Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: why not an extra bearing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default why not an extra bearing?

So I am replacing the housings on my rig...and we all know the housing are the same front and rear.

I was looking at the recess for the outer bearing that is molded into the end of the axle. This recess holds a bearing when used in a steering or front application.

However, when used in a rear fixed nonsteer application, the outer bearing recess does not carry a bearing. Instead, the lockouts carry the only single outer bearing.

I got to thinking. Why can't we shave the innermost collar on the solid shaft and slide a bearing down the shaft and let it sit in the unused recess? I see that the shaft is not the same size as the normal bearing seat. I don't have a caliper, so I am not sure what size the bearing would be (can someone measure the shaft?)...but this idea would cut down on the pressure that the two outside lockout screws that people have so many problems with.

We all know the outer bearing that sits in the lockout is undersized.

Think a semifloat axle vs a full floater. What do y'all think?

Last edited by 67mustang; 03-14-2014 at 09:43 PM.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: why not an extra bearing?

I have thought this over and I have convinced myself this is an excellent idea. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Egressors solid ti shaft uses 4 bearings and a spacer to keep the inner bearing in place. I love it! Not sure how it would work on the stock shaft with removing the flange and all
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

But if the shaft is a smaller diameter in the middle where you want to place a bearing, then how are you going to fit the bearing over either end when they are a larger diameter?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

you wont be able to on the stock axle. the end that fits into the locker is larger than the shaft where you would slide the bearing onto..even if you ground off the inner collar, the bearing still wont slide over the end.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Yashua

I've cut a couple sets of axles to make use of an additional bearing on the outer end.
Requires a .196" O.D. behind the outer flange for about .800" and no inner flange (or only a small one) in order to get the bearing on.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

were you cutting down the stock axle? if so, doesnt that make the inner end with the flats wobble in the locker? or am I not understanding what you are saying correctly?
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Yashua

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
were you cutting down the stock axle? if so, doesnt that make the inner end with the flats wobble in the locker? or am I not understanding what you are saying correctly?
No, I cut Titanium axle shafts. The inner flange really does'nt do anything really, if you look at the tang on a stock used axle you can see that only about half of the tang is engaged with the locker.
Wobble would be a undersize tang.
The outer bearing, hex pin and hex with set screw is what holds the axle in place. Unless you have a aftermarket locker with set screws.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
RCC Addict

This reminds me of my Mech Eng classes. The outer bearings and the locker end provide sufficient constraints on the X, Y and Z axis for this application. Basically if you use more than the outer bearings + locker, the one in the middle would be over constraining the shaft. This makes the middle bearing useless and not providing any real benefit to the over all system, in fact it may be hindering it. This only applies for the rear as in the front you technically have two separate systems (inner shaft & steering stub end) which is why the inner shaft section is constrained by the locker and outer bearing, then the stub is constrained by the larger and small bearing in the knuckle.

Also the entire shaft isnt 5mm, just the ends if I recall, so the bearing would just be floating there as was previously mentioned, even with a bearing there, should the shaft flex enough to fill that ~1mm gap in the floating bearing it wouldn't make a significant difference to the overall system.

Then again, just my $0.02 =)

Last edited by Shinjari; 03-15-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i see, so on yours the axle shaft is the same diameter from behind the outer flange all the way to the inner end that has the flats? I just figured since the tang wasnt as tall as the slot in the locker it would wobble or move up and down in the locker slot when running..thanks for the info
Old 03-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
Yashua

No, the shaft is the same O.D. as the bearing seat for the distance required to reach the housing bearing seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
i see, so on yours the axle shaft is the same diameter from behind the outer flange all the way to the inner end that has the flats? I just figured since the tang wasnt as tall as the slot in the locker it would wobble or move up and down in the locker slot when running..thanks for the info
Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

ok, I am confused...but thats not unusual...lol...i will just take your word for it bob thanks!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
RCC Addict

if you knock off the seat on either end of the shaft....youll be buying a new one!
these sleeves are to prevent lateral movement on the wheel. It keeps things in place!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Yashua

Only the outer flange does the work.

Maybe this shitty drawing can help.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

now I understand! thats what was confusing me, I was looking at the stock axle and it is made differently...my wife says i am dense as a brick sometimes, maybe she is right lol
Old 03-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I get the concern the OP is talking about. This is why I like the VP Currie housings so much. They eliminate the lockouts and make the tubes one solid piece. Of course that isn't the only reason to buy them ($$$) but it sure is an added bonus.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I had a set of strc stainless shafts in an ax10 axle that used a spacer between the bearing in the lockout and bearing in the end of the housing. Always thought it was a good idea. Added rigidity is never a bad idea.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I see other folks have thought about it. I had the idea...and started wondering why noone has done it.

Then i thought about dlux and creeperbob. I bought the dlux housing with the oversized bearings, so I started thinking about other improvements, and this idea about additional bearings came to mind.

Creeperbob, you should cut some shafts with the proper diameter and toss in 2 proper size bearings, and market it as full floater ar60.

Cutting the inner collar won't affect anything. Nothing touches the inner collar. Did anyone measure the diameter of the stock shaft where the bearing would ride? If i grind down the innercollar and the "key", what size would that be? 4mm?

I would understand that other housings might take care of this, but if you are able to add bearings for simply the cost of bearings, its a great idea.

No doubt this would be a great mod.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

My lhs didn't have a 4x11x4 bearing but they do exist. Whether the shaft diameter is actually 4mm is another question, but it seems to be close. So instead I used the standard 5x11x4 and wrapped the shaft with hd metal tape so the bearing will ride comfortably and firmly where it needs to be.

I also have another trick up my sleeve that is pretty slick. All this is/will be done using hardware store parts. I will resurrect my build thread to show y'all what I came up with. Its definitely a worthy mod.

why not an extra bearing? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I don't understand why there are bearing grooves but no bearing Can go? Mysterious Axial XR10 12 01-14-2013 03:21 PM
Extra bearings??? Extra Parts???? bluonyx General Scale Talk 1 02-01-2007 08:29 PM
T/F One way bearing and more? snakeman Kyosho Crawlers 4 03-21-2005 09:17 PM