Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: I installed 21t traxxas motor,anyone else?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default I installed 21t traxxas motor,anyone else?

I installed a 21t traxxas emaxx motor in my sons wraith,The stock motor was getting a bit worn and it lacked power so I was walking in the hobby shop today and figure for 20 bux Id give it a shot. I dont know what I was expecting but wasnt very happy with the speed,I know im going up a turn on motors but I guess I was thinking with the larger motor it would have generated at least the same speed as the stock motor. The power was noticeable, it climbed better and actually held on a hill,I was pretty happy with that.

I just did this for a quick cheap experiment,as I didnt want to spend much on a motor since we just trail around by ourselves and usually always find pretty deep water every outing. I didnt change any gearing as I really didnt have any other pinions around,but was wondering if anyone installed this traxxas motor did you use any different gearing to get the most out of this set up? I ran it full throttle for about 5 mins and the motor temp only got up to around 84 degrees "assuming my harbor frieght laser temp is accurate"
So I was wondering if I geared it up a bit to gain a little more speed would it make it any better or am I at about the limit of the motor speed and power where im at now?
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: I installed 21t traxxas motor,anyone else?

Since it is a larger 550 motor, i think the 21t would be closer to a 35t 540 motor in terms of speed. The original 20t is a 540.

I have run this motor and its great as long as you at least use 3s. If you are using 2s/6cell then you are not as efficient as you could be.

I wouldn't gear it far up unless you are running 3s or 4s. I don't think it would perform well geared up on 2s.

Thats a motor that you should push for performance....not settle for mediocrity. If you burn it out, get another.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I run the 21t traxxas motors in all my rigs. Love em!!
My 5 year old son has one in his SCX 10 mud truck and its tough as nails.
I've run em on both 2s and 3s, with the 3s in my wraith being the most fun. I just used a castle BEC and then ran 3s on the stock axial esc. I have my sons truck geared up a bit so he'll like the speed and it runs cool on 2s
Running 23/87 on his truck and 27/87 on my scx10 both with 21t titans.

+1 on the 21t being the same speed as a 35t 540 motor.

I am now in the process of trying a 12t Titan in my scaler.. It's way faster but you can feel it lacks torque. It will really light up the tires on a hill climb, but stalls out when you get in a bind. I got it geared 18/87 right now and it runs cool when trailing with my 1.9 tired rig.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ok,,I bought a used wraith and it showed up today,so I no longer have to experiment on my sons
Mine came with a mamba max pro SCT esc and a 13.5 speed passion sensored brushless motor,So far im not impressed at all with crawling,it has decent speed and looks like it would be fine for general off road,dirt hills. But it has like no power at a stand still up against a big obstacle. I have a castle link and im fairly certain I can run brushed motors,so im thinking im going to ditch the BL and get something else and just use the current esc.

I know a lot of people are fond of the holmes hobby motors,but they seem to be on the pricey side,but I wouldnt mind as long as it will last and take some water rides and have enough speed and torque. I was curious about the torque master 540 21T,Would this be comparable to the titan 21t in sense of speed and power? I would assume the holmes hobbie 21T is a better motor,and can be rebuilt but if I put one im my wraith and put it side by side with my sons wraith with the titan "geared same" would I notice a difference between the two?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
Ok,,I bought a used wraith and it showed up today,so I no longer have to experiment on my sons
Mine came with a mamba max pro SCT esc and a 13.5 speed passion sensored brushless motor,So far im not impressed at all with crawling,it has decent speed and looks like it would be fine for general off road,dirt hills. But it has like no power at a stand still up against a big obstacle. I have a castle link and im fairly certain I can run brushed motors,so im thinking im going to ditch the BL and get something else and just use the current esc.

I know a lot of people are fond of the holmes hobby motors,but they seem to be on the pricey side,but I wouldnt mind as long as it will last and take some water rides and have enough speed and torque. I was curious about the torque master 540 21T,Would this be comparable to the titan 21t in sense of speed and power? I would assume the holmes hobbie 21T is a better motor,and can be rebuilt but if I put one im my wraith and put it side by side with my sons wraith with the titan "geared same" would I notice a difference between the two?
I run Traxxas Titan 21T in my Wraith geared 13/56 (32 pitch) on 3s with Tekin FXR and CC BEC and it is a great motor! Lots of torque, pretty fast, cheap, lasts a long time...crawls great and has good wheelspeed for hill climbs on 3s! Going to buy another one for my SCX, but my 45T lathe motor has been going and going.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So everyone thinks that is best,,instead of buying a holmes hobby 21t and using two cells,,just stick with the titans with 3 cells?
I mean I guess its going to cost me about the same,all I have now is 2s I would have to go and buy some 3s.

Think the holmes hobby 21t will be just as disappointing on 2s?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I seen the light! I plugged up one of my airplane 3s packs to my sons wraith with the 21T Titan and it woke it up Real nice!
I did run this on the stock axial ae2 esc,but only ran it for a few mins just to test it, Think it will handle it long term on 3s?,I also keep it in a balloon for waterproofing.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

The Traxxas 21t is a perfect wraith motor. Even on 3s, it will last a long time compared to the stock motor. I like that setup also.
You can use 3s on the axial esc all day, but PLEASE get a separate BEC for the rx power and servo, and lift the red wire out of the esc plug. PLEASE. The stock axial esc may work on 3s, but it will have a short life unless you get a BEC for the servo power. Castle and many vendors here also make and sell nice BEC setups.
For reference, I've run years on a wraith using 3s and a Castle BEC, and brushed motors. Years and Years. Great fun system for low $.
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The Titan will work fine on 2s.. It's all my son runs in his scaler mud truck.. It's gear the same speed as the stock scx10 with the 27t they come with....but... His has gobs more torque.

If you're looking for an awesome ESC that you won't need a separate BEC for, the Holmes Hobbies BRXL is the ticket.. It'll be my next esc purchase. It'll run up to 6s lipos and has a 6 volt 5amp BEC, plus it's easily programmed with castle link.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I finished up my sons wraith I installed the BEC changed the gearing to 15/80 I think its a great set up and couldnt be happier. Ran it around the yard just doing laps and couldnt get the esc over 85 degrees and the motor is cool to the touch. 2s has decent wheel speed and great torque and 3s seems to be the sweet spot with nice speed and torque,if anything maybe a touch too quick. Im adding the same set up to mine now! The only problem I had was getting that motor close enough to the spur with that small of a pinion. I intended on going with a 14t pinion but it just couldnt make it,,luckily I had a 15T on hand and with some creative grinding I got it to mesh up just about perfect.

When I do mine,I could just add a 16 or 17t pinion to make it easier on myself,shouldnt be able to tell that much a difference between 15t and a 17t,ya think? If so what the popular gearing with the titan motor to make everything fit nice,I understand the pinions but im kinda out of my realm when swaping spurs and pinion creating new drive ratios,so if anyone has some suggestion,let me know. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
I finished up my sons wraith I installed the BEC changed the gearing to 15/80 I think its a great set up and couldnt be happier. Ran it around the yard just doing laps and couldnt get the esc over 85 degrees and the motor is cool to the touch. 2s has decent wheel speed and great torque and 3s seems to be the sweet spot with nice speed and torque,if anything maybe a touch too quick. Im adding the same set up to mine now! The only problem I had was getting that motor close enough to the spur with that small of a pinion. I intended on going with a 14t pinion but it just couldnt make it,,luckily I had a 15T on hand and with some creative grinding I got it to mesh up just about perfect.

When I do mine,I could just add a 16 or 17t pinion to make it easier on myself,shouldnt be able to tell that much a difference between 15t and a 17t,ya think? If so what the popular gearing with the titan motor to make everything fit nice,I understand the pinions but im kinda out of my realm when swaping spurs and pinion creating new drive ratios,so if anyone has some suggestion,let me know. Thanks!
You could go with a larger spur gear so you do to loose your reduction since you said it was already a touch fast.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default I installed 21t traxxas motor,anyone else?

Stock axial spurs for the scx ax 10 are 87 tooth. That would fit right on and allow you to use a smaller pinion......

Pinion -- bigger equals faster, smaller equals slower.

Spur --- bigger equals slower, smaller equals faster.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the tip,I'll give that a try
Old 10-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I think i went 14/87 for my daughters wraith and it works great with the 21t titan.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #15

14 87 is what im running
loc0gring0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #16

I run the 550 can motor out of the Traxxas Villan (marine motor) in my Wraith. Its a 23 turn and easily handles 3s and it runs AWESOME! It has monster torque and the speed is about the same as the stock brushed motor. Havent raced them head to head but it looks about the same if not a little better. You can buy these online for under $20. I got mine for $18 with free shipping. I am really impressed by this motor. You get the benefits of a brushless motor in a cheap waterproof can motor. Low end torque and wheel spin when you need it all with no cogging at all. I am running one just like it that I got in trade. Its the motor HPI put in the brushed Savage (GT550). Hot Body has their name on it, but then they ended up selling out to HPI for the E-Zilla I believe (dont remember what came first). This one is in my scaler and again, very happy with this setup as well. They also seem to run quieter than my other can motors.

Last edited by OregonCrawlerKing; 12-13-2013 at 03:12 PM.
OregonCrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis View Post
The Traxxas 21t is a perfect wraith motor. Even on 3s, it will last a long time compared to the stock motor. I like that setup also.
You can use 3s on the axial esc all day, but PLEASE get a separate BEC for the rx power and servo, and lift the red wire out of the esc plug. PLEASE. The stock axial esc may work on 3s, but it will have a short life unless you get a BEC for the servo power. Castle and many vendors here also make and sell nice BEC setups.
For reference, I've run years on a wraith using 3s and a Castle BEC, and brushed motors. Years and Years. Great fun system for low $.
I like the 21 turn Titan on 3s and use the Holmes RX Bypass Adapter or make your own so that the steering servo gets full voltage, but rx does not...unless your rx can handle 7.4 volts.

Forgot the link...it's Saturday night lol:

http://holmeshobbies.com/RXBypass.html

Last edited by Natedog; 12-15-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by k goodrich View Post
I think i went 14/87 for my daughters wraith and it works great with the 21t titan.
13/56 32 pitch is perfect on 3s...crawls great and still has wheelspeed. 14/56 if you want more speed and little less crawling is fun!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Older thread but. After torching a few other brushed 540 motors 19t and 20t in my heavy lr3 scx10
I tried a 21t Titan. I have only run it on 2s so far and was very pleased
Loads of torque, quite smooth. Seemed to have plenty of wheel speed too
I'm running 32 pitch. 11/54 iirc
Glad to hear this will put up with as much as 4s. I have 3s ready and waiting for the next run
It stayed nice and cool after running a5400 2s through it over 2 hr non stop

Seems a good cheap choice for heavier rigs
Ith motor does contact the rear link mount, but I was able to tighten the trans screws just fine with no interference with link mounts
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Think I'm going to give one of these a go while wait for parts for HH motor
Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

I installed 21t traxxas motor,anyone else? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
traxxas 21t cowboy_crawler Axial SCX-10 13 01-09-2013 06:45 PM