Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Need opinions on shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Need opinions on shocks

Just finished a new Wraith kit...The shocks are too stiff, I need a softer shock.

What shock would you recommend? Or could I easily replace just the spring on my current shocks.

Any thoughts of the King Shocks made by rc4wd?

Thanks for any advise.
1BAMFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need opinions on shocks

The stock Wraith kit shocks actually aren't that bad, provided they are properly assembled (deburred shock pistons, green-slime on seals, touch of teflon tape on the threads of the caps and seal retainers).

Try moving the upper shock mounts all the way towards the center of the chassis. I did this, and flipped the rear upper mount, and removed some pre-load on the front shocks to lower the truck about a half an inch and soften the wheel rate.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

To be honest, I drained all oil from the shocks from my kit and ran them that way, they were perfect before I swapped to the Gmade piggybacks!
seanmnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

In your opinions what is the "best" shocks you can buy for the a wraith?
Something soft , something that will keep the wraith low, and that won't leak.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Check out Harley's Bulletproof thread that is stickied in this section.

Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Check out Harley's Bulletproof thread that is stickied in this section.

Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
The stock Wraith kit shocks actually aren't that bad, provided they are properly assembled (deburred shock pistons, green-slime on seals, touch of teflon tape on the threads of the caps and seal retainers).

Try moving the upper shock mounts all the way towards the center of the chassis. I did this, and flipped the rear upper mount, and removed some pre-load on the front shocks to lower the truck about a half an inch and soften the wheel rate.
i agree with this but i also use the shock cap seals from HPI (savage) which are an o-ring type and not that crappy diaphram which is given. I found those to tear constantly causing problems. Spend the time on a wraith shock and the results are outstanding.
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I got frustrated and angry over the stock shocks just trying to make them function properly. I found it impossible to find the right lvl oil. If they are stiff you are having too much oil in them. After hours and hours of frustration, trying to find the right lvl and get the bladder to seat properly, which they simply would't do with the amount of oil that let them fully compress, I let them go.

I've had luck with Traxxas shocks and decided to go with Bigbores. They are decent priced, rock solid, don't leak and function very well. Putting them together is a JOY compared to the shit Axial provides. Stock kit springs without preload, 30W oil, reduced wheight in the chassis but extra on the axles and wheels. Might have gone with 20-25W oil, but overall I'm satisfied with this setup.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Shocks won't affect ride height, other than length eye to eye fully compressed. It's the spring that supports the wheight and gives your ride height. Dampers function is to absorb bumps in high speed but mostly to controll the spring. Springrate and dampers bound/rebound must match. I would say that its rebound caracteristics is more important really, giving a smooth ride.

If you want to lower it try softer springs and/or reducing preload. Some might consider a shorter spring.I find the stock kit springs, which are softer than rtr, to function very well on my Wraith. But if you've got a seriously lightened or heavier chassis, it might be very different.
Basic setup generally should be with the sag set at 1/3 compression of the shock when it's standing still on it's own weight. But with a crawler setup it might be bether with it sitting lower than this.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

The stock setup od #3 piston and 30 wt silicone seems good to me. The springs seem a little stiff though. When I do upgrade, it will be with ProLine big bore power stroke.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Need opinions on shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc4wd The Ultimate Scale Shocks opinions sawhead Axial SCX-10 10 01-12-2014 09:29 AM
need ideas/opinions on shocks for my xr10? J-Fish Axial XR10 10 03-08-2013 11:45 AM
Want some opinions on shocks.. Temptation General Crawlers 1 01-06-2013 01:57 AM
Opinions on aftrmkt shocks for scx10?? Rocked Axial SCX-10 5 02-21-2011 12:33 PM
Gmade G-Tansition Shocks - Opinions Labby01 Venom Creeper 0 02-02-2010 08:06 PM