links that are bent are nearly maxed out before they even begin to articulate. This causes the link to have to physically move to maintain smooth suspension function.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Maybe the links I'm noticing aren't VP..

My links do appear near maxed out at an angle but have just enoughovement to be smooth and not bind
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys im gonna change it right away.

wraith no more. starting a new thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting my Wraith build RallyeX Axial Wraith 15 06-11-2013 08:00 AM
Jk COACH OF STARTING OVER THE SCX10 WRAITH gionata78 Scale Videos! 0 03-29-2013 03:06 PM
Wraith Build. Starting the mods !!! Joe$ Axial Wraith 4 08-25-2012 04:14 PM
starting a wraith kit build yatester Axial Wraith 7 07-20-2012 05:17 PM