Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Amsoil Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Default Amsoil Wraith Build

I have been eying the wraith for a long time. Almost bought a used one a few times but ended up picking up a kit..... So here goes the Amsoil Wraith!

Plastic Shock bodies... I used 30wt shock oil (came in the kit)... I think the 30 will be good but I find the stock springs really stiff. Would probably be ok for big jumps and bashing. But Im going with a trail rig / crawler so I need lots of soft flex. Going to be putting softer springs on it for sure.

Ok... Lets do the diffs... Waterproof grease, everything is going together smooth.... Until I realize Axial left out a parts tree..... Rotted..... only one Differential Cover parts tree and the manual only requires one too.. Someone needs to tell Axial you need TWO diff covers if you have TWO axles....duhhhhh

Trans and front end complete... Played around with the shocks last night. They are a little softer but the shock shaft is not moving smoothly. Gotta say I'm really disliking them. This will definitely be the first upgrade. Any suggestions on a good shock?

Finally I have found the time to get back at the wraith!

Finally a roll cage!

Interior is complete...

Battery forward mod done right off the hop...

Roller!!!

Flex city!!!

So managed to get at the Wraith again last night... free time is a very hot commodity with a 2 1/2 yr old!
I picked op a STRC steering link set to replace the stock plastic. I find the stock has way to much flex.
FYI.. if anyone plans on doing this mod.... You need the turnbuckle ends from the Axial Linkage Set (AX0057) (longer
straight ends on the part tree) and the stock ball links from the kit. Also you need to flip the top link to the opposite wheel and flip the servo over as well. I did a lot of swearing before I had to google the shit out of this to figure it out.

AX0057

not my pic...but this is the stock look...

Finally figured it out...Had to flip everything opposite.

Starting the Fast Back mod....

Someone got a hair cut....

Programed the BEC and ESC, wired it up and waterproofed it as well.
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #2

Default Re: Amsoil Wraith Build

Im hating the stock shocks. I ordered the Gmade Aeration 103mm shocks but they have been on back order forever. If anyone has a better suggestion in a similar price point Id love to hear your ideas. I have the aluminum body side panels and hood ordered as well.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I initially had my BEC wired to my ESC like you do, I soon found out you can't program the BEC with it wired like that, had to add a connector. I was trying different voltages at the time so it was a deal breaker for me, I guess once I settle it would be fine.
rknaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #4

I had a set of Gmades for general bashing and liked them but got tired of rebuilding leaky shocks. I just picked up a set of Proline Pro-spec 100mm rear and after two bashing runs really like them a lot. I used middle piston hole size and 30 wt oil. If crawling and going 30 I would try the biggest holes on piston or drop down in weight. Going to run the 30 for a few packs and twin try 20 or 25 next.
FlogginHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #5

Looking so far.
pstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Looks great. I really would like a kit as my first truck, go through the entire build like you've showed us, but I may end up going used.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknaub View Post
I initially had my BEC wired to my ESC like you do, I soon found out you can't program the BEC with it wired like that, had to add a connector. I was trying different voltages at the time so it was a deal breaker for me, I guess once I settle it would be fine.
mine is wired exactly like that and i had no issue programming mine more than once...were you plugging in your battery when you were trying to program it? the battery has to be unplugged and then it programs with no issue.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknaub View Post

The bec will connect to the servo via a Y harness with the receiver to give me 6v to my servo giving me 368 oz of torque. I did the same with my scx and love it.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
mine is wired exactly like that and i had no issue programming mine more than once...were you plugging in your battery when you were trying to program it? the battery has to be unplugged and then it programs with no issue.

I programmed both the bec and ESC separately and then soldered the bec to the deans.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

New to crawlers here, just wondering why you had to flip the servo and link with the STRC setup? Mine seems to work fine in the stock position, or is there something I'm missing?
Guesstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #11

I found when I used the normal stock set up with the STRC links I was getting toe out. So I went with the long ball ends on that parts tree and put the shorter link right to the end of the knuckle and connected the two links with the one screw. That got my wheels aligned.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Because STRC isn't te greatest with quality control. I had several STRC steering links and the all were different lengths. Had to shim one of them.....

Looks like your servo to knuckle link is turned outward and not downward. I think you will soon swap to VP when the tierod starts falling down when you hit things. Gets old. The VP can be adjusted to any position and locked so it doesn't flop as well as adjusted for toe in or out as needed.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #13

New parts showed up today from advanced metal fab. Fantastic fit! So excited to get these panels on. Even got a tow hook. Lol

Old 03-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i also have strc steering links. i had to shim mine as well, got them good to go now. as far as shocks go, i've had losi comp crawler shocks on a wraith before with 35wt oil and white losi springs and they worked very well.... and i know people who have also had good luck running the traxxas tmaxx/emaxx big bore shocks...
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Keep the picture coming, can't wait to see more!

The Proline bead lock look good, the more I look, the more I'm confused about my future wheel...
Breat 1.8T syncro is offline   Reply With Quote