Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Sevastra's Monster G.O.A.T.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #121
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sevastra's Monster G.O.A.T.

Got it out and dirty today. Love how it'll pull wheelies from a stand still in high gear

Sorry there isn't any action pics, will get some soon.

Going to put the integy wheels back on, the rc4wd militants won't hold the bead. Can't say I was thrilled with how they looked anyway. They'll likely be sold soon.. Which means more money for upgrades.

I need to get some of the larger pins for the MIP defender shafts I'm running in the front. Grub screws just don't hold.

Now to get to cleaning.. But look! Got Zeke's Wraith going as well, so I've got a crawling buddy.

Thanks again for selling me your Wraith Allon! Its getting well abused.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #122
Rock Crawler

Quick question for those of you running heavy crawlers: What springs are you using? I'm currently running Proline Power stroke dual springs in the rear (both of them the red coded stiff springs) and its still riding low. Thinking about doubling up the shocks in the rear, fronts are fine.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #123
Pebble Pounder

Got a quick question for you Sevastra, I have this same frame (untouched). How did you set up the steering? I see you used the panhard/chassis servo mount. Did that go right in or was there fabrication needed?
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #124
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Got a quick question for you Sevastra, I have this same frame (untouched). How did you set up the steering? I see you used the panhard/chassis servo mount. Did that go right in or was there fabrication needed?
The panhard / chassis servo mount is a custom steel plate I made using a STRC alluminun servo / panhard mount as a template. It's welded into place, and has given me no issues at all.

If you have access to a welder (cheap harbor freight 110 welders do the job just fine) you could make and attach your own fairly easily. Only takes about an hour or so to do.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #125
Pebble Pounder

Well I'm trying the on axle servo in mine. My long wheelbase won't work with a panhard bar I don't think and the servo hits the winch mount. Gonna chop mine similar to yours with a few changes and see where it takes me. Definitely using a couple of your ideas on the cage though. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #126
Rock Crawler

Did some more work on the front exo today. Started the roof section to protect the new body.

Started the body work. Still need to do the sanding.. At least this time around I won't be butchering the body to clear the light bar mounts. Will weld them to the exo roof.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #127
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well I'm trying the on axle servo in mine. My long wheelbase won't work with a panhard bar I don't think and the servo hits the winch mount. Gonna chop mine similar to yours with a few changes and see where it takes me. Definitely using a couple of your ideas on the cage though. Keep up the good work!
The Chinese cages move the skid forward, effecting the entire setup. The servo on axle will work, but you might consider cutting the front bumper assembly off and reworking it for clearance / your personal taste.

You can shorten the wheelbase fairly easily, but watch that front drive shaft. It'll jam on the down stroke and kill the pinion bearings and gearset. The D90 MIP shafts are the right size if you pull the axle back so it looks right with the chassis.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #128
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
The Chinese cages move the skid forward, effecting the entire setup. The servo on axle will work, but you might consider cutting the front bumper assembly off
Already ahead of ya. Got that and the top rear half cut off. Gonna get some bar stock tomorrow and box in the top. Then tie in the rear shock mounts, dropped the roller frame a couple too many times from three feet and noticed some bending at the rear mounts. Gonna fix that from happening again and try to keep the back as simple as possible while in at it. May leave the front as it is for a while, there's alot of room without that front bumper assembly there. Lol
Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #129
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Already ahead of ya. Got that and the top rear half cut off. Gonna get some bar stock tomorrow and box in the top. Then tie in the rear shock mounts, dropped the roller frame a couple too many times from three feet and noticed some bending at the rear mounts. Gonna fix that from happening again and try to keep the back as simple as possible while in at it. May leave the front as it is for a while, there's alot of room without that front bumper assembly there. Lol
Post up some pics when you do!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #130
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
Quick question for those of you running heavy crawlers: What springs are you using? I'm currently running Proline Power stroke dual springs in the rear (both of them the red coded stiff springs) and its still riding low. Thinking about doubling up the shocks in the rear, fronts are fine.
The trailing arms your running aren't helping here. try to move the shocks as far to the axle as possible.
having the shock mounted halfway between the skid and the axle requires a spring twice as stiff to keep the same ride height.
doubling the shocks will have the same effect.

very nice rig, mister. love the crane. very original.
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #131
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb View Post
The trailing arms your running aren't helping here. try to move the shocks as far to the axle as possible.
having the shock mounted halfway between the skid and the axle requires a spring twice as stiff to keep the same ride height.
doubling the shocks will have the same effect.

very nice rig, mister. love the crane. very original.
Thought I had responded to this already. Guess my cell phone never posted it.

The shocks are already offset as far as possible. With how far the skid sits forward on the chassis it's hard to tell from the pictures. I'm aware they'd work better if attached directly to the axles rather than the trailing arm, but I'm choosing to stick with the trailing arms instead.

While I don't really need the extra dampening from running dual shocks in the rear, I want the added spring support for the chassis. Would rather not have the chassis riding directly on the rear axle all the time under throttle. Currenty I've got the stiffest springs equiped that I own (Proline Powerstroke Rear dual rate spring setup, red tagged top and bottom)

I've got a set of stock wraith shocks. Might use them for mock up and attach some more mounting tabs up top so I can run them.

I still haven't finished the rear roof support on the front exo yet. I've got to cut a piece of steel plate to mount where the wrecker lights will go and drill some bolt holes. Will also add some tabs for a front lightbar above the windshield. The 4 inch Vanquish light bar I had was too long, so I sold it on the forums. Haven't ordered a smaller one yet.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #132
Pebble Pounder

You could try some hot racing internal spring shocks. I'm using 100mm ones right now and I can put multiple springs in them to change the spring rates. Might be something to think about.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #133
RCC Addict

G-Made Zero's have some hella stiff springs, I run them on my 1/6 Gladiator. They have like 6 different spring rates I believe.
Attached Images

Last edited by Norton; 11-21-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #134
Rock Crawler

Minor update. Did a little more to the front exo. Rear plate added so the roof can be secured down, and it'll double as a raised light bar mount for the amber wrecker light bar. I also attached the front light bar mounts just above the windshield.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #135
Pebble Pounder

You just tacked in some bottom and side panels to hold the batteries right?
Old 11-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #136
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You just tacked in some bottom and side panels to hold the batteries right?
Pretty much. The bottom panels are the sliders Werty made for me. The sides are some steel plate I cut. Be careful if you go this route, mine needs a little more space. The plates hold the battery tight, and are starting to tear the cover sliding them in and out.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #137
Pebble Pounder

I see, I'll wait till I get batteries and then make the holders. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #138
Quarry Creeper

anything happened in the last 4 years?
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:48 PM   #139
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray View Post
anything happened in the last 4 years?
6 years later..

I ended up selling this monstrocity in 2016. No crawler groups where I was living at the time. Logged in tonight because I missed doing the group crawling, this was very fun to play with. Nostalgia.. gotta love it eh?

Actually wish I knew where this chassis ended up. Wouldn't mind having it back.. If I remember correctly the whole thing went to a parts seller in California, with all the accessories and etc. Was about 97% finished compared to what the last few pictures show when it left.

Might have to consider building a 1.9 Wraith now.. Still hooked on the tow truck idea tho. Just don't see many of them xD

Sevastra's Monster G.O.A.T. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No more Monster? Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 23 02-04-2010 08:53 PM
Monster Mutt Monster Jam Clod..... Da Hermit Non Crawler RC's 21 01-31-2010 06:28 PM