Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: VP ackermann steering or factory setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

Default VP ackermann steering or factory setup

Getting the wraith kit soon. There is some confussion on my part about ackermann (racing) TI tie rod from VP. I'm going to use this wraith for 80% trail and crawling with a 35T 3s FXR setup so I'm thinking I would just get the factory length TI rod from VP.

I would not really call this a "racing" or high speed setup. So I just go with the factory length VP tie rod and not the ackerman 90 (racing) tie rod ? Whats the opinion out there?

I'm planning on using the VP stage 1 setup. Would the VP tie rod (stock length) clear the factory axial rims. I'm trying to keep the cost down, and using the factory wheels for now.

Thanks!
eastside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: VP ackermann steering or factory setup

Racing ackerman allows the outer tire to turn sharper than the inner tire, which creates better handling at speeds. The 0 ackerman is designed so both tires turn the same, which is what you want for crawling.

The stock wheels will not work if you have vp or any other after market aluminum knuckles and the vp tie rod. You will just have to clearance the inner lip of the wheel a bit though and they'll work. Or just get some wheels.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
Racing ackerman allows the outer tire to turn sharper than the inner tire, which creates better handling at speeds. The 0 ackerman is designed so both tires turn the same, which is what you want for crawling.

The stock wheels will not work if you have vp or any other after market aluminum knuckles and the vp tie rod. You will just have to clearance the inner lip of the wheel a bit though and they'll work. Or just get some wheels.
This is incorrect information, "true Ackerman" or the racing Ackerman as VP calls it is actually when the INSIDE tire turns sharper than the outside, because in reality, the inside wheel always runs a tighter path of travel than the outside wheel does. The problem is that VP does not state that the racing Ackerman arms need to be mounted in a BTA fashion to provide correct Ackerman steering geometry.

For crawling, you typically want zero Ackerman, which the stock VP setup provides. True Ackerman or racing Ackerman will provide more stable high speed handling as it reduces the twitchiness zero Ackerman geometry will cause at speed.

Ackermann steering geometry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by TSK; 10-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the clarification. It was confusing what VP product I was looking for. I've never really though about zero ackerman or racing ackerman and the differences in handling at different speeds.
eastside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Dinky setup. Best steering out there. Will need to possibly build your own drag link
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
Dinky setup. Best steering out there. Will need to possibly build your own drag link
The Dinky mount has nothing to do with Ackeman related steering geometry, so I'm not sure why you mention it.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote

VP ackermann steering or factory setup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD No-Flex Extended Steering Arm for Factory Wheels billet works Axial XR10 5 10-15-2010 09:10 PM
NAS - No Ackermann Steering Garrett Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 01-14-2010 04:35 AM
My steering setup JasonInAugusta General Crawlers 59 11-19-2006 03:28 PM
Here's my new steering setup. str8axle General Crawlers 8 10-09-2006 02:35 PM
What steering setup to use. neo Tamiya Clod Buster 1 04-20-2005 02:33 PM