Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith gear set up problems! Lost in the aybss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wraith gear set up problems! Lost in the aybss

I Just got my axial wraith and I keep reading the it comes with a bad gear setup for the stock motor.
Okay so most people suggest 84T spur and 16T pinion. (I bought a random 84t plastic spur only one i could find pretty sure it won't fit.)
My problem is where exactly can I get these two parts in metal?
even plastic i could just buy extras.
Also will I need any other parts to get to work?

I am fine with the stock motor for now but I don't want to burn it out super fast.
Say by some miracle i get the right gears for the motor, will it then be able to handle some upgraded metal parts like vanquish titanium links and aluminum axles? (if not i will upgrade the motor at a later date)
I would greatly appreciate specific help in finding compatible parts. I am probably the top noob.
ChronicCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wraith gear set up problems! Lost in the aybss

I use an 87t spur on my 1.9 wraith running the stock 20t for now. I tend to stick with plastic spur gears so it becomes the weakest point in the drive line. I'd rather replace a spur then an idler gear type thing. The part number for that spur is AX30672. Hell I run a plastic spur on my pro4 powered wraith and never had an issue. It is 32p though instead of 48 pitch.
haynesn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I get the majority of my RC parts from WWW.rpphobby.com on the internet. They have a huge selection of parts and accessories! They also mail out Priority mail so you don't have to wait weeks to get what you want. They haven't let me down yet!

As for the gearing... If you are going to switch those gears, my suggestion is to go ahead and get the 32 pitch gears now. I would venture to say that if you don't, at some point you'll kick yourself because your buying another set.

I'm running a Tekin Pro4 3300 on a Mamba Max Pro. I'm using 57 tooth spur and a 14 tooth pinion.

If you are still unsure, take a look at this thread. Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added! You'll find just about any answer you want here.
Hwheeler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I run 87t spur/20t pinion with a Tekin T35HD motor. I used stock motors with full aluminum linkages, knuckles, c hubs, and trusses. I went through three 20T motors before I decided to make my wraith a crawler. RPP hobby is a great place for wraith parts.
DinehCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

C K R C . com has them in 32 pitch .matched sets.
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I was running 87/20 and 87/23 with the stock motors for a faster rig. I don't believe the upgraded parts were heavy enough to effect the motor, I have 84g weight in each front tire and 28g in each rear tire. I think the wheel weight and full throttle runs killed the motors.
DinehCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I only ran the 20 tooth pinion for a few days until my 16 came in from rpp. So I am running 87/16 now on 3 cell with the stock esc and a castle bec. No over heating issues yet.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinehCaveman View Post
I run 87t spur/20t pinion with a Tekin T35HD motor. I used stock motors with full aluminum linkages, knuckles, c hubs, and trusses. I went through three 20T motors before I decided to make my wraith a crawler. RPP hobby is a great place for wraith parts.
did you have the 87t/20t setup when the 3 stock motors died?
if you didn't, was it the 80/20 stock setup that burned out the motor or was it the added weight from your upgraded parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynesn12 View Post
I use an 87t spur on my 1.9 wraith running the stock 20t for now. I tend to stick with plastic spur gears so it becomes the weakest point in the drive line. I'd rather replace a spur then an idler gear type thing. The part number for that spur is AX30672. Hell I run a plastic spur on my pro4 powered wraith and never had an issue. It is 32p though instead of 48 pitch.
so 87t spur with 20t pinion is fine with stock motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynesn12 View Post
I only ran the 20 tooth pinion for a few days until my 16 came in from rpp. So I am running 87/16 now on 3 cell with the stock esc and a castle bec. No over heating issues yet.
I don't have the skill to add a bec so I have to stay stock.
I can't even get the right gears so having to worry about a bec to is mind blowing. I just want to run my wraith stock with the gear that wont blow out the 20t motor
I bought the 87t spur but no luck finding any pinions......

So am i going to be okay 87/20 gears with stock 20t motor??

Last edited by THX_138; 04-28-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I always used to doubt my ability to solder but I just practiced and now it's easy to me. We all started out having to learn everything. The stock esc will work fine running on 2 cell or nimh whatever your planing to run. Just head over to RPP Hobby | Radio Controlled Cars, Trucks, Boats, Helis, Planes, Plastic Models and browse through the pinion and spur section under electronics. they have almost anything you could need
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Default Wraith gear set up problems! Lost in the aybss

Robinson racing makes all the pinions you need , they also sell a plastic 87t spur that I have been running for almost a year with NO problems ... My pinion is metal and spur is plastic but both from robinson racing ! I run dewalt motor on 3s and no problems with spur/pinion for a year ! .. Always check your gear mesh before running !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Daddy; 03-26-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You should get on ckrccrawlers.com they have 2 different 32p wraith gear sets, one for crawling and 1 for speed, I think each set is $10 which is cheap and the 32p rolls smoother.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
savagebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Been running with no spur cover for almost a year with same 87spur / 17pinion from robinson racing

Also very smooth and quiet !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=Daddy;4723046]Robinson racing makes all the pinions you need , they also sell a plastic 87t spur that I have been running for almost a year with NO problems ... My pinion is metal and spur is plastic but both from robinson racing ! I run dewalt motor on 3s and no problems with spur/pinion for a year ! .. Always check your gear mesh before running !!!

I bought this 87t spur
Axial AX30672 SCX10 AX10 Wraith Spur Gear 48DP 87T | eBay
and 2 different pinions:
New Axial Steel Pinion Gear 32P 16T AX30842 | eBay
&
New Duratrax Pinion Gear 48P 18T w Set Screw DTXC8346 | eBay

is that going to work?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

http://www.robinsonracing.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Wraith and scx10 same gears ( pinion spur )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I now have it set up with 87t axial spur gear and robinson racing 16t pinion.

The motor seems to be getting hotter faster than it was stock. How can I fix it? maybe mesh is not good enough?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
RCC Addict

There should be some play between your spur and pinion gear. Google gear mesh and there are some good Youtube videos that show how its done...easier to watch it than me trying to explain it.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Try 87 spur plastic and 14 pinion metal. I always run a plastic spur because if i am going to break or strip something a spur is very easy to replace.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicCrawler View Post
I don't have the skill to add a bec so I have to stay stock.
I can't even get the right gears so having to worry about a bec to is mind blowing. I just want to run my wraith stock with the gear that wont blow out the 20t motor
I bought the 87t spur but no luck finding any pinions......

So am i going to be okay 87/20 gears with stock 20t motor??
If you don't have the skills to solder you can ask your local hobby store.

My local Hobby Town soldered my BEC into my wraith, they charge $1 per wire for any soldering; so it only cost me $2 to have my BEC installed.
devoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=ChronicCrawler;4723330]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
Robinson racing makes all the pinions you need , they also sell a plastic 87t spur that I have been running for almost a year with NO problems ... My pinion is metal and spur is plastic but both from robinson racing ! I run dewalt motor on 3s and no problems with spur/pinion for a year ! .. Always check your gear mesh before running !!!

I bought this 87t spur
Axial AX30672 SCX10 AX10 Wraith Spur Gear 48DP 87T | eBay
and 2 different pinions:
New Axial Steel Pinion Gear 32P 16T AX30842 | eBay
&
New Duratrax Pinion Gear 48P 18T w Set Screw DTXC8346 | eBay

is that going to work?
HOLD UP!! That 16T Pinion you posted is a 32 Pitch gear! The 87T spur is a 48 Pitch gear, so they will NOT be compatible! Chances are you might damage the plastic spur, or more than likely, damage is already done.. Inspect the teeth carefully, but I'm sure the gears are not meshing properly and that is why your motor is over heating.

Use the 18T 48P pinion instead
3stage is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith gear set up problems! Lost in the aybss - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set - Underdrive REAR - ISSUE slimfire Axial Wraith 11 01-24-2013 04:03 AM
just bought a 1:6...lost low gear GeoffSFAs10 General Crawlers 2 12-30-2005 11:50 AM