Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Need help with my wraith steering linkage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #1

Default Need help with my wraith steering linkage.

Hello everyone i'm new to the hobby and and got a Poison Spyder wraith. first upgrades i did was the STRC spindles and aluminum steering linkage. Then i got the Vanquish steering relocation and Pan hard bar kit. my issue not is that i can not get the drag link to line up to the steering horn so that i can get equal turn right and left.I cant add anymore spacers or i run out of thread. please take a look at what i have and please try and help me out.
here is how i started.

then i flipped the drag link and installed the spacers as i was told by a friend now i still am having the same issues.

if you want any other pictures let me know.

Thank you
Brewski4u1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Need help with my wraith steering linkage.

have you made sure you're servo horn is centered when your trim on the servo is centered?

I recently installed the RC4WD CMS kit with panhard and I'm having the same problem. I think its just the nature of these CMS kits, but start with making sure your horn is centered. I think the geomotry of how the horn turns pushing vs pulling is what makes a difference, but I'm a newbie too ;)
SynisteR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Are you guys able to hit full lock on at least one side when steering left or right? If you can, just dismount the servo arm and rotate it such that you favor the side with not enough travel, then re-center your trim, you are essentially redistributing the amount of circular motion used by your servo to equalize the steering throw at the wheels.

There are ways to fix this if you have a better radio, so if you do, then I can go into this step-by-step.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynisteR6 View Post
have you made sure you're servo horn is centered when your trim on the servo is centered?

I recently installed the RC4WD CMS kit with panhard and I'm having the same problem. I think its just the nature of these CMS kits, but start with making sure your horn is centered. I think the geomotry of how the horn turns pushing vs pulling is what makes a difference, but I'm a newbie too ;)

That's the issue i cant get it center as the drag link is to short. I need a longer drag kink or i have something set up wrong .
Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
Are you guys able to hit full lock on at least one side when steering left or right? If you can, just dismount the servo arm and rotate it such that you favor the side with not enough travel, then re-center your trim, you are essentially redistributing the amount of circular motion used by your servo to equalize the steering throw at the wheels.

There are ways to fix this if you have a better radio, so if you do, then I can go into this step-by-step.

yea i can hit one lock but not even close on the other side. my radio does have trim adjustments if that helps
Old 03-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You need to have at least end point adjustment (EPA) in order to get this fixed without having to make a longer servo linkage. If you use the method I mentioned above, you can center, but you will most likely not be able to hit full lock on either side (not ideal on a locked diff vehicle).
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
You need to have at least end point adjustment (EPA) in order to get this fixed without having to make a longer servo linkage. If you use the method I mentioned above, you can center, but you will most likely not be able to hit full lock on either side (not ideal on a locked diff vehicle).
Ok well i don't have that adjustment, i have read somewhere that i should be using the Vanquish drag link with the set up I'm running is there any truth to that ?? its only like 8 bucks should i just order it?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

It also appears you have spacers on your tie rod as well, is this neccessary to maintain proper tire toe?
(Measure middle of tire in front of and behind the front tires, an equal measurement is 0 toe (|----|) Most in the off-road community recommend slight toe out ( \----/ ).

I would fix toe issues to what you want then adjust your tie rod to meet the required position. Bringing the ends tighter obviously brings toe in, out makes toe out. Once set then worry about your drag link.

Disconnect your servo horn. Center your servo electronically then using any method available to you align your wheels as well as possible. Then place your drag link and servo horn into the servo.

This worked for me!
seanmnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmnew View Post
It also appears you have spacers on your tie rod as well, is this neccessary to maintain proper tire toe?
(Measure middle of tire in front of and behind the front tires, an equal measurement is 0 toe (|----|) Most in the off-road community recommend slight toe out ( \----/ ).

I would fix toe issues to what you want then adjust your tie rod to meet the required position. Bringing the ends tighter obviously brings toe in, out makes toe out. Once set then worry about your drag link.

Disconnect your servo horn. Center your servo electronically then using any method available to you align your wheels as well as possible. Then place your drag link and servo horn into the servo.

This worked for me!

yes the spacers are necessary with out the its pretty bad. so for now the Toe is not a issue . i know how the toe and drag links work and as stated above steering is centered and putting on the drag link (Steering horn) its way off to the passenger side.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #10

I think everyone is over-complicating this.

It looks like you need longer rod ends...
Squatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Shouldn't, my STRC on my Vanquish CMS/panhard works just fine.
I measured my drag link from center of each eye at 11mm, and the length of the bar at 7mm. Is that your length?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski4u1 View Post
...I cant add anymore spacers or i run out of thread...
And yet, clearly, his servo arm isn't vertical.

You need longer rod ends.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Shouldn't, my STRC on my Vanquish CMS/panhard works just fine.
I measured my drag link from center of each eye at 11mm, and the length of the bar at 7mm. Is that your length?

Those measurements equate to roughly 7/16" and 9/32". I think his your measurements are off.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
Those measurements equate to roughly 7/16" and 9/32". I think his your measurements are off.
My bad, I meant to type CM, not MM... Good catch, or just add a 0 to the number, whichever you like.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Putting all the rod ends on top of the steering arms will help with both the tie rod and drag link being to short.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
Putting all the rod ends on top of the steering arms will help with both the tie rod and drag link being to short.

i will try putting everything on top tonight if that does not fix it where does one get longer arms??
Old 03-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Buy a stick of 8-32 allthread and a pack of revo ends and make a draglink yourself.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I couldn't get the steering to hold up with all linkages above the steering arm.

Yup the cms needs to be tuned for ride height this one area where one size does not fit all
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #19

Quote:
My bad, I meant to type CM, not MM... Good catch, or just add a 0 to the number, whichever you like.
You'd have thought I'd have figured that out... Lol.

Need help with my wraith steering linkage. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith steering linkage with cms? Cmarcan167 Axial Wraith 6 06-11-2013 08:39 PM
Wraith steering linkage problems... Jew1028 Newbie General 11 10-31-2012 05:06 AM
Axial Wraith steering linkage issue. Jew1028 Axial Wraith 3 02-27-2012 10:12 AM