Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Grimaces 'POS' Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Grimaces 'POS' Wraith

Hi, I have recently decided to get into a RC crawler and after about 5 hours of research I finally put my order in for a Wraith kit from tower hobbies early this morning.

While I still techinically call my self an RC newb, I have had a crawler in the past. It was a TXT1 and it was terrible. I bought it built secondhand and it really didn't work well at all. I broke heaps of bits and ended up giving it away for a carton of beer.

That was many years ago. Since then I have been in and out of the RC hobby with my HPI Baja 5B SS that my partner got for me for Xmas, about 8 years ago.
It seems I fix it, run it, break it, then store it for a year and rinse and repeat. I have just finished a minor rebuild of the suspension links and shocks. Thread can be found on the HPI Baja forum - Grimaces 5b SS POS! - HPIBajaForum

I also enjoy my 1:1 off roading, and have a POS Range Rover classic that gets beat around the place.

So given the two above I thought I would combine them and get back into the RC crawler scene. Hence here I am today.

My main aim with this Wraith is to set it up for crawling, not interested in go fast as the Baja is used for that department. I want my son to be able to drive the vehicle safely and continue to learn the many aspects of 4wding from the safety of the Pistol Grip transmitter.

I have been trawling the place pretty hard today and Harley's 'how to' / 'all about' threads have been great. But man the information is overwhelming.

Once the Wraith arrives I will get some pics of the build and have some questions to ask that hopefully you can all help me out with.
In time I hope to learn and be able to pass on the knowledge to the next noob!

Cheers
Grimace

Current Specs;
Wraith Kit
Holmes Hobbies BLE Pro Waterproofed
Turnigy TrackStar 21.5T 1855kv
Castle BEC set at 7.4v
Hitec 7980TH Steer Servo 46kg @ 7.4v
Axial Aluminium Servo horn (24t)
Axial 87T 48p Spur
Axial 12T 48p Pinion
HR Aluminium trans housing
HR Light weight gear set
SuperShafty Ultimate motor mount
Axial Dig Upgrade
Hitec 7955TG Dig Servo >24kg @ 6v (running at 7.4v)
MIP Driveshafts
Axial HD bevel gear set 43T/13T front & rear
Axial Machined link mounts
Priceys Custom Crawlers Titanium Links (inc steering)
Vanquish Chubs & Knuckles
RCBROS Knuckleweight system
Vanquish SLW v4 Wheels
Pitbull Rockbeast 2s (drilled by Crawler Innovations)
Crawler Innovations 6" Double Deuce Soft foams
Carter Fab Aluminium roof panel
Carter Fab Aluminium side panels
Level 3 droop kit installed (custom application to rear)
130mm Topcad shocks up front (40wt)
150mm Topcad shocks out back (40wt)
Axial 55mm Shock braces
Proline Springs super soft!!!
Tripple rate fronts!
FlySky GR3E RX & GT3C TX
Too much $$$

Second Wraith (Purchased August 201 has the following that I am aware of;
Wraith kit
Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster BRXL
Axial 26t or possibly Mabuchi 540 Can lol
Castle BEC @ 6v
Savox SC-1256TG Steer servo 20kg @ 6v
Ebay alloy servo horm (25t)
Robinson Racing 96T 48p Spur
Robinson Racing 12T 48p Pinion
Stock trans
HR Motor mount
Boom racing driveshafts
Bent aluminium links
Vanquish Ti Steer links
HR Chubs & Knuckles
RC4wd Interco Super Swamper Iroks (drilled by me)
Crawler innovation Double Deuce Soft foam inserts
Beadlocked wheels (plastic) with weights installed
210mm shocks front and rear (40wt)
Dx2s TX
SR3300t RX

Last edited by Grimace83; 08-09-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Grimace83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #2

Default Re: Grimaces 'POS' Wraith

Welcome. With your 1:1 knowledge, you'll do great and have a blast. I'm a Wraith/crawler newb myself, but I'm learning fast. Good stuff on this forum. The Wraith is a blast to monkey around with. I've had mine for a couple of months now, and I've upgraded a good portion of the drivetrain already......Tekin ROC 412 motor, Mamba Max Pro ESC, CC BEC, Axial universals, modded driveshafts, 3S lipo, etc. I'm on my way to having a 'bash-proof' crawler. To keep the spending in check, I'm on a strict upgrade-as-I-break plan. It's working so far.

Mike
Bluzboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzboy66 View Post
Welcome. With your 1:1 knowledge, you'll do great and have a blast. I'm a Wraith/crawler newb myself, but I'm learning fast. Good stuff on this forum. The Wraith is a blast to monkey around with. I've had mine for a couple of months now, and I've upgraded a good portion of the drivetrain already......Tekin ROC 412 motor, Mamba Max Pro ESC, CC BEC, Axial universals, modded driveshafts, 3S lipo, etc. I'm on my way to having a 'bash-proof' crawler. To keep the spending in check, I'm on a strict upgrade-as-I-break plan. It's working so far.

Mike
Cheers Mike,
I went down the upgrade as it breaks path with my Baja and plan to do the same with the crawler.

Plans so far are HH brxl and torquemaster Pro combo 35t.
Will have to share my Spektrum dx3.0 radio from my Baja as it come with a second receiver (SR3000) that I can use for now. I know it is a little outdated but I assume it will be fine?

Looking at the Hitec range of servos at the moment, specifically the HS-7955TG, and then last decision will be on the batt (might go with Harleys seggested Turnigy 2200mAh 3) and charger to suit.

Last edited by Grimace83; 12-22-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Excellent choice on the esc and motor. My wraith was built from the beginning as a crawler and hiking trail explorer and I run the same thing. Except my motor is a 27T geared very conservatively.

The DX3.0 will be fine. That was my first "good" radio and I never had a problem with it, other than being heavy! (8 AA batteries wear my hand/arm down after crawling on a mountain top for 6+ hours haha)

The Hitec 7955tg was the servo I tried in mine at first and I found it was too easy to stall out. The wraith with its big tires and axles are really hard on the servo. I'm using a Hitec 7950 at 7.4v now and am in love. For a wraith built for crawling, I would not recommend any less than that. You'll want the VP titanium tie rod as well. Its the only tie rod I haven't been able to bend, and it's not that costly. Your steering will be top notch after this.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Excellent choice on the esc and motor. My wraith was built from the beginning as a crawler and hiking trail explorer and I run the same thing. Except my motor is a 27T geared very conservatively.

The DX3.0 will be fine. That was my first "good" radio and I never had a problem with it, other than being heavy! (8 AA batteries wear my hand/arm down after crawling on a mountain top for 6+ hours haha)

The Hitec 7955tg was the servo I tried in mine at first and I found it was too easy to stall out. The wraith with its big tires and axles are really hard on the servo. I'm using a Hitec 7950 at 7.4v now and am in love. For a wraith built for crawling, I would not recommend any less than that. You'll want the VP titanium tie rod as well. Its the only tie rod I haven't been able to bend, and it's not that costly. Your steering will be top notch after this.
Thanks Jus for the feedback.

It has been suggested to me that I would be better off with a 27T torquemaster instead of the 35T, any opinions on this would be much appreciated.
I also have access to a new 16T Team Pro Crawl motor? Would this be an even better choice?

Looking at the 7950 and 7980 as servo options now. Have just found out an associate runs an Australian based hobby shop, and he has some HH gear! So will look to place an order with him after Christmas.

Cheers & in case I don't get back on (lol) wishing everyone a Merry Xmas

Grimace
Old 12-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion the 27t Torquemaster Pro is the perfect brushed motor for a wraith built to crawl. It's also got some wheel speed when you want is so it's the perfect compromise. That 27t has crazy acceleration and the torque just makes me grin from ear to ear. It's pretty smooth at low throttle too. The 35t you were going for would also not be a bad choice by any means, just a little less wheel speed. I have a 35t torquemaster pro as well but its in my Honcho so hard to make an actual comparison.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
In my opinion the 27t Torquemaster Pro is the perfect brushed motor for a wraith built to crawl. It's also got some wheel speed when you want is so it's the perfect compromise. That 27t has crazy acceleration and the torque just makes me grin from ear to ear. It's pretty smooth at low throttle too. The 35t you were going for would also not be a bad choice by any means, just a little less wheel speed. I have a 35t torquemaster pro as well but its in my Honcho so hard to make an actual comparison.
Thanks Jus,

Just confirming I have ordered the CC BEC Pro and a 7980 servo

Engine and ESC next, then all I need is to select a battery and charger shortly after that.

EDIT: And to receive and build the kit. Getting a bit a head of myself.

Last edited by Grimace83; 12-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Grimace,

Glad to hear that you've researched and read around the forum BEFORE your purchase. Welcome and Merry Christmas!

Quote:
I agree with Jus' comments in this thread, except that I prefer either a 540 motor with more turns geared up or Traxxas Titan 550 21 turn motor geared up and of course run on 3s.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Grimace,

Glad to hear that you've researched and read around the forum BEFORE your purchase. Welcome and Merry Christmas!

I agree with Jus' comments in this thread, except that I prefer either a 540 motor with more turns geared up or Traxxas Titan 550 21 turn motor geared up and of course run on 3s.

Thanks Natedog,

I am trying to get as much info as possible before I make a poor decision. I made many with my Baja 5B and I want to minimize the errors in this build. Thus saving $$$ and allowing me to focus more money on worth while upgrades.

This is also why I will be assembling the vehicle with the stock pinion and spur and testing how it all goes before I swap/upgrade the gearing.
I figure that so long as the engine is decent I will get to a sweet spot with slight changes to the gearing.
My plan was to run 84/14 but until I get the car setup and tested I really don't know what will be preferred for the type of use I intend.

I do know that no matter what, I will enjoy the build! I also think this will not be the only crawler in my household come end of 2014.

Now on a different subject, what is peoples overall opinion on the Turnigy 2200mah 40C 3s LiPo packs and Balance 6 charger? They are cheap and hopefully OK quality?
Further more the traxxas connectors? I was thinking about buying a pack of them to convert all connecting points.

Last edited by Grimace83; 12-24-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I run those batts and there awesome.
Can charge really fast if you've got a decent 10amp charger. Slower with a 5amp plug in the wall charger but not bad.

There are tons of ways to go about building a rig the Harley way definitely isn't a bad way to go.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't run stock gearing. 80/20 is pretty high. I would ditch the spur and get the Axial 87t spur instead. Start at 87/16 and go up/down from there depending on how it works for you.

I've used the Traxxas connectors for years. I really like them. They are easy to install and are nice and big so easy to plug and unplug.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Kit arrived last week while I was away. Got a bit done on it over the last two days.

First impressions are the instructions are not 100%. Shocks are a pain to get right and equal, and can't see them holding oil for long.
The tyres are orsum. Love the look and how tacky they are.
Heaps of added parts to chose from for the aesthetics.
Cutting out the panels is where I am at and don't have the right gear.
The overall quality is not near as good as the hpi Baja but I was not expecting it to be.
The build is tougher the I expected due to the small size of many fixings.

Yet to order the motor and esc. Battery's and charger order from hobby king keeps failing.
Forgot all about ordering the pinion and spur...
Will get there eventually.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Prob should include a pick of the box moments after I opened it!
My main/first interest was clearly the tyres

Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Ok so just started the cutting of the panels. Done about 4 inches of cut and am already over it.
Getting a price from Carterfab for the setup. But still have to do the interior panel arghh.

Also trying to find if I can get a range rover classic style hood?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

OK so is pretty much built. Just done a test run before I hard wire all the esc, bec etc.

First issue was throttle is reversed. No worries I thought just need to swap the motor wires.
But then I noticed the steering is also reversed!

Before I do anything I wanted to check if that is the symptoms of something obvious to a more experienced rc hobbyist.

Any tips? ???
Old 02-01-2014, 04:12 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

All good got the manual for the transmitter. Fixed it!

But...

Only used it around the house for a few minutes. The tyres don't stay on the rims. Think I might have missed a step. Surely they can't be this bad stock.

35t and 14p 87s is Def not to slow. Glad I didn't go for the 25t.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:41 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace83 View Post
All good got the manual for the transmitter. Fixed it!

But...

Only used it around the house for a few minutes. The tyres don't stay on the rims. Think I might have missed a step. Surely they can't be this bad stock.

35t and 14p 87s is Def not to slow. Glad I didn't go for the 25t.
if they are the kit wheels you will need to glue the tires to the wheel
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Yes the kit tires are tacky, R35 compound. They seem to perform decently!
Breat 1.8T syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Yep they are the r35 rip saws. I think I was concerned about gluing them as I do intend to change the foams and wheels eventually.
So if I do glue them what the recommend method for removal when the time comes for new foams?
Old 02-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace83 View Post
Yep they are the r35 rip saws. I think I was concerned about gluing them as I do intend to change the foams and wheels eventually.
So if I do glue them what the recommend method for removal when the time comes for new foams?
you can put them in the oven at low temp and will release the glue .i think harley have something about this in his build
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Grimaces 'POS' Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
POS FlySky GT-3B or POS FXR ??? SOLVED !! bbking9 Electronics 17 02-06-2012 08:08 AM
my pos XSRCdesign Chit Chat 31 08-02-2011 08:26 PM
2-pos to 3-pos dig converter advice wantAsummit Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 08-18-2010 03:01 PM
2-pos to 3-pos dig converter advice wantAsummit Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 08-18-2010 03:01 PM