Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Wraith owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New Wraith owner

just got my first RC rig ever.
picked up a poison spider wraith

took it out this weekend for a baseline run

already found some things I want to change. definilty want to get the weight balance lower, its very tippy.

also, had an issue after a little bit with the steering getting locked to one side. turned the rig off and turned it back on after a few minutes, and on its own the steering was tweaking out. shifting left to right back and forth a few times.
im assuming its because the servo got wet? does that sound right to you guys?

anyways,
I already ordered up a whole host of extra parts, waiting on them to come in.

fast eddy full bearing kit + the bearing to replace the bushing in the stock servo (hopefully that will buy me some time but I have my doubts, its already pretty sloppy after only hour and half of run time.

VP titanium 10 piece set
Topcad aluminum Chubs, Lockouts, Knuckles
ProLine TSL's
axial servo horn
CC Bec & castle link
axial universals

if there is anything that I've missed as far as things I should upgrade, please throw it out there. I know i'll probably end up doing the electronics at some point but i'm hoping to get a little time out of the stock stuff for a bit.

like I said this is my first RC rig ever so every thing I've picked up has been purely from this forum. I've been studying Harley's threads the past few days.
Smokinthehippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #2

Default Re: New Wraith owner

congrats...i just got started and picked up the same truck a couple of weeks ago.

This has been a helpful guide for me...

Harley's $50 Poison Spyder Wraith Budget Build
aggieljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieljh View Post
congrats...i just got started and picked up the same truck a couple of weeks ago.

This has been a helpful guide for me...

Harley's $50 Poison Spyder Wraith Budget Build
thanks.
yeah i've been studying those videos as well as the beginners guide.

they've really made the difference in parts ordering.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinthehippies View Post
thanks.
yeah i've been studying those videos as well as the beginners guide.

they've really made the difference in parts ordering.
I agree, so far i have bought the

Axial Aluminum Servo Arm
VP Tie Rod and Drag Arm
Regear for 84/16

Just got paid last week, so i will probably pick up the rest of the Ti Links and the VVD axle shafts soon
aggieljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieljh View Post
I agree, so far i have bought the

Axial Aluminum Servo Arm
VP Tie Rod and Drag Arm
Regear for 84/16

Just got paid last week, so i will probably pick up the rest of the Ti Links and the VVD axle shafts soon
nice. after playing with it stock, i'm eager to see how much difference all the changes make.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Not fond of the stock servo myself. I got twitchy after the first few runs. I opened it up out of curiosity found the potentiometer housing cracked. I just replaced it, on the other hand my buddy's stock servo lasted a year of hard beating, who knows.
vinnyphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Congrats! Welcome to the addiction! I caution you against topcad, integy and HR aluminum parts...specifically the parts that will handle abuse. anything requiring a tough upgrade, use with Vanquish or Axial....yes, I'm aware if the price, yes I have bought other parts and had to later spend my money on Axial and Vanquish and no, I do not work for either, nor do I receive any promotional items for referrals. Simply sharing with you what cost me to learn.

Purchase axial black code springs and open the piston holes on the shocks, that wil really give you a better ride. When your servo dies, hobbico Cs170...good price hitec rebranded servo....I love it.

Watch what sterring parts you use with the knuckles and C-hubs...some measurements aren't comparable when you cross brands.

Metal ball ends and replace as many stock course thread screws as you can with M3 machine screws.

I dig that rig, you're gonna LOVE it!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyphx View Post
Not fond of the stock servo myself. I got twitchy after the first few runs. I opened it up out of curiosity found the potentiometer housing cracked. I just replaced it, on the other hand my buddy's stock servo lasted a year of hard beating, who knows.
yeah i'm already shopping for new servos. i have the fast eddy bearing to replace the plastic bushing on the stocker, hopefully that will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
Congrats! Welcome to the addiction! I caution you against topcad, integy and HR aluminum parts...specifically the parts that will handle abuse. anything requiring a tough upgrade, use with Vanquish or Axial....yes, I'm aware if the price, yes I have bought other parts and had to later spend my money on Axial and Vanquish and no, I do not work for either, nor do I receive any promotional items for referrals. Simply sharing with you what cost me to learn.

Purchase axial black code springs and open the piston holes on the shocks, that wil really give you a better ride. When your servo dies, hobbico Cs170...good price hitec rebranded servo....I love it.

Watch what sterring parts you use with the knuckles and C-hubs...some measurements aren't comparable when you cross brands.

Metal ball ends and replace as many stock course thread screws as you can with M3 machine screws.

I dig that rig, you're gonna LOVE it!
thanks for the response!
good call on the TopCad as thats what most of the aluminum parts i got were, ill go ahead and run them now since ive got them, but i'll keep an eye out for either the axial or VP parts and keep em ready to go in.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Did some more work on it tonight. Moving the battery forward. Pulled the esc and radio box and gonna mount them out back. Mounting the battery under the hood. Also trimmed the back half of the cage to make it a little more cleaner lines.

Hopefully get all of those things finished up tomoro and grab some pictures then
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

For servos, get the solar D772 from hobbypartz.com i run this servo on the back of my 12pound porker wraith. Beat the heck out of it and it keeps comming back. Get a cc bec and crank it up to 7.4 volts and never look back.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
yeah i'm already shopping for new servos. i have the fast eddy bearing to replace the plastic bushing on the stocker, hopefully that will help.

thanks for the response!
good call on the TopCad as thats what most of the aluminum parts i got were, ill go ahead and run them now since ive got them, but i'll keep an eye out for either the axial or VP parts and keep em ready to go in.
My integy (same as topcad) knuckles on my 9lb pound scx tuber. Never had an issue with them. Solid aluminium parts from them are alright, but no links or motors from them.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
My integy (same as topcad) knuckles on my 9lb pound scx tuber. Never had an issue with them. Solid aluminium parts from them are alright, but no links or motors from them.
the only things i've got from them are the knuckles chubs and lockouts, so i'm mildly optimistic it'll last me a little bit.

***new question.

got my castle link & bec to the house last night. going to put them in tonight. i've got a pretty decent understanding on how to wire up the bec thanks to harleys diagram and the one included with the bec, but how does the castle link connect? does it get soldered inline somewhere that i'm not picking up? there is no wiring directions with the part at all, just instructions for the program.

thanks!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the only things i've got from them are the knuckles chubs and lockouts, so i'm mildly optimistic it'll last me a little bit.

***new question.

got my castle link & bec to the house last night. going to put them in tonight. i've got a pretty decent understanding on how to wire up the bec thanks to harleys diagram and the one included with the bec, but how does the castle link connect? does it get soldered inline somewhere that i'm not picking up? there is no wiring directions with the part at all, just instructions for the program.

thanks!
You just plug the end of the bec thats suppost to go i to the receiver i to the castle link. The 2 wires of the bec get soldered in to the main plug, and the pigtail will go into the open channel of the receiver. Then for the esc's pigtail that goes into the bec you need to insert a small flat head screw driver under the tab that holds the red pin down and pull it out chr tape it back.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
You just plug the end of the bec thats suppost to go i to the receiver i to the castle link. The 2 wires of the bec get soldered in to the main plug, and the pigtail will go into the open channel of the receiver. Then for the esc's pigtail that goes into the bec you need to insert a small flat head screw driver under the tab that holds the red pin down and pull it out chr tape it back.
Perfect thanks!

Next question I forgot about earlier.

I unplugged both my servo and sec out of the rx yesterday to move it around. Forgot which direction do they plug back in.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Perfect thanks!

Next question I forgot about earlier.

I unplugged both my servo and sec out of the rx yesterday to move it around. Forgot which direction do they plug back in.
Black wire towards the outside of case.
lala4fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala4fire View Post
Black wire towards the outside of case.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Got a decent amount of work done on the rig tonight.
BEC soldered in
Batteries and rig connections all switched to deans
Battery moved up front. Moved the esc & rx box to the rear. Made a small little plate to mount them on. Got that bolted in where the battery used to live.

Waiting on my ti links to show up so I can figure out how I'm gonna finish out the rear of the cage.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Probably going to figure out a little cover for the rear to hide the electronics a bit
Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

A little turkey day work

The seams don't match up perfectly but they're pretty close. I'm waiting on some magnets and good pins to come in so I can finish the latch for the front of the hood. For today it's just getting a zip tie so I can run it at my inlaws.

Also added two screws to the tailgate area. Didn't like how the entire back past the door was only held in place with friction. Also added a screw on each side up near the fender where I made the cut. Body is pretty snug now I like it
Old 11-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Made it 10 minutes worth of crawling on the log pile. Let the father in law drive it for five minutes and he stripped the servo horn. So I'm done for the day

New Wraith owner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soon to be wraith owner.... ProfitOfDoom Axial Wraith 3 05-01-2013 06:54 AM
New wraith owner. puddin Axial Wraith 48 03-23-2013 06:06 PM
Another Wraith owner lowandslow Axial Wraith 6 02-13-2013 06:51 PM
now a axial wraith owner tundrafan01 Axial Wraith 10 11-10-2011 05:46 PM
new wraith owner ld markey Michigan 12 10-31-2011 06:04 PM