Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: I want to build a Wraith Hill Climber and need some advice –

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default I want to build a Wraith Hill Climber and need some advice –

First off, I’d like to run 2.2 Boggers on Vanquish wheels. Should I weight the front wheels or all 4? I would think just the front in order to keep it down as it bounces up the hill.
Next, what consideration to suspension over stock should I think about? I was thinking about the axial Comp Shocks and Vanquish links all around. I think it would be beneficial to lower the CG as well.
Moving on to Drive train and what is needed. I’m thinking MIP front and rear shafts but I am not sure what I need for the transmission and the axles to make them tough. I could use some help here for sure.
That leads to what gearing, motor, ESC Combo to go with, brush or brushless setup? Not knowing if my thinking is correct here, but wouldn’t a brush setup be strained in hill climbing and overheat with the constant trigger pull? Wouldn’t brushless be a better way to go here? I need good wheel speed to keep the tires clean out.
And finally, I’d like to have some smooth crawl capability also. This is not a primary need but it’d be nice to have. I know a brush setup would be best here but if it were to be brushless it would need to be sensored, correct?
Thanks for the help!!!!!
Markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: I want to build a Wraith Hill Climber and need some advice –

Bumping to the top!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Hello! Honestly it is all trial and error with a lot of personal preference... With that in mind I will answer your questions to how I would start the tuning on my hill climber. I would weight the front tires slightly and leave the rears alone. You will want it to ride low for a low COG, but not in to much shock droop so it is controllable when at speed. The shocks will be a major part in the rig preforming well and being fun to drive! VP links would be a good upgrade but you could also make your own with 8-32 or 4mm all thread rod and Revo rod ends. (8-32 is slightly deeper threads so it bites better in the rod ends). Mip All the way!!! lol I like then a lot... ;) The axles and transmission depend on your budget and what motor system. In general I would get VP C-hubs and knuckles, lockouts are optional. if running fast motor you will want to replace the pinion bearings in the diff with Bushings (they last longer) probably HD gears and a good locker/spool. Transmission just go checkout super shafty and get what you see fit for your truck. They have some amazing parts there!!!
I use the Mamba max Pro esc in my trucks and LOVE it! It will run pretty much anything on a 2s/3s/4s lipo but you can run up to 5s/6s. Motor hmmm probably brushless but the proper brushed would work too check out Holmes Hobbies/Tekin Racing, with brushless you will want sensored. Gearing search the forms for some one with the same motor/esc and similar setup then start there.
RcEngineer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Brushless will definitely be better IMHO. MMP with either a Tekin ROC412 or Pro 4 3300. To run brushless power though, make sure you upgrade to steel trans and axle gears. Robinson one piece bottom diff and idler on the trans and then axial hd axle gears and pick good lockers, like Locked Up RC FI spools, etc. Weighed front wheels out even knuckle weights would help. Battery up front, and then make sure you run your esc in sensored mode. That's a good starting point. Also, if you haven't already, get a good servo with at least 300oz of torque to turn those heavy front wheels.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I prefer to start out with a budget build and when stuff start breaking, then I spend big money to fix it. What I mean, no reason to build a completely bullet proof rig when you don't plan to shoot it with a gun.

All my suggestions come from testing and experience and have proven solid.

brushed or brushless, arguement for the ages - you can try a 27-35t brushed motor on 3s lipo or you can spend the extra money on a brushless sensored esc and motor - keep in mind, as stated above, you will surely need to upgrade the entire drive train if you go brushless.

Driveshafts - I have found if you simply fill the center of the hollow drive shaft with a 6mm rod (I use a long bolt and cut off the threaded part and bolt head) you can make the stock shafts hold to some serious punishment.

I run stock transmission gears with a 27t team brood spectra motor 87/16 gears - 2s/3s, matters not. Stock gears hold up fine. Keep in mind, if you run brushless, you will eat your gears eventually.

Suspension - I like to use the Axial aluminum shock bodies, black super soft springs and I drill out the 3 hole shock piston with a 1/16th drill to make the shocks smooth and droopy. Here is my original post about it.

why spend 80-100$ on shocks? I have a cheaper alternative

I put about 6oz weight in the front wheels and I run R35 rippers, moved the battery to the front, CS-170 servo with a BEC at 6v, Vanquish C-Hubs on stock plastic knuckles with a Vanquish Ti steering link set.

You will always have wheel hop - its a combination of wheels, foams, weight bias, rear pushing up on the rig etc. One way to really fight wheel hop is run HD overdrive gears in the front and HD underdrive gears in the rear - CAUTION: this will limit your ability for highspeed running or flat surface, high traction runs as it will change the gear ratio between the front and rear axles (makes the wheels spin at different speeds) yet your transmission has no way to allow slippage and add undue stress on the transmission output gear and shafts. **The rear output gear will have reverse stress since the rear tires are spinning slower it will essentially, drag the rear tires.

If you have ever put two different size times on a full time 4x4, you know what I'm getting at here.

Last edited by redsawacs; 02-20-2014 at 10:12 AM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Awesome guys! Thanks for some great advice. I appreciate it!
I'm compiling my list of upgrades and well...wow. I hit the $1500 mark Lol.
That's my ultimate build and I may get there but in the mean time I'll have to somewhere and work towards it.

So with that in mind.. do I start with a bombproof tranny? Vanquish axles all the way through?
I think I'm leaning towards the MMP and Tekin redline pro 3300kv or Rs Pro and rock412t or vise versa.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I would indeed start with the trans and work your way out. Have read from some people that the vanquish lockers don't always hold the axle shafts in place very well. That's went I mentioned the Locked Up fi spools. Fairly inexpensive too. Can do both axles for about $40.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

That's cool. Sounds like a plan. I'll get the bombproof 5mm trans from SuperShafty & MIP driveshafts to start the build. If I went 6mm would I have to change more in the axles?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm a big fan of the "If it aint' broke don't fix it" way of thinking. I've been running my Wraith with a Tekin Redline 13.5t motor and 3S & 4S for two years now. I did stuff some plastic inside the male end of the drive shafts. Pulled the cover off of the tranny a couple of weeks ago and there is absolutely no visible wear on any of the gears. Diffs look good too. I'm glad I didn't waste my $$ on drive line upgrades since they obviously aren't really needed. If it ever breaks then I buy upgraded replacement parts.

Last edited by GrimJeeper91; 02-24-2014 at 06:59 AM.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Grim! I do plan to do this I guess. Right now, I'm trying to find the TSL Boggers in stock, and decide on what wheels to run. I really want a set a Vanquish OMF in Orange and Black config BUT they are not cheap and I may hold off on these until later. Maybe just go with the Gmade Mudrocks for now and the 2.2 Boggers.

Also, I love shocks, who doesn't? I am thinking about going all out here on a set of Kyosha Velvet shocks. Just not sure what length to get. I'm thinking of adding the VP droop kit as well so maybe the 4.5" shock is the way to go? I think the stock wraith length is 4", correct?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

If you are wanting to climb some gnarly big hills check out my thread. DMGkoh7 on here "wraith forum" its a hammers style cage but the short rear end and my setup let me get away with doing some crazy hill climbs. Hopefully I'll be able to get some video in the spring. But anyway I have cut a few sets of discontinued rc4wd 2.2 rock stompers and for non rock running. Ie dirt, grass, whatever else they are amazing. Their on my rig in the thread. If you are interested I could take closeups of the cut.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
savagebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Nice savage! I'll check it out!!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

So any suggestions on the length of the kyosho shocks?
Old 02-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Bump.

Ordered some 2.2 Boggers today and some Gear head Trail kings.
Still undecided on shocks.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Probly save some money and get some traxxas 4" big bores. Awesome shocks.

Cut boggers work well as dirt tire. Stock they suck. I'd also recommend some prolind over size memory foams or possibly CI single stage.

Yup if it doesn't brake don't fix it
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have to go Boggers at 1st. And I don't mind cutting them. I've always wanted a real set for my bronco so this is as close as I can get for now Lol.
And I run pro line shocks on both the P2de and P4de and they've been great!

Last edited by Markeje; 02-22-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

What's everyone's thoughts on the AX2 tranny?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Voltage is your friend the ax2 in my opion is not.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Can you elaborate?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Pick your poison 4s smooth and slow but fast on the top end. 3s kinda fast and slower 2s still kinda fast slowest.

3000kv motor or so is what I'd shoot for has to sensor.

To me a two speed is more cost and more to go wrong

I like the keep it stupid simple principal. Kiss

I want to build a Wraith Hill Climber and need some advice – - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hill climb advice jaredcrawler185 Formula Offroad 50 03-31-2013 09:07 AM
wanting to put together a crawler/hill climber need some advice/options mudd_slinger Venom Creeper 15 12-09-2011 04:23 PM
Hill climber H2 on 55" iroks.... far from the typical H2 MG200 2.2 Scale Rigs 53 05-25-2011 04:17 PM
Hill climber? new rc sport? I have an Idea LOL twisted77 Formula Offroad 5 06-13-2007 09:22 PM