Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: overdrive gears.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default overdrive gears.?

Will overdrive gears in the front of a wraith cause over heating?
Iv tried multiple pinions and 87 only on the spur. Kill every motor. 20t-35t, 2s only. Smooth drive line. Iv checked. brxl, cc bec ,
My last try was 13\87 2s. After ten min. 167 was my heat. Going back to stock diff gears.anyway any thoughts will help.
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: overdrive gears.?

Strange. Did you change your rear axle gearing, or did you keep it stock while you had the overdrive gears in?
Bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Stock in rear while OD in. Thinking UD the rear and stock the front.....
Or go back stock in both.
Brxl is in default mode. Hmm
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Suck it up!

If you are doing anything but crawling, od/ud gears will hurt you if you are mixing ratios. It puts a lot of stress on the drive train and motor.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I've run over drive front under drive rear. Stock front under drive rear over drive front stock rear stock stock and I haven't seen anyone gear sear or break anything sooner then the other

I'm currently stock rear over drive front.

No matter what 2000 watts eats axle gears. I've found hot racing gears don't hold up near as long as the axial heavy duty gears.

I'd think with mix matches ratios crawling in high traction environments would put more stress on components this bashing on the dirt or foffung on the sand where the tires are constantly breaking loose

Last edited by evan03; 11-25-2013 at 07:04 PM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
I'd think with mix matches ratios crawling in high traction environments would put more stress on components this bashing on the dirt or foffung on the sand where the tires are constantly breaking loose
It can, but the run times are way shorter and less frequent when comping. Mile for mile, a comp rig see's way less action than a basher, trail rig, or FOFF.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've never noticed a difference in motor temp no matter what diff gears I've ran. I do prefer od/ud gears in my FOFF though. Having the front pulling makes it turn faster on big steep climbs. It does make the back feel jittery on level ground though since it's basically being drug around. I need to pick up a set of HD stock ratio gears for the rear, that should fix it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Hoof Hearted?

I have Wraith drivetrain in my scaler and with a brushed setup I was generating tons of heat. Talked to a one of the guys I crawl with and he had the same problem with his Wraith. Once he switched to brushless, the heat went away. I'm running brushless now on 3s with a 16/87 ratio, overdriven in front with no heat issues at all.
I'm not sure why Wraith drivetrain is so much harder on brushed setups than the AX/SCX drivetrain, but it is. Or at least from what I've experienced.
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I wached Werx rig thats in Idaho run screaming hot lime be careful or you get s tattoo kinda hot it was high dollar brushed stuff. When I felt it I'm like man that's freaking hot he's like ohh he's just running it.. no matter what these guys say its wring gearing WTO g motor wrong voltage or all the above. One thing I've found in this hobby is those that seem to know it all don't. Youl learn mso much more from the quite types then you will the mowthy know it alls. But the know it alls are always

Last edited by evan03; 11-25-2013 at 08:00 PM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
I wached Werx rig thats in Idaho run screaming hot lime be careful or you get s tattoo kinda hot it was high dollar brushed stuff. When I felt it I'm like man that's freaking hot he's like ohh he's just running it.. no matter what these guys say its wring gearing WTO g motor wrong voltage or all the above. One thing I've found in this hobby is those that seem to know it all don't. Youl learn mso much more from the quite types then you will the mowthy know it alls. But the know it alls are always

Been drinking a bit tonight?

I think I figured out what you're saying and I can agree with it for the most part but I can't see od/ud gears making a huge difference with motor temps. 2 of my rigs have them and I have no motor heating issues.

Running a 66 tooth spur and 30 tooth pinion on the other hand...
Old 11-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I was contemplating maybe just trying a pinion gear change and leave the ring gears alone in my scx10...So if I switched to a 14t pinion gear should I use it up front or out back for better climbing?..I know going to the 14 will slow down whatever side I use it on but im having a jelly brain moment and forgot what side to slow down ...Im thinking the rear but want to be sure.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The over/under drive ring and pinion gears are a matched set so no mixing & matching will work for long.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #13

Correct^ but yes you want to slow the rear down.
Drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The over/under drive ring and pinion gears are a matched set so no mixing & matching will work for long.

So if I bought a gear set from axial with the 14t pinion it wouldn't mesh up properly with the stock RTR ring gear?

I only noticed the 14T coming with the 38T ring gear and I don't want to change that..stock is 34 I think
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
So if I bought a gear set from axial with the 14t pinion it wouldn't mesh up properly with the stock RTR ring gear?

I only noticed the 14T coming with the 38T ring gear and I don't want to change that..stock is 34 I think

No it won't work, stock gears are straight cut while the aftermarket gears are a helical cut. Why do you not want to change the ring gear? It has to come out anyway to get the pinion out and at that point you're only 4 screws away from changing it and doing it right. Besides the RTR ring gear is craptastic pot metal not the hardened steel used in the upgraded sets.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz250 View Post
Correct^ but yes you want to slow the rear down.

Not thinking 1 tooth will be a drastic difference but if it will help me climb a little better and not drag under some speed I may want to try it..im a trail basher..don't dedicate the truck to any one task..just capability in as many areas I can use it in....Im not thinking my motor pinion and spur gearing would need to be changed or that I would overheat with such a small change...I guess trying it out if possible is what I need to do...lol...Thanks for the confirmation on which end it was.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
No it won't work, stock gears are straight cut while the aftermarket gears are a helical cut. Why do you not want to change the ring gear? It has to come out anyway to get the pinion out and at that point you're only 4 screws away from changing it and doing it right. Besides the RTR ring gear is craptastic pot metal not the hardened steel used in the upgraded sets.
I want a little better ability to climb rather its on a rock or a dirt hill or whatever the case..I was told by underdriving the rear it would help that..but I dont want such a drastic change between the front and rear that my rear tires drag a lot..So was thinking a very small change may fit the bill...I guess I can get the kit with the HD stock ring gear and the other HD kit with the 14T pinion..it should mesh then I suppose.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
I want a little better ability to climb rather its on a rock or a dirt hill or whatever the case..I was told by underdriving the rear it would help that..but I dont want such a drastic change between the front and rear that my rear tires drag a lot..So was thinking a very small change may fit the bill...I guess I can get the kit with the HD stock ring gear and the other HD kit with the 14T pinion..it should mesh then I suppose.

NO using a pinion meant for an underdrive ring gear on a stock ratio ring gear will NOT work for long. The gears are cut as a PAIR if you mix and match ratio's they WILL wear against each other and you'll be out the money for both sets. Get the mix & match idea out of your head already it just simply won't make you happy in the end.

You won't notice much difference tooling around but overdrive front gears will help it climb.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
NO using a pinion meant for an underdrive ring gear on a stock ratio ring gear will NOT work for long. The gears are cut as a PAIR if you mix and match ratio's they WILL wear against each other and you'll be out the money for both sets. Get the mix & match idea out of your head already it just simply won't make you happy in the end.

You won't notice much difference tooling around but overdrive front gears will help it climb.
well I guess I was looking at it like motor pinions and spur gear...as long as the pitch is the same you change whatever gear you want.
If I under drive the rear it will give me the same "effect" as having overdriven the front...just still turning at stock speed in the front

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-25-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

You can switch the ring or pinion on the stock gears no problem since they are straight cut and the ratio remains the same.

Personally I like to overdrive the front first since it will be the end pulling so it will have more load against it and having a hardened steel gear set doing the work is better than the stock pot metal gears seeing an increased load.

overdrive gears.? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UnderDrive and OverDrive Gears???? AsILayDying Axial SCX-10 79 09-13-2014 07:46 PM
overdrive gears crawler pilot Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 13 11-29-2009 04:23 PM