Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: "The Home Wrecker" DMG style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default "The Home Wrecker" DMG style

First off I have to say a special thanks to Jerry at DMG! This is his 1000th custom chassis and to celebrate he gave it away! I was fortunate enough to be the recipient and I hope I can do this incredible work of craftsmanship justice. As for the thread title well my better half always teases me about the crawlers being my "fling on the side" so...... On to some pics!
Attached Images

Scocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: "The Home Wrecker" DMG style

What I have planned is a middle ground between a Wraith and a 1.9 Wraith. I am going to run SCX axles, and a wheel base of 12.5in to maybe 13in. Will have somewhat small 2.2 tires and as for the rest who knows. I still have an open mind and playing it by ear. Hobby funds are always low so don't expect a ton of high dollar parts tossed at this thing but I think it will cool none the less.

Front axle: SCX housing, RCBros Tubes, Axial XR Universals, VP C-hubs, Stock AR60 Knuckles, gears and steering arms.

Rear Axle: SCX Housing, Unknown monsterous axle shafts, Axial Gears, lockouts.

Electronics: Castle Creations Sv2 ESC, Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Sport 35t with hand-wound armature, Flysky rx, Castle Creations BEC, Savox 1268sg servo.

Suspension: Making my own links and Axial 100mm shocks

Other than that who knows. Pics coming soon!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
RCC Addict

HOME WRECKER!!! BAWHAHAHA!! I think your wife is going to call me that if I don't refrain from assisting the growth of your RC fleet!

Glad my parts are doing more than lining the inside of my spares boxes and tempting me to build a 1.9 wraith!!!

Subscribed!

Last edited by redsawacs; 03-12-2014 at 04:02 PM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Use 1.9 wheels, the 2.2 will look like balloons on those axles. Or even do like I've done with my wraith/scx10 axle build and use some nice 2.2 wheels and run some 1.9 pits stretch over them! It looks killer!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
HOME WRECKER!!! BAWHAHAHA!! Glad my parts are doing more than lining the inside of my spares boxes and tempting me to build a 1.9 wraith!!!

Subscribed!
Me too Brother, me too. Thanks to you as well! Although I am pretty sure you STILL have enough spare parts to build your own.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Congratulations on the #1000 DmG Chassis. Nice start to what should be a wicked build! I look forward to the updates.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

U lucky bastard, that is a awsome chassis can't wait to see what u have in store.break out the credit card and go to Dlux and get some axle hop ups and the hit up Crawler innovation for some foams, tires, and a lot of people don't kn ow it but Ed at CI makes awsome light weight trannys that r bomb proff also. Right on bro good luck
Mr Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Use 1.9 wheels, the 2.2 will look like balloons on those axles. Or even do like I've done with my wraith/scx10 axle build and use some nice 2.2 wheels and run some 1.9 pits stretch over them! It looks killer!
Yes I am concerned they will seem huge. The tires I have for it ar Cut-n-shut Rok Locs that are down to 5" tall but still pretty wide. Going to see what I think of it once I get get to roller status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Congratulations on the #1000 DmG Chassis. Nice start to what should be a wicked build! I look forward to the updates.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
U lucky bastard, that is a awsome chassis can't wait to see what u have in store.break out the credit card and go to Dlux and get some axle hop ups and the hit up Crawler innovation for some foams, tires, and a lot of people don't kn ow it but Ed at CI makes awsome light weight trannys that r bomb proff also. Right on bro good luck
Oh man you dont know how much I would love to! ALMOST feel bad someone with a grip of cash did not win this chassis so it could have the best of everything. But they will just have to buy a chassis too I guess. Truly, I would not stand "a snowballs chance" of having a second trail rig so my daughter and I can crawl together had I not won this chassis. Ever grateful!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Well got to do a little tinkering. Made up a battery tray out of some random bracket I found at work, assembled 4 stock axial shocks, and put all the goodies in the front housing.

I still need a grip of parts. But coming along.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

SWEET - just what I had in mind for my Wraith frame.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Very nice...it came with the panels too? I got to figure some out for my dmg double shock shortback stiffy kit i got...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Finally managed to spend a little time on the new toy! I stole the rear axle out of my comp crawler so I could decide on some link lengths and make some up. I wanted a WB near 13". What I ended up with is, all 4 lower links and the rear uppers are 4.5" Now that I have all the links the right length all that is left is to sleeve them with some .25" aluminum tubing. Don't worry I wont be running the rovers on this rig But that rear axle is very close to the track width of 11" I want. Skid height will be 2.5" give or take a smidgen.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Very nice...it came with the panels too? I got to figure some out for my dmg double shock shortback stiffy kit i got...
Thanks! Yes it came with side panels as well I need to rethink my shock length as well. I planned on shocks in the 4" range but looks like they are going to at max extension to get the ride height I want. And really I dont have enough clearance for all my travel to be compression. I need more droop than uptravel so.... The shocks in pics are original ax10 scorpion shocks and even they are a bit short for what I want.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Nice! how are you liking the scx10 axles? I used them on my stiffy build and am torn between those and wraith axles...considering going with a custom set in between the wraith and scx10 widths..
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Nice! how are you liking the scx10 axles? I used them on my stiffy build and am torn between those and wraith axles...considering going with a custom set in between the wraith and scx10 widths..
Thanks! The width of the front axle with the xr10 steering mod is perfect width and has great steering angle right out of the box. The rear on the other hand going to be a bit narrow I think. The axle I stuck under it had .750 hubs if I remember correctly. I guess you can do an xr10 mod on the rear as well but I have yet to research it. Budget is blown for a bit so I will have time to decide. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocrawler View Post
Thanks! The width of the front axle with the xr10 steering mod is perfect width and has great steering angle right out of the box. The rear on the other hand going to be a bit narrow I think. The axle I stuck under it had .750 hubs if I remember correctly. I guess you can do an xr10 mod on the rear as well but I have yet to research it. Budget is blown for a bit so I will have time to decide. Anyone have suggestions?
Rc bros burly tubes. With xr10 axle shafts. Youll have to buy 2 sets because of the different lengths. Im using them on the front of my 1.9 wraith. They are great.

Youll have to use wraith rear lockouts too. Very strong setup.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk
vwnotchmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Slow going on the build. But that's how life goes. Sorry. Anyway I did make some progress. Sleeved the 6 links that I know sure I am happy with. Used .039" wall 1/4" aluminum tubing over the 8-32 all thread. Very well documented way to make links I wont go into detail. Believe Harley has a good video on you tube about them. Also did a rod mod on a pair of stock Wraith shocks. Pretty simple mod. Grind off the eyelet on the stock cap, drill a hole large enough to run a 3mm bolt up into a rod end of your liking (Revo rod ends require 4mm bolt iirc) put a dab of silicone under the bolt head just for a bit of leak prevention. Also gathered enough parts to piece together a rear differential after buying a bare housing. Redsawacs tossed me a set of some monster rear shafts (and a ton of other goodies for this build) that I believe are from Locked UP RC. Guess he has some tug-o-wars planned. In the rear I have a set of stock AX10 scorpion shocks. The springs on them may be a little stiff, time will tell. I have enough parts for a transmission and most of an interior thanks to THE CRAWL SPACE. Hope to have more wrenching time soon.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #18

lucky lucky on the chassis!! Its coming along nicely looks pimp
jeepertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #19

Good job Scott. Anytime it becomes too much for ya I'll take it over and finish it. Lol. Congrats brudha. Can't wait to see it at one of our crawls. .

Sent from space by aliens
Crawler/Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Thanks to a spring snow storm it was a slow day at work. Had the chassis with me and decided to to see if I could come up with a set of panhard mounts, since I cant seem to buy the one I truly want. Anyway, had a random old aluminum bracket in my box and started hacking it up. It ended up ok, not as sanitary as I truly wanted and really should have some more vertical seperation between the upper and lower links. Still sorta in the rough stage Needs a bit of fine tuning but I think it will do the job
Attached Images

"The Home Wrecker" DMG style - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
Happy Birthday to Jerry aka "The DmG" Jeepial Chit Chat 5 03-02-2012 06:13 PM