Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations "Big Blue" - 2.2 KOH Crawler; wraith based

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2018, 08:23 AM   #81
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: Crawler Innovations "Big Blue" - 2.2 KOH Crawler; wraith based

This truck is still together and was used recently in this video:

Crawler Innovations acquired this official rc pull sled several years ago and now it's headed off to an RC museum. In this video you will learn what makes this rc pull sled unique and see it in action as it's pulled by different RC's from the C.I. collection.

Webstore:
RC Crawler Foams, Rock Crawler Foams, Tires and More by Crawler Innovations

#1 source for RC crawler info:
www.rccrawler.com/forum

#crawlerinnovations #rccrawler #doubledeucefoams #lilnovafoams #deuceswildfoams #supernovafoams #cicellblock #6boltwheels

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2018, 02:49 AM   #82
Quarry Creeper

That is SERIOUSLY one Badass Rig!!!

Thank you for supplying us with GOOD foams, Tires and accessories to keep our Rigs nice and fine tuned!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #83
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Always my top forms company
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
That is SERIOUSLY one Badass Rig!!!

Thank you for supplying us with GOOD foams, Tires and accessories to keep our Rigs nice and fine tuned!

Thank you for the kind words and likes. Crawler Innovations only exists because of our customer base. I am thankful everyday for all you that help make this possible.

The current state of Big Blue is that it is still together but after years of hard use, the axles are in need of rebuild. This truck was built so long ago that is uses Version 1 Vanquish Products Ar60 axle housings that use the small bearing on the inside of the case for the pinion shaft. Vanquish switched to larger bearings with V2 cases that have been available for several years now.

Big Blue weighs 10 pounds 8 ounces or 4.76KG, ready to run. All that weight, plus 16volts and brushless power tax the drive train to the limit. All four of the aluminum axles C's have been epoxied to the housing and a 3rd bolt drilled and tapped to hold them on. Even with that, the C's wobble loose. The axle pinions run on brass bushings instead of bearings to hold up to the torque and not explode. I'd like to rebuild the truck with updated axles and custom skins but between running CI and the numerous other projects, this truck sits.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #84
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The time and desire have come. Let the rebuild begin;

Old 06-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #85
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

More pics:

These Vaterra upgrade shocks for the Ascender were not up to the demands of this vehicle:

Old 06-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #86
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I'll be recycling the front axle from Blue Torch for the front of this rebuild:

I'll be switching the front axle over to Dlux Fab brass steering knuckles and modifying these 8mm Kyosho Universals to fit the Incision locker:

Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #87
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I made some progress on the rebuild, but not as much as I was hoping. It turns out that the axle from Blue Torch was V1 design AR60 from Vanquish Products and it has the 5x11mm pinion bearing instead of the 5x14mm I want for the rebuild. So I was only able to assemble one axle last night.

This pic easily explains the reason to upgrade to 8mm stub shafts:

Kyosho Universals on top, Incision locker, Axial Universals bottom;

Vanquish Products gray housing, Dlux Fab brass knuckles:

One semi complete front axle:
Vanquish Products gray AR60 aluminum housing, C Hubs, diff cover; Incision locker; Kyosho Universals; Axial HD Standard gear set (I'm going to try a slight over drive on this rebuild); Dlux Fab brass knuckles and hub adapters;

Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Exciting Stuff!!!
That's quite a pile of Kit going in. I'm sure it's nice to be able to get those cool Parts! ;)
.... Those AXLE SHAFTS!! WOW! Is that what you'd call Bombproof? I suppose there's Hexes or SOMETHING to actually get Wheels on them? VERY impressed.
Looking forward to seeing what comes next!!

Last edited by PoorManRC; 07-01-2018 at 10:35 PM.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #89
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
Exciting Stuff!!!
That's quite a pile of Kit going in. I'm sure it's nice to be able to get those cool Parts! ;)
.... Those AXLE SHAFTS!! WOW! Is that what you'd call Bombproof? I suppose there's Hexes or SOMETHING to actually get Wheels on them? VERY impressed.
Looking forward to seeing what comes next!!

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, it is quite nice to be involved in this hobby on a level that allows me to acquire and build RC's with these quality parts. It is truly a childhood dream that has come true. I am grateful for the hard work I have invested into this hobby, grateful for the customers that have supported Crawler Innovations, and grateful for the opportunities leading forward.

The axles shafts are extremely stronger and much smoother in rotation while turning. I have not broken any 8mm shafts since switching over from the original Axial style. Anything mechanical will eventually wear out or weaken with age and use, so I prefer not to use cliché terms to describe parts. I'm just grateful Dlux Fab offers this level of parts.

As for hubs, Dlux Fab offers several widths of 8mm hubs, in stainless, aluminum, or delrin, with the VP SLW bolt pattern. The CI 6 Bolt Wheels easily attach to these, same with VP bead locks. I'm using the stainless hubs on "The Formula" build and Big Blue has a set that arrived this week.

Big Blue has been shelved for several months now. Other builds were more important to finish and they were. Several new parts arrived this week from Dlux Fab for this build and I will have updates soon.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #90
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

New parts to complete this rebuild;

8mm Front brass knuckles machined for weight slugs
Carbon Fiber uppers
Aluminum lowers

Dlux Fab cheezeburger transmission
SAF Gears
Titanium outputs
Carbon Fiber plates

Old 03-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #91
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Gavin and I (Edmundo Ayala) will be driving and filming RC cars on April 6, 2019 at the White Oak City Park in White Oak, Texas.
Start Time 9:30AM

Park Address:
500 E. Magnolia St.
White Oak, TX 75693

Park Web Site:
https://www.cityofwhiteoak.com/depar...oak-city-park/

The courses will be set based on the rc vehicles in attendance. So whatever the majority of the group has to drive, that is what we will run. No one will be turned away, and every RC will have a chance on course.

Based on our last two Get Togethers, fun was had by everyone, and more people are showing up. The March Get Together had three Competition course and three Activated courses.

Consider this your formal invite to stop by, drive your RC car and meet other hobbyists. This is not a competition or full blown event. This a get together with focus on driving and visiting. I hope to see you there and possibly get your RC car on camera.

Score Sheet that will be used:

Here is a full length (2.5hrs) video that Gavin made of the March Get Together. It is complete with a introduction and overview, along with every run from the day.

#crawlerinnovations #ayalametalworks #activatedoutlaw #doubledeucefoams #deuceswildwfoams #lilnovafoams #compcrawler #scalecrawler #rccrawler
Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #92
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Thank you to every human that has viewed this build thread, helping it to achieve over 24K views. That is wonderful for an RC truck. The time has come to move on to a new build and this truck has been disassembled. The electronics have already been placed in a new Ayala Metal Works build.

If you have an interest in purchasing this chassis, it will be listed in the classifieds. Here is how Big Blue currently rests;
- 3/16" steel rod chassis that uses an Axial Wraith skid. The chassis is strong and meant to be driven. This is not a shelf queen crawler and has never been treated like one. So with that said, function over form came first in building and tuning it. It weighs 3 pounds 13 ounces as pictured.

-The trusses are steel, made by Dinky RC, then Szczerba Built cut off those tabs and welded extended tabs to the trusses to accommodate the shocks, links, and sway bar all with their own mount position.

- eight Vanquish Products Titanium 3/16 links
- Vaterra RC alumium Ascender shocks front and rear
- Axial rear sway
- Steel Panels
- Styrene dash and aluminum seat

- 6v front light pair, two of the four rear light bar lights work, the engine bay light functions, and there are two under glow tube leds above the skid. The chassis will accommodate light bars also.

Tags
#activatedoutlaw, #cicellblock, #crawlerinnovations, #doubledeucefoams, #lilnovafoams

Crawler Innovations "Big Blue" - 2.2 KOH Crawler; wraith based - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Mini Clod "Crawler Innovations" Shelf Rig Szczerba Tamiya Clod Buster 62 01-20-2019 08:56 AM
Crawler Innovations "Top Shelf" Ultra 4 Nova's Ark 1.9 Scale Rigs 100 06-01-2018 10:31 PM
--- Crawler Innovations "White Lightning Wraith" --- Nova's Ark Axial Wraith 143 02-16-2017 10:07 AM