Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: A little help with suspension please?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default A little help with suspension please?

I recently installed a droop kit to lower my wraith a bit, but I'm thinking maybe its just too low now - I need some help.

Ive got the VP CMS/Panhard installed, and I understand scale looks will compromise performance - I am ok with this, I would prefer to keep the cms/panhard.

My problem is after installing the droop kit, not even at full droop either, there is hardly any suspension travel at all in the front. The panhard bar hits my Hitec 7980 and i cannot get full compression out of the front shocks, looks like its hitting the axle truss as well. Panhard bar is fairly level with the drag link.

I've got Gmade xd piggybacks on it now (103mm), I am wondering if some longer shocks will help with the travel, although, this seems counterintuitive to the droop set up - but I have never been good at setting up suspension.

I mostly want to use the truck for crawling, some trailing, not much of a basher.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

pics...

Pic below, axle is fully articulated, but still travel left in the shock.

Drivers side seems ok to me..

Passenger side is my problem..You can see the rear tire lifting..

Here you can see how close the pan hard is to the servo and truss..

So, do I just need to get rid of the droop? It started as a Poison Spyder, so lower shock mounts are already flipped. Are longer shocks the answer? If so I'd love some suggestions.

Thanks!
rknaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

From my experience the side the pan hard mounts onto the axle has less flex that the other side.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A little help with suspension please?

Similar problem as with the SCX10. The drag link hits the frame. I would just drop the panhard and go back to 4 link and axle mounted servo. CMS and panhard is just for the look.
I run mine even lower with similar length shocks and droop kit. At the rear the axle truss hits the frame a couple millimetres before full compression, and the front servo just touches the frame. Since this situation is nearly impossible to experience out on the rocks I don't bother. I've got full articulation with a much lower COG than stock.
The only downside is that the skid tends to hung up on top of pointy obstacles, so I might have to trottle over those or pick an other line. But capacities in hills make up for it. Each setup ha it's ups and downs...
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Has to be a way to run the pan hard and the droop isn't there?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ive always gone with performance beats out looks any day unless you're building a show rig.

Even the scx10 has issues with the upper steering links hitting the frame before full shock travel.

If your CMS is hitting making it worse then decide if you want looks or better travel ; then you know what you have to do.

Either raise it back up some or do away with the CMS at that height.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Ive always gone with performance beats out looks any day unless you're building a show rig.

Even the scx10 has issues with the upper steering links hitting the frame before full shock travel.

If your CMS is hitting making it worse then decide if you want looks or better travel ; then you know what you have to do.

Either raise it back up some or do away with the CMS at that height.
This is pretty much the answer I was expecting, and I guess looking for. I'm gonna order another servo plate (used the one for the rear steer), and take off the cms for a while.

Thanks!
rknaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Longer shocks would definitely help too man if your lookin to keep everything. Of course youd always have that limit on the panhard side but youll get more droop and articulation with a longer shock which will help you out with crawling.

- Richard
creepinchevy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I run VP CMS and panhard on my wraith with droop kit but I have 110mm king shocks and I have very good travel
geislerj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

I'm running the same suspenion set up on my wraith, you can go longer shocks but your ride height will increase. I spaced out my front bumper and cut out some of the bs frame rails. I had to brace the front of my chassis to the top of the lowring braces. What i'm planning for the rear is to do a trailing arm set up. If you angle the shocks you will get more travel but you will need to play with the valving and re bound. I want to keep mine low i'm runner a tekin rs pro gen 2 with a 17.5 turn redline and a 2 speed trans. I played with weight distribution and is crawls great and gets it in high range.
If you want some pics let me know.
PARTSJEREMY is offline   Reply With Quote

A little help with suspension please? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rustler suspension arms versus bandit suspension arms... STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Non Crawler RC's 5 08-30-2010 11:05 AM
suspension help ryan772 Venom Creeper 21 05-03-2010 01:08 PM
Suspension help!! Fudge Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 03-05-2009 03:26 AM
suspension???? joes07rr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 12-18-2008 09:32 AM
Suspension ComancheCrawler13 General Crawlers 3 02-05-2006 04:50 PM