Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Just got universals, what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just got universals, what next?

I've been messing with my Wraith slowly but surely. Upgraded the steering first, then motor upgrade. Was looking for more steering angle and noticed people stating universals were about the best thing to do.

Is this really the only thing that needs to be done in order to get more steering? I don't need to change anything else?

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks.
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just got universals, what next?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

I noticed a big difference in steering range when upgrading to the universals. I think it might be too much steering, I need to take a little out by adjusting the endpoints I think.
wraithmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithmike View Post
I noticed a big difference in steering range when upgrading to the universals. I think it might be too much steering, I need to take a little out by adjusting the endpoints I think.
Great to hear. That's a problem I'd like to have. Always better to have to much and take some away than need more, I'd say.

They just pop in right? No mods.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

You can install extended wheel hexes. I use +5mm aluminum hexes with the Axial CVDs and +3mm extenders in rear to fit the stock axle shafts in rear. There is no such thing as too much steering with the wraith. Just back your e.p.a. a little. My e.p.a is set to just a hair off the shock springs, they do rub but don't pop them off.
DinehCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

OK I got the unjversals but wanted to know if this was an appropriate amount of travel before binding.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Your wheel will never turn that much. Unless you removed your shock, and lower links!

Have you upgraded your servo yet?
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Oh OK cool. I haven't done any checking as of yet, just pulled them out and played with them. Yes as far as the servo I have a waterproof Savox waiting to be installed.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #9

you better go ahead and plan on chubs and knuckles too, it never stops thats the fun!
mbrycet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrycet View Post
you better go ahead and plan on chubs and knuckles too, it never stops thats the fun!
What purpose does upgrading those do? I actually did buy them but I never really got why people suggested them. They seem like they aren't really failure points.. maybe I'm wrong?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
What purpose does upgrading those do? I actually did buy them but I never really got why people suggested them. They seem like they aren't really failure points.. maybe I'm wrong?
Your kinda wrong....granted some people will never need to replace them,but most...like my self upgrade them for that time when your front wheel gets bound up so you turn and gun it and snap! Poor little plastic didn't make it. It's just a good" failure" point to eliminate instead of being out mid day fun run and have to pack up, they also don't flex and get soft and brittle. "Thumbs up"

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I'll be the first to tell you, you don't need to upgrade your knuckles.....ever! Break them once....chalk it up to fluke ad buy stock again. I run stock knuckles on everything, even my sportsman crawler.

C-hubs on the other hand, had several issues with those, but maybe that's just me. If you replace the stock c-hub to knuckle screw with a 3mm machine screw, shouldn't have ant issues with the screw backing out and snapping the c-hub.

I replace all the stock hardware with machine screws...except for the frame screws.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin707 View Post
Your kinda wrong....granted some people will never need to replace them,but most...like my self upgrade them for that time when your front wheel gets bound up so you turn and gun it and snap! Poor little plastic didn't make it. It's just a good" failure" point to eliminate instead of being out mid day fun run and have to pack up, they also don't flex and get soft and brittle. "Thumbs up"

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Well I'm glad that I purchased them then. I also got the rear knuckles or torque tubes I think they are called. Thanks for the tips guys!.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
I'll be the first to tell you, you don't need to upgrade your knuckles.....ever! Break them once....chalk it up to fluke ad buy stock again. I run stock knuckles on everything, even my sportsman crawler.

C-hubs on the other hand, had several issues with those, but maybe that's just me. If you replace the stock c-hub to knuckle screw with a 3mm machine screw, shouldn't have ant issues with the screw backing out and snapping the c-hub.

I replace all the stock hardware with machine screws...except for the frame screws.
With the aluminum parts I assume they use the machined screws so I guess I'm good to go! Thanks for the suggestuons!

Just got universals, what next? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Universals for SCX10 stonzo Axial SCX-10 9 08-15-2012 01:16 PM
Universals for WK? billysnarf HPI Wheely King 12 08-30-2008 10:00 AM
CC-01 Touareg Universals constantmotion 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 12-27-2007 12:58 PM