Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: fsSnowboard's Poison Spyder Wraith Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

Default fsSnowboard's Poison Spyder Wraith Mods

This isn't quite a build thread, because its an RTR. However, I am posting various mods I am doing to it. I bought the Poison Spyder Wraith for two reasons: 1, I like the way it looks and 2, I wanted to drive sooner rather than later. I own a 1:1 Jeep TJ on 33's, and don't get to go wheeling as often as I want, so the RC is a good substitute.

Some photos in stock form.

I added a Black Series Sandtrooper as a driver.

I will be updating the parts list as I add parts. I will list part numbers for the parts to help others hopefully find them easier.

Parts list:

Misc:
  • Axial 12mm Hex (AX30429)
  • Vanquish SLW 475 Hubs (VPS01043)
  • McMaster-Carr 4-40x5/16" Stainless Socket Head Cap Screw for SLW to wheel (92185A107)
  • Robitronic Aluminum Servo Arm (R17022R)
  • Axial Universal Front Axle Shafts (AX30780)
  • AB Clips for 2S Lipo to protect balance plug (search ebay)

Battery Relocation/ESC in box:
Hood Hinge Mod:
  • Traxxas Battery hold down kit for hood pins and clips (3727a)
  • M5-.8 x 10mm socket cap screws, M5 washer and M5 hex nut
  • 3/8” Cable Clamps

I broke the stock hubs after a few weeks of driving, so upgraded to the Axial hex and Vanquish SLW 475 Hubs. I also stripped the stock servo arm, so upgraded to the Robitronic arm. I installed the Axial Universal Front Shafts as recomended by Harley in his Poison Spyder video series.

Last edited by fsSnowboard; 04-13-2014 at 03:29 PM.
fsSnowboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #2

Default Re: fsSnowboard's Poison Spyder Wraith Mods

Battery Relocation Mod

I just finished relocating my battery to the front of my wraith. I used a Radio Shack 4x2x1 Project Enclosure to house the ESC and in the future a BEC.

I cut a hole in the end of the project box to mount a cut down 3/4" sprinkler connector from the hardware store.

I then used some 5 minute two part epoxy to attach the connector to the box. I used masking tape to hold the connector in position, and to keep the epoxy where I wanted it, then just filled it in and let it cure. [i forgot to take a picture here]. I cut and tilted the connector down so that I can shove the project box all the way against the plastic of the wraith interior. This picture is after I sanded it down with a Dremel.

I then shot it black with some plastic spray paint I had.

With the box installed. [I forgot to take a picture of the inside.] I used some Silicon Grease from the hardware store along the edge and screws to hopefully keep water out. I'm not going for complete water proof, because I don't plan on driving in really wet areas, but wanted to protected better than in the open.

I then used the stock battery straps to mount the battery in the front. I ran all the wires up under the trans tunnel.

Now I need to cut the body/hood to get easier access at the battery. I am planning on some sort of hood pins. I haven't decided if I want to do 4 hood pins, or the hinge and hood pin mod.

Last edited by fsSnowboard; 04-06-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Since I put my battery in the same spot, I got the hood hinge kit from CKRC, but in stead of using the posts with body pins I used some small circular Velcro pieces that had double sided sticky on the bottom of the hood and the flattest spot on the cage, toward the front. Just an idea for ya.
Shizanester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #4

Thanks, I decided to get 2 hood pins and make some hinges from cable clamps. I got the wrong size cable clamps today so need to go back for slightly larger size. I also need to buy more body screws since the Poison Spyder only uses 3 screws on each side, but it looks like the normal wraith has alot more. This will prevent my body from flapping around in the front when I cut the hood off.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsSnowboard View Post
Thanks, I decided to get 2 hood pins and make some hinges from cable clamps. I got the wrong size cable clamps today so need to go back for slightly larger size. I also need to buy more body screws since the Poison Spyder only uses 3 screws on each side, but it looks like the normal wraith has alot more. This will prevent my body from flapping around in the front when I cut the hood off.
That is because of the difference in the two body styles. The Wraith uses 4 screws to hold the hood on. Depending on how you cut the hood you should be able to put extra screws in the body in the same location that the wraith has them.
thurayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #6

Thanks. I cut along the Poison Spyder hood body line and have spot for a couple screws using the normal Wraith locations. I noticed my body on one side is slightly lower than the other, so I'll fix that soon.

I used 7/64 drill bit to drill out holes for the hood pins of the Traxxas 3727a Battery Hold Down Kit. I then used a 5mm socket to screw it in.

For the hinge, I used some 3/8" cable clamps that I drilled out a little bit to fit the M5-.8x10mm socket cap screws I used. I used an M5 washer on top of the body, and a M5 hex nut underneath to secure it. I probably could have used M4 hardware to prevent drilling out the cable clamps. I tried some 1/4" cable clamps, but they didn't fit quite right.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #7

I went 1:1 offroading over the weekend at Uwharrie National Forest. One of the trails called Kodak Rock has been closed permanently. However, we walked to it, and I crawled it with my wraith.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

looking good,it will lok sweet with some more softer tyres
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #9

Yes! I'm in the same boat. I have a 1:1 crawler, and I don't usually wheel here I go down to moab or California. So I utilize my home time to crawl around with my wraith now! Poison spider looks good. I want that body
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #10

Same here. I have a PS wraith. My 1/1 does not see the trails like I would want. So I use the RC.
Tweeternpi is offline   Reply With Quote

fsSnowboard's Poison Spyder Wraith Mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poison Spyder Wraith godofcable Axial Wraith 4 12-10-2013 01:41 PM
poison spyder wraith Frakke Videos! 7 09-22-2013 07:56 AM
new poison spyder wraith tnt-salvage Axial Wraith 20 07-07-2013 11:36 AM