Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Gillbilly's Moto Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Gillbilly's Moto Wraith

I have been lurking in RCC for about 6 months for some ideas and tips but do most of my posting on URC. I figured I might as well post a few pics on here and make myself known so I don't look like some total newb when I start hitting up people for info or vendors for some of their handy work.

This is my Wraith that started out with a cage that I got off eBay for $30 and have been putting together in my spare time at work. I had a bunch of spare electronics to throw in it and built it up with mostly stock parts so there isn't anything special about this build. So far this is what is in it:

Solar D772 servo
Castle BEC set at 7.4v
Axial Vanguard AE-3 ESC
Axial Vanguard 2900kv motor
FS GR3C rx tucked into a Traxxas Rally rx box
Some old VG Racing shocks that I had from a 2Pede / Rusty
STRC steering links, caster blocks, steering knuckles, lockouts
GH 2.2 weighted aluminum beadlocks with 2.2 vented Rock Lizards
Junfac driveshafts
Overdrive 36/14 front diff gears
Axial aluminum links
An Exo wing and Turnkey engine from the spare parts bin
Front and rear lights from my Honcho
USMC Desert Digital MARPAT vinyl skin and a bright shiny seal from a sheet of stickers I got on my last reenlistment.

Not much to brag about but like I said, I just wanted to get some posts out there and say hey to everyone. I look forward to many discussions and ideas from the creative minds on here. Have a good day.
gillbily23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Gillbilly's Moto Wraith

that's one sick looking rig bro.
I can see it flying through the air with that big brushless set up. pics please.
captainp243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #3

+1 I can't say I've ever seen a wing on a wraith
The paint scheme rocks also!!!
cjanderson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the compliments. I am going to be throwing a 3S in it to see if I can get some more wheel speed out of it with this system but I wasn't real thrilled with it in my Exo even on 3S. I may keep the ESC and throw in a higher kv motor or go ahead and grab another HW SC8 WP ESC to really open up my options. All but one of my rigs are waterproof and the one that isn't is because it has a sensored system and I hate it. I do have some 12T Titan motors that I could mess around with. I am not looking to get a lot of speed out of this but I would like to be able to get a little air with it.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #5

Can you tell me about your caster blocks?

I have the STRC steering links, c-hubs, and knuckles but when assembled the wheels don't look right.

Thanks
PipeDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

MMP + ROC412 3100kv. that set up with do anything you want it to do. easy to waterproof as well.
captainp243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDream View Post
Can you tell me about your caster blocks?

I have the STRC steering links, c-hubs, and knuckles but when assembled the wheels don't look right.

Thanks
I actually have mine flipped opposite from the way the Wraith manual shows them installed. I have them installed so that the longer knuckle mounting arm is on top. I also switched the knuckles and flipped them so that the double steering link mounts are facing forward. It gives the front wheels just a hair of positive camber but this thing isn't my SCT and a little camber isn't going to affect it.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainp243 View Post
MMP + ROC412 3100kv. that set up with do anything you want it to do. easy to waterproof as well.
I firmly believe that Castle products are overrated and overpriced. I have tried them and the SC8 WP is a better deal price wise and has a good strong 6v BEC. I will still use an external BEC for the rigs where I need full torque and speed using 7.4v but a Solar D772 on 6v is still a beast. I know that the SC8 WP doesn't run sensored motors but I don't care for them either as I have one and it ended up in a Slash 2wd LCG that I rarely use.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I have been wanting to go with some trailing arms on my Wraith so I ordered a set of Blue Monkey trailing arms today. I couldn't resist them anymore and the wifey wasn't going to get them for me for Xmas so I had to take matters into my own hands.

Anyways, I ended up throwing 36/14 gears in the rear diff as well for a little more wheel speed and swapped out the Vanguard 2900kv motor for a Tacon 3200. I still haven't bothered with trying it on 3S yet seeing I have been messing around with other projects. The 3200 does have a little hesitation at first so I may go ahead and throw my sensored system in it to give it a whirl.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Made a few changes to the Moto Wraith and had to give a shout out to DMG for an awesome short back stiffy kit! The BMRC trailing arms were installed and love them as well. Here are a few pics of the tear down and rebuild during the stiffy kit installation. I still have to cut the rear panel for the wing and fuel cell but I did get it mocked up for now. I would go into more detail about it but I am sure everyone has already seen how the kit goes together and I already posted up a more descriptive post about it on another thread. Call me lazy

The tear down:

And installing everything:

And the mock up of the rear panel:

Going to get the rear panel finished up tonight and should be all buttoned up tomorrow. I still have to get some Adel clamps to replace the hood hinge I had so some handy dandy zip ties are being used for now. Thanks again Jerry for the stiffy and uber fast shipping!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I forgot to mention that I waterproofed the Hobbywing XERun 8.5T 4000kv sensored motor that I had and threw that system in it, LOVE IT! I am running 13/54 gears on 2S so it is modest but still crawls pretty good, no cogging.

Gillbilly's Moto Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moto gp Benzbuildr Chit Chat 5 04-18-2013 02:21 PM
Moto GP Crash Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 7 12-21-2011 02:27 AM
Moto gp : ( Benzbuildr Chit Chat 15 10-25-2011 12:25 AM
Moto Test moto Testing 1 2 3 0 12-21-2008 08:29 PM
Moto Cross smallcrawler Chit Chat 90 10-11-2006 03:48 AM