Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Want to build a wraith rock bouncer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #1

Default Want to build a wraith rock bouncer

I got a wraith build kit a short time ago, and decided to build it up more for bashing, than crawling. Not long after a friend got me to watch some of the Videos about the Kinf of the Hammers and I had no idea they made the rigs that bad *ss. I have been watching the videos for hours and want to try and build a rock bouncer wraith. But I am not sure where to start.

I did a search and have seen that others have custom fabbed some cages, but I don't have the skills to do anything like that. I know they would be expensive, if someone was making them to sell, but haven't been able to find any links to buy some of those cages.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is to buy some aluminum for the axels to beef it up. I currently have a sidewinder brushless system in it. And A hitec 7950mg servo. Where else can I go from here?
skift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Want to build a wraith rock bouncer

RC4WD has a KOH chassis if you wanted to go that route. Check it out...King Of Hammer Scale Crawler Chassis Frame
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Do a search for ultra4 wraith. You can also you tube some ultra 4 rc videos. I am currently working on transforming my wraith into an ultra4 rig.
DIRTSLINGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Some times chassis's will pop up on eBay
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

There is a big difference between Ultra4 and a Rock bouncer.
For an Ultra4 the stock cage is right on track IMO. Search for the fastback cage mod as just make it your own.
Also look up Harley's budget Wraith videos on here and YouTube. Hours of upgrades that he kept in a budget - He explains why and how and to be honest, Harley don't use no Crap parts.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
There is a big difference between Ultra4 and a Rock bouncer.
For an Ultra4 the stock cage is right on track IMO. Search for the fastback cage mod as just make it your own.
Also look up Harley's budget Wraith videos on here and YouTube. Hours of upgrades that he kept in a budget - He explains why and how and to be honest, Harley don't use no Crap parts.
Yea I have done the fastback mood already which I like. I will look for those videos thanks.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I agree with doublej. Rock bouncers don't have anything to do with KOH.

KOH:

Rock bouncer:

Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #8

Yea after looking up the ultra4s are pretty nice. I remember how much I liked my exo. But I kind of want it to more like the rock bouncer. I'm just really getting into KOH. I thought the rick bouncers were part of it. Not the main race event. But the others.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skift View Post
Yea after looking up the ultra4s are pretty nice. I remember how much I liked my exo. But I kind of want it to more like the rock bouncer. I'm just really getting into KOH. I thought the rick bouncers were part of it. Not the main race event. But the others.
KOH/ultra4 is a different beast all together than rock bouncing southern buggies. Ultra4 is a organization that holds race events that often have high speed desert sections with aggressive rock sections sprinkled in. You could compare it to baja style racing with rock crawling sections added.

Rock bouncers are mainly a southern phenomenon. They are much heavier, less race engineering, more "hot rod" style building. They are mainly used to hill shoot.

A Koh/ultra4 rig is designed to race for hours on end. A southern buggy is designed to bounce for a minute or two.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
KOH/ultra4 is a different beast all together than rock bouncing southern buggies. Ultra4 is a organization that holds race events that often have high speed desert sections with aggressive rock sections sprinkled in. You could compare it to baja style racing with rock crawling sections added.

Rock bouncers are mainly a southern phenomenon. They are much heavier, less race engineering, more "hot rod" style building. They are mainly used to hill shoot.

A Koh/ultra4 rig is designed to race for hours on end. A southern buggy is designed to bounce for a minute or two.
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would much rather a KOH style wraith than a rock bouncer. The bouncer sounds like a lot of broken parts.
Cmarcan167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

This is what I'd think is a blend of bouncing and go fast. Built to be light as possible

Old 02-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

There will be southern buggies at KOH this year. A few guys are traveling over for a hill climb shoot out.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Except that wouldn't be in the spirit of something like u4, as it's billed as "scale" rock racing. Although I'm sure they'd let it run. And southern buggies have more cage and flowing curves just like southern women and their child bearing hips.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Lol.

It will for sure not score as many scale points
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Not everything is about the points, it's about being part of the community, building for the looks and "scale". While trying to balance the performance of it at the same time. It's all a challenge
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Not everything is about the points, it's about being part of the community, building for the looks and "scale". While trying to balance the performance of it at the same time. It's all a challenge
I agree. While it can be about points, it doesn't have to be.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
This is what I'd think is a blend of bouncing and go fast. Built to be light as possible

That looks pretty awesome actually. I have been looking up some of the ifs/wrexo/koh builds and think that may be pretty fun.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Went to a koh event today in johnson valley. Cold but completly awsome!I didnt see any rock bouncers.took the wraith it was bad @$$. My 0.02 cents but I would keep the plastic cage until u find a nice tube chassis. I seen one last night in the for sale sec for 225. Well worth tbe coin.
puffntough760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #20

a southern rock bouncer is headed out west for KOH and will probably do great.. GO TEAM PLOWBOY
Zingablaxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounce, koh

Want to build a wraith rock bouncer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check out this BA rock bouncer Constant Threat Chit Chat 1 01-08-2014 10:28 PM
Edmond OK Rock Bouncer ksdtoday Oklahoma 2 11-18-2013 11:15 AM
project Night Fury-a rock bouncer build. warren 1.9 Scale Rigs 63 08-08-2013 03:30 PM