Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Just bought a wraith poison spider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Just bought a wraith poison spider

So as the title says I just ordered me a wraith from tower hobbies I could pass up on the price.i got the rtr with a 3000 mah battery for 339 shipped. now I just need some input on what to upgrade first?
ptaryan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Just bought a wraith poison spider

My advice? Your best upgrade is to start saving your money, drive it how you want and fix what breaks or isn't good enough in the order you recognize it. There may be people who say "this, this and this must go" but your the only one who will know, the stock RTR may be perfect for you, or it may not, it's all up to you!
seanmnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Move the battery up front. It's Free too! Then pitch the motor for a 35t HH. Don't forget your BEC for your new high torque Hitec or Savox servo!
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

And forgot one thing....you must enjoy working on it, as much as driving it! Welcome to the madness! And congrats!
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Well I've heard cvd's are a must and the aluminum steering linkages, but I'm just going to run the cap out of it then fix it .
Old 02-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Run it till it breaks my rtr lasted less then 5min till first breakage a week later a vp stage 1 kit about 3min later and broke front link 1 more week a vp 10pc link kit and still original charge on NiMH battery and funky smell started coming from motor now 6 months later a few thousands of dollars and I have a pile of parts and a few in the mail still not enough for me to feel confident its not gonna break first battery out my advice is good tools and thread locker first then some better screws/hardware and disassemble and put back together using blue thread locker everywhere you can I'm newb to rc wraith is first one I've had and it will try to hurt your feelings if your not carefull first two problems were a result of loose/missing screws out the box good luck and have fun
vicstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:25 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Oh yeah I've done the whole rtr tear down and rebuild I will do the same to this. if it wasn't for the great price I would have opted for the kit but for a back up esc servo and motor for $30 it would be stupid not to buy the rtr
Old 02-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

the only thing i would do right away is change the gearing down a bit. i run 87t and a 16 or 18t pinion depending on if i am crawling or trail running. that will let the motor last a little longer. but for now, just go have fun.
bmf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I would recommend that you do go over the rig and make sure the screws and fasteners are all tight, and none are missing. Replace the screws that hold the C-hubs and steering knuckles with better machine screws. Theyre the self tapping style from the factory. They back off alot and can drop away during running. Then you may be replacing components at that time.
Just get a good solid idea of what it has and make sure its tight and ready for a run. If you drive in the wet stuff, youll need to remove and clean the bearings in the axles, and then re-oil them before reinstalling them again. Sounds bad maybe but it will help to keep the truck running well.
Enjoy it. Theyre really not a bad deal. Every rc has goods and bads ya know.
MikeMontgomery1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Steering links and a servo with a BEC. If you plan to do a lot of crawling, you will need to gear it lower or you will burn up the motor.
Scott410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #11

I smoked my plastic 80t spur gear within the first 3 days. got parts to fix this. going with the robinson racing 87t metal spur and keeping the 20t pinion gear. also ordered the RR idler gear for good kicks and some g=made driveshafts
Boneshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Honestly other than the stock motor, first thing I replaced on my rtr was the upper and lower links. They got rubbery after a couple bashing type runs. Also, you could replace the stock pinion and spur with 32p flavor. Then run the crap out of it and fix/upgrade as you see fit.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I will eventually go to a good sensored brushless but 230 seems a little steep for the tekin pro 4. I'll have to do some more looking any input on the hobbyking 80 amp esc with the turnigy sensor brushless? it would be about $70 shipped, I'm assuming it's junk compared to the tekin
Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

For motors check out Holmes Hobbies, I bought one of their motors to start and won't go with any other!
seanmnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Yup the MMP-Pro 4 combo is a little spendy, but it'll be the last one you'll buy for the wraith. Forced myself to do it and can't believe I waited so long. Brings the Wraith to life.

But there are certainly other options out there that give great performance too for less coin.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Ive just got PS wraith too. Ive upgraded the steering the linkage to an aluminum one, Changed the servo to a more powerful one and changed the gearing as i want it as more of a crawler and it works fine. I havnt touched the motor or anything. Ive put a BEC in for the new steering servo and moved the battery up front for better weight and put the ESC in the back, however this means you have to cut the hood and hinge it. Look at my build thread. Other than that the thing is stock and it does fine.

You will see other build threads where money is being spent here there and everywhere but im just going to fix what breaks and have fun bashing it about! Its a perfectly capable truck out of the box. Just check the screws are all tight. My servo kept coming loose so i glued the screws in. Also the front wheels will hit the fenders on full flex but its not a problem
burgerboy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I am literally buildong the kit right now. I added beef tubes in the axles front and rear. And I Added a pair of DMG differential skid plates. I am going to upgrade when it breaks as well. I am waiting on my steering servo to arrive on Monday. But the rig is nowhere near built. Just axles links skid plate and tranny, so far
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #18

I just bought one as well and it's a great crawler to start with. I did the servo horn and steering linkage so far as well as 27.5 weight shock oil all around which really made a difference
Lueger68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneshaker View Post
I smoked my plastic 80t spur gear within the first 3 days. got parts to fix this. going with the robinson racing 87t metal spur and keeping the 20t pinion gear. also ordered the RR idler gear for good kicks and some g=made driveshafts
Id stay with plastic Spur. Rather that part strip since its pretty cheap and easy to get too. Just make sure gear mesh is correct and you will be fine.
BallnM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Just bought a wraith poison spider - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
87yota's Poison Spider Wraith... 87yota Axial Wraith 4 01-13-2014 12:20 PM
Mtgrizzlymns poison spider 1.9 curried wraith mtgrizzlymn 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 11-16-2013 03:15 PM