Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Harley's Wrexo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Harley's Wrexo

good to know. i think i know the answer but i must ask did you move the drag link on the bell crank to the top of the bell crank?
I'm thinking you did.
dybbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbob View Post
good to know. i think i know the answer but i must ask did you move the drag link on the bell crank to the top of the bell crank?
I'm thinking you did.
I tried moving it every which way and moving the arms up and down the posts trying to find a amicable placement to no avail.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
That setup still sucks. I'm building a wrexo for a friend using the "updated" kit. There just isn't enough room for the bell crank to clear the diff. I've shaved 3 ribs off from around the pinion and clearanced the housing too and it still has crap steering.
That's a pathetic reflection on BMRC if that's the case.
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
That's a pathetic reflection on BMRC if that's the case.
You're only going to get as much as the stock Exo steering will allow. Which isn't much to begin with. I'm getting full lock to lock on mine. Did some trimming also to get it too.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSc10 View Post
You're only going to get as much as the stock Exo steering will allow. Which isn't much to begin with. I'm getting full lock to lock on mine. Did some trimming also to get it too.
vary true !
only as much as the EXO has.
mine (the Bad Monkey) steer's just fine !
But - still have a little bump steer i am trying to get rid of.
ill be up-dating the "Bad Monkeys" thread here soon !!
so everyone can see what I've done
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the DMG View Post
vary true !
mine (the Bad Monkey) steer's just fine !
But - still have a little bump steer i am trying to get rid of.
ill be up-dating the "Bad Monkeys" thread here soon !!
so everyone can see what I've done
Yeah I have bump steer to but not very much. Can't wait to see your updated. You have some sick builds.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the DMG View Post
vary true !
There seems to me some confusion i guess. You can't condem something because it does not deliver the impossible!
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

I've said it before and ill say it again. The dmg and lee are so right. Your putting a steering system from a go fast rig on a crawler, you can't expect it to have the same steering as a stock wraith. At worst you should get lock to lock on the knuckle. This will work for most things except difficult rock crawling. It's not a comp rig setup.

I have a bmrc kit from the middle of production with the adapter plate for steering. I've got lock to lock on the knuckles and no bump steer that i can see with the bmrc titanium links. I had to cut the 2 rearmost holes that mount the upper plate to clear the bellcrank. I also flipped the crossbar on the bellcrank up to add clearance.
From the comment made above about trimming ribs in the housing it sounds like white trash didn't put the spacers in that space the diff housing about 4-5mm from the top plate. This creates some of the spacing required to get the bellcrank to get full travel.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
I've said it before and ill say it again. The dmg and lee are so right. Your putting a steering system from a go fast rig on a crawler, you can't expect it to have the same steering as a stock wraith. At worst you should get lock to lock on the knuckle. This will work for most things except difficult rock crawling. It's not a comp rig setup.

I have a bmrc kit from the middle of production with the adapter plate for steering. I've got lock to lock on the knuckles and no bump steer that i can see with the bmrc titanium links. I had to cut the 2 rearmost holes that mount the upper plate to clear the bellcrank. I also flipped the crossbar on the bellcrank up to add clearance.
From the comment made above about trimming ribs in the housing it sounds like white trash didn't put the spacers in that space the diff housing about 4-5mm from the top plate. This creates some of the spacing required to get the bellcrank to get full travel.

Dna

I took the ribs off and clearanced the housing some to almost make it work. Today I cut the housing some more and made it work as good as my stock exo. Yes the spacers are in, and I still had to remove the rear mounting tabs for the diff so the steering rack could go all the way forward. The tie rods are still a bit long but I'll take it apart tomorrow and shorten the ends so it's not toe'd in.

The kit isn't terrible but as Harley has already said, it almost seems like it was rushed to market without the steering being finished.

Any kit that uses the traxxas rack will have bump steer due to the rack being too narrow compared to the stock center link. I was working on using the stock center link with the traxxas rack and widening out the mounting points on the upper plate using an add on piece like the old bmrc kit was updated with.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
That setup still sucks. I'm building a wrexo for a friend using the "updated" kit. There just isn't enough room for the bell crank to clear the diff. I've shaved 3 ribs off from around the pinion and clearanced the housing too and it still has crap steering. I figured out a sweet solution to all this nonsense with the kit that I'll post pictures of when it's done tonight or tomorrow depending on motivation.
Any luck on that steering fix??? I have bmrc ifs build going just curious?
Location Tri Cities???
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #91
Pebble Pounder

would an angled ball end help with the bump steer if you needed to get the links perpendicular with out pushing the steering bell crank so far forward?
dybbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #92

I have the bmrc kit. Just trying to compile parts before i take my wraith apart. i was wondering if someone could give me a eye to eye length on the link from the servo to the bellcrank. I am using traxxas camber links for the camber links and the tie rods so that I can adjust all that once i get it done. i just need a length on that then I can find another traxxas link to work. Also, as a fix for the bump steer, try different lengths and positions of the camber links to get it to a minimum. Also can someone that has used the mip mod show and/or tell how much they had to grind out of the aluminum caster blocks to get enough clearance for the steering angles to be decent. cant wait to get this thing going. thank you in advance for any info!!
redxj33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #93

Hey harley
Now axial are releasing the yeti will you finish this? Or just get a yeti and put the wrexo bits and pieces into something else? Haha
jacko117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

I was wondering the same thing
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbob View Post
would an angled ball end help with the bump steer if you needed to get the links perpendicular with out pushing the steering bell crank so far forward?
Don't think it would. Angled ball ends just provide clearance. The effective steering link still will have the same angle if you draw a line from one connection point to the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxj33s View Post
I have the bmrc kit. Just trying to compile parts before i take my wraith apart. i was wondering if someone could give me a eye to eye length on the link from the servo to the bellcrank. I am using traxxas camber links for the camber links and the tie rods so that I can adjust all that once i get it done. i just need a length on that then I can find another traxxas link to work. Also, as a fix for the bump steer, try different lengths and positions of the camber links to get it to a minimum. Also can someone that has used the mip mod show and/or tell how much they had to grind out of the aluminum caster blocks to get enough clearance for the steering angles to be decent. cant wait to get this thing going. thank you in advance for any info!!
The grinding isn't that easy to explain. I just did it by trial and error. If you look at the dmgs bad monkey u4 build he posts up some pics of what he did. I may be able to get you the lengths. However I'm really busy getting rigs ready for an event next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko117 View Post
Hey harley
Now axial are releasing the yeti will you finish this? Or just get a yeti and put the wrexo bits and pieces into something else? Haha
Kinda what I'm thinking of doing. Only thing wrong with the wrexo is the weight IMHO. I want to get a lighter version going and the yeti frame might be the ticket.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote

Harley's Wrexo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my wrexo Frakke Videos! 5 08-27-2013 12:27 AM