Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #261
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler

Your welcome...They didn't have the .25 weights in stock when I ordered, so I just stacked the .125s. I just ordered another full kit the other day for my R1. I also have some light weight wheels ordered with yet another set of tires and foams to try out.

Haven't had a chance to try 'er out yet, but I'm confident the shocks will be pretty darned good with all the experience I have with shock tuning now!
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #262
dbw
Rock Stacker

What are your preliminary impressions of the new shocks?
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #263
Pebble Pounder

Great build ! New to the site but not rc, how do you like the hub weights compared to weight inside the tire? I have a set of blue monkey laying around I've never used and have been pondering trying them out with some un weighted wheels. Thanks in advance Chris
sirbuildsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #264
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw View Post
What are your preliminary impressions of the new shocks?
Very good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbuildsalot View Post
Great build ! New to the site but not rc, how do you like the hub weights compared to weight inside the tire? I have a set of blue monkey laying around I've never used and have been pondering trying them out with some un weighted wheels. Thanks in advance Chris
The knuckle weights will remove a significant amount of strain from the running gear and bearings compared to weighted wheels, especially when running brushless power. It really is the proper way of adding weight to the front end.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #265
I wanna be Dave

Another set of tires to try out....this time it's the Pit Bull Rock Beast XOR 2.2 tires. I've been wanting these for a while and have been waiting for them to come in stock at RPP, which finally happened last week. These skins are quite fat, almost like a steam roller tire! I filled them with Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 5.5” Comp Cut Inner / Firm Outer foams. I like the comp cut because it keeps the outer foam from wandering from side to side.

I am confident these will be a very high performance crawling tire, and even better than the Pit Bull Rock Beast II tires I used to have. I actually used to have these exact 1:1 tires on my Polaris RZR a few years ago...and they rocked!

The photos compare the size with the slightly taller, but skinnier ProLine Flat Iron XL tires.

WraithDMG_105

WraithDMG_104

WraithDMG_103

WraithDMG_102

WraithDMG_101

WraithDMG_100

Last edited by bilinvic; 07-04-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #266
I wanna be Dave

I knew it was XORs! Haha. I said to myself, after seeing they were back in stock at RPP after being out of stock for months, I bet he got XORs. They look sweet. Can't believe they make flat iron XLs look tall and skinny. Lol. We need a review on all the new goodies! I just got my knuckle weights mounted up today. So nice and I'm so glad I finally got them.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #267
I wanna be Dave

I will certainly let you know how the XORs perform...not sure when that will be because I have so much new with other rigs that I don't know which one to take out next! I'm getting another RC Bros knuckle weight kit tomorrow for the R1...they are really nice products. I goofed up with the wheels though by ordering the Axial Black Chrome Rocksters...I need an SLW type of wheel to fit with the knuckle weights.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #268
I wanna be Dave

Yes and speaking of SLWs, I was able to clear one .25 and one .125 with only 475 SLWs on my ProLine wheels. Those wheels have a ton of clearance on the inside of the wheel due to their design. Look good too.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #269
I wanna be Dave

Today was the day to test out the new PB XOR tires, the knuckle weights and the PL PS shocks...beautiful sunny day with about 10 other rigs. About 200 yards into the start of the day, my HH HV400 servo packs it in; locked tighter than Fort Knox.

I lowered my head and commenced the "walk of shame" back to my truck! Piss me off!
Old 11-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #270
I wanna be Dave

Default bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler

If it's any consolation, after going more than a year and a half with no day-ending breakages on trail, I had 3 of 4 rigs go down today (a rig for each of Roo, Scrunch (Roo's sis), and me, leaving only the spare working). SCX-10 driven by Scrunch had the end of an axle housing rip off, taking the chub and knuckle with it. SSD housings came in the mail this week, so they're going on now. Roo's rig (R1 Frankenstein) developed a glitchy then non-working throttle. My rig (Skeleton on its second voyage) snapped an axle end off inside the locker, becoming a 3-wheeler. All within about 5 mins when we were over an hour into our trail run. That left Roo driving the spare (Ascender) with Scrunch carrying two remotes and Dad carrying a backpack and 3 trucks on the 30-min hike back to the car, lol.

BTW - XORs rock (I run them on the R1 Frankenstein). Enjoy once you're up and running again!

Last edited by new2rocks; 11-22-2015 at 07:06 PM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #271
I wanna be Dave

Wow...your day was more expensive than mine! It's extremely rare that I have any breakdowns, like yourself; when I do, it feels like a tragedy though!
Old 11-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #272
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Wow...your day was more expensive than mine! It's extremely rare that I have any breakdowns, like yourself; when I do, it feels like a tragedy though!

Lol. Fortunately, I think only the Skeleton will cost me money I haven't already spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #273
Rock Crawler

Thinking about a set of XOR's for my goat now. Sorry to hear about the breakdown's, but atlrast they went out fighting.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #274
I wanna be Dave

Finally, my Wraith will have it's turn out on the rocks tomorrow...the Bomber has been hogging all of my attention lately. Looking forward to finally trying out the XOR's. The servo has been replaced with a HiTec 7950TH.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #275
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Finally, my Wraith will have it's turn out on the rocks tomorrow...the Bomber has been hogging all of my attention lately. Looking forward to finally trying out the XOR's. The servo has been replaced with a HiTec 7950TH.

XORs are awesome tires. They start out great and get even better with use. Enjoy!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #276
Rock Crawler

Do you need a wider rim to run xor's?
I'm asking because I saw gear head wheels offer a 1.5 wide wheel for the wider xor wheel in their description.

J.A.W - just another wraith &
a Bomber!
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #277
I wanna be Dave

I believe most 2.2 Head Head RC wheels are 1.5 inches wide. I wouldn't want to use a narrower wheel since the XOR tires are quite wide.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:03 AM   #278
I wanna be Dave

I have them mounted on RC4WD 2.2 Militants, which are 1.3" wide, and stuffed with CI 2-stage foams. They look and work great, but I probably wouldn't go narrower than that.
R1 Frankenstein new project
Old 01-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #279
I wanna be Dave

Great run today with the DMG Wraith....the Pitbull XOR tires are "over the top" incredible (pun intended). Even on solid ice rock, they gripped like crazy to pull my heavy Wraith over almost every obstacle I put in front of 'er.

It's been a while since I have used this machine...by far my favourite crawler.

My 8 year old son took out the Wroncho Bug and did a fabulous job climbing today too. The little bit of frost snow cover at the peak was the first time he saw the white stuff this year.

The two short videos are the same section, just two different attempts.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #280
I wanna be Dave

...and the pics:

3Jan15_06

3Jan15_04

3Jan15_03

3Jan15_05

3Jan15_02

3Jan15_01

Last edited by bilinvic; 07-04-2017 at 11:08 PM.

bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Crawler - Wraith x R1 G-Made x Rock Force matoso Newbie General 10 01-07-2013 04:00 PM
Rocka´s Wraith Rock Crawler Rockatanski Axial Wraith 14 06-10-2012 01:39 PM