Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Basket case Wraith roller to U4RC 2.2 rig. Another anti-IFS Wraith.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Basket case Wraith roller to U4RC 2.2 rig. Another anti-IFS Wraith.

Alright guys, first Wraith build, though not new to the site or the hobby by any means. Picked this guy up on trade as a basket case/roller, and immediately started looking for ideas for a build.

After 3+ years of building minis/micros I'm not having the greatest time adapting to scale trail rigs and such. This is when I found U4RC and various other KOH type builds. Needless to say, I'm hooked already. Though we lack a local U4/KOH scene, I do currently have two complete comp courses and a mini track in my yard, and we are in the process of renovating all 3 to facilitate U4 racing. If local interests rises I will begin looking for a location with a more suitable track.

Anyway, back to the Wraith. I am building this rig as Del Monte has his, nothing extra, nothing more than required, and merely as a training tool for my upcoming tube chassis trophy 2.2 build.

To start things off in proper "anti-IFS" style, I got out the dikes, Dremel, files, and started hacking. You'll notice where I have not only cut down the chassis, but added a few more reinforcements. Believe it or not, the front and rear of this rig are already more rigid than the stock chassis, and I plan on adding more to the front shock towers yet. While Del Monte has beat his rig into the ground and proven itself, I wanted just a "little" more chassis in the chassis if ya know what I mean...

Here is where I stand as of now, waiting on parts and the re-release of a few necessities before I can progress...

Nice and low. Trailing arms, shocks, and springs are coming.

Front frame horns, will be gusseted into the windshield frame and the hood bar soon to resist upward deflection in the shock towers. There will also be RC4WD inner fenders added and trimmed to match the chassis and seal it all in. All spacer tubes made from left-overs of the cut chassis. No extra $ spent unless it counts...

Rear, same deal. Lots of cutting, lots of re-purposed stock plastic and screws. Believe it or not, VERY rigid!

Rear shock tower flipped and MRC Pro carbon shock mounts used to lower the shock and angle it forward. Once again, re-purposed "junk."

Full droop, around 3" under the skid now. Will be more with trailing arms.

Full stuff. About 1" under the skid.

Required flex shots. You know, for those that like this kinda thing.

As simple as I'd like it to be, I still gotta get to ordering parts. Chubs, knuckles, drive shafts, and, and, and...

Also, link to Del Monte's Anti-IFS rig- Del Monte's Anti-IFS Wraith
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Basket case Wraith roller to U4RC 2.2 rig. Another anti-IFS Wraith.

I dig it. Checked out Del Monte's build as well, really cool. I have a second set of AR60's sitting around so my next build might be something along these lines.
RMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Do it! Light, simple, cheap, and fast. No more than needed. Problem now, my rig may weigh in a "little" under for the class I'm basing this around. About 4lbs now with no electronics. Less than 6 with...
Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Where are you getting the RC4WD inner fenders from? Every time I look for them they are out of stock. I've signed up for notification when they are back in stock from several vendors.
DinehCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

A buddy of mine is a LHS owner, and a dealer from Great Planes, which now carries RC4WD. They had them in stock, and ordered a set for both our rigs. Maybe I ought to have him check again to make sure they aren't back-ordered or anything. Thank you for pointing it out actually. May be why I haven't got them in over a week of waiting...
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Y-Town Crawlers

Looks like your off too a good start! Your cage work already looks better than mine

Once you get the trailing arms and shocks in, the truck will really come alive.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks for the kind words man! Waiting on Version 2 of the BMRC arms, a set of 4 Slash GTR rear shocks (cheap big-bores!), sway-bars, an under-drive set for the rear, MIPs, and saving my pennies for a brushless setup and some VP goods. For the time being, the truck will be getting a VXL setup though. We'll see how long that lasts...
Old 03-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #8

Will be following this build
gmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Basket case Wraith roller to U4RC 2.2 rig. Another anti-IFS Wraith. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Del Monte's Anti-IFS Wraith Del Monte Axial Wraith 72 12-28-2015 09:16 PM