Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Knuckle Busters 1.9 Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Knuckle Busters 1.9 Wraith

A few weeks ago I got my first Wraith after eyeballin them for quite a while. I bought a RTR poison spyder. I'll use this thread as a build thread to document any modifications, upgrades, and repairs that the wraith goes through. (1.9 conversion starts on pg.3)

First mod was install the TSX45 servo which came as a replacement because the stock one didn't last more than 2 battery packs. I also cut off the front fender flares, they seem to rub constantly.
I then did the battery forward mod. I put the battery under the hood, and moved the ESC back, right behind the plastic interior. All the wiring reached so it ended up being pretty simple and free mod.

After doing that naturally the next mod would be the hood mod. I used a very sharp wood carving blade to slowly scribe a cut line along the already existent hood line on the wraith. It sliced through and made some pretty even cuts. Came out better than anticipated.

Then I decided to do the fastback cage mod. The corners where I cut still need to be cleaned up nice. Heres a few pics showing both the cut hood and the cage. And I also cut the ears off the front bumper.

As far as power is concerned, I have a HH 13t Crawlmaster pro on the way. I also have a Castle Creations BEC coming along with some deans connectors so I can switch the wraith plug, and 2 of my 3s lipos that I have for my Blade heli. Next on the shopping list is gears... 16/84 to start with.

Last edited by KBR97; 01-18-2015 at 02:55 PM.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Knuckle Busters RTR Wraith

Just add some preload to the shocks if you want it raised in the front. But a raked stance will give you more forward bias for hill climbs.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Just add some preload to the shocks if you want it raised in the front. But a raked stance will give you more forward bias for hill climbs.
Ok, good point. I'll try that out first.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You don't seem too noobish to me! Mods coming along nice so far.

Were you running it on 3S from the start? That might explain why the stock servo failed so quickly. Give an update on how the HH 13T works out..
3stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Aren't the bottom shock mounts already flipped on the poison spyder?
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stage View Post
You don't seem too noobish to me! Mods coming along nice so far.

Were you running it on 3S from the start? That might explain why the stock servo failed so quickly. Give an update on how the HH 13T works out..
No I was running 2s 5000mah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattinfarms View Post
Aren't the bottom shock mounts already flipped on the poison spyder?
Idk but if they are then maybe I lifted the truck Can anybody confirm this? The "nub" on the shock mount, should it be pointing up or down to be lowered?

Last edited by KBR97; 04-16-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

In your 1st picture from above they are facing upward. So it's a higher COG unless that pic was BEFORE you did the flip. The mounts should point down towards the ground.
Markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Switched them back the way they were. Told you I was a newb when it came to this stuff.

Today I got some goodies in the mail. HH 13T Crawlmaster, and a Castle BEC. Just waiting on gears from Amain.

Made up a metal tray/cover for the rear section of the cage.
The aluminum is pretty thin but I doubled it up underneath for some support. Im going to use small zip ties to hold it in place. Needs some more trimming still.

I ebayed one of my RC Helis and I have a nice stash growing in my paypal. I want to do some suspension and steering upgrades. I've been looking at getting the VP drag link and tie rod.

Last edited by KBR97; 12-28-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

VP steering will work on your stock knuckles, I have VP uppers and lowers the older 1/4" TI ones they get pretty scratched up, I did take my lowers off and polished them but it didn't last long.
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
VP steering will work on your stock knuckles, I have VP uppers and lowers the older 1/4" TI ones they get pretty scratched up, I did take my lowers off and polished them but it didn't last long.
Good to hear. Maybe steering will be next upgrade.

So I got the BEC wired in. Red and black wires into the power leads. Plugged the other side into batt port on the receiver. Pulled the red wire out of the throttle plug in the reciever. Sound right?

I powered it up and ran it a few minutes with a 3s. Everything seemed okay. I got 3 beeps when I turned on the switch. One thing different that I did notice is the steering servo has power before I flip the switch. I'm assuming thats because I wired the bec right at the plug. Is that going to be a problem? I only did that because I was switching to deans plugs and it was just easy.

Last edited by KBR97; 04-20-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBR97 View Post
Good to hear. Maybe steering will be next upgrade.

So I got the BEC wired in. Red and black wires into the power leads. Plugged the other side into batt port on the receiver. Pulled the red wire out of the throttle plug in the reciever. Sound right?

I powered it up and ran it a few minutes with a 3s. Everything seemed okay. I got 3 beeps when I turned on the switch. One thing different that I did notice is the steering servo has power before I flip the switch. I'm assuming thats because I wired the bec right at the plug. Is that going to be a problem? I only did that because I was switching to deans plugs and it was just easy.
You are correct on your BEC installation. The three beeps means you have a 3s LiPo attached, it would beep twice with 2s. Servo power before flipping switch is normal. Most folks on here will tell you to cut the switch and straight wire. I do this on all my rigs. This way your on/off switch is when you connect/disconnect the battery. This is a good thing to do as you should never leave your battery connected when you are not running your rig, especially with LiPo.

Keep up the good work!

RCTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Alright, another day working on the Knuckle Busters Wraith. Like I said in the previous post.... Castle BEC was wired up yesterday, along with switching everything over to deans.

Today my gears came from Amain hobbies.
84 tooth Kimbrough Racing
16 tooth Robinson Racing

Got the the gears and the new 13t Crawlmaster motor all setup. This thing runs awesome now. This setup with 3s pack gives me about the same top speed as the stock wraith on 2s, but with a ton more torque. I like it

Old 04-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Anyone know if the crawlmaster expert motors are coming labeled in red now? I thought I ordered an expert but now that I look back at the website it resembles a crawlmaster pro quite a bit.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Expert is blue or black if I remember correctly. The one you have is the best same one I have and I love it!
J5races is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Axial universals came today. Installed them when I got home from work. Had some brain farts with the Chubs and had put them back on wrong, but we're all good now.
A set of MIP hex drivers came also

Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Did some good rock crawling today on my lunch break. The 13t motor is working great. It has stayed warm to the touch when crawling, and high speed. Very happy with it so far. I might drop the pinion down to 15 just to see the difference. The stock motor used to get so hot it would burn my finger.

VP knuckles came today also!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I got the VP knuckles on. The stock steering rubs itself a little here and there but nothing major I guess. The bottom of the servo horn rubs on the tie rod.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Latest update...I got 2 pairs of Traxxas Revo pushrods 5319 in the mail yesterday. Today was a very very rainy day so I brought some tools to work and replaced the plastic control arms with these. A little dremel work on the skid plate mounts and they were on.

It took minimal dremel work to remove the corner where the ends would bind up.

All 4 lowers installed

Old 05-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Well the TSX45 servo is shot. It was actually working pretty good for what it is. Until the left front tire caught the post on my backyard gate and almost full power. Not sure exactly what happened to it but it just jitters and buzzes and the tires don't turn at all. I opened it up and the gears lock up in the same spot every time I spin it by hand.

A Savox 1230sg will be here tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The Savox is a pretty awesome servo. I also got some steering links from Vanquish today!

Heres a short list of the stuff I have installed....
HH Crawlmaster Pro 13t
16/84 Pinion/Spur
Savox 1230SG
3s 2200mah
Castle BEC
Axial Universals
Vanquish Knuckles
Vanquish Steering
Revo Pushrod Lower Links

Things on my wishlist...
Axial servo horn
Vanquish chubs
3racing winch
DMG stump back or short back
upper links
scalerfab rock sliders
Spekrum DX3c
make or buy some new panels
maybe one day go brushless and 4s

Heres a pic from the other day after the new lower links and servo install....

Last edited by KBR97; 05-11-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Knuckle Busters 1.9 Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knuckle weights for wraith? Subytuner Axial Wraith 24 03-10-2015 02:46 PM
Wraith knuckle question Dhallmark Axial XR10 8 01-28-2014 05:12 PM