Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Kit: purple springs included?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 AM   #1

Default Wraith Kit: purple springs included?

Hi,

according to the axial web site and the manual, the Wraith Kit come with red marked, super soft springs (AX30218 - Spring 14x70mm 2.07 lbs/in - Super Soft (Red)), however, in my kit were purple marked springs (AX30224 - Spring 14x70mm 1.43 lbs/in - Purple (2pcs)).

So i'm puzzled, is there an undocumented change or did i get wrong springs? Besides, if the super soft red springs come as 2 lbs/in, where are the purple with 1.4 lbs/in positioned, mega soft?

regards
JoMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: Wraith Kit: purple springs included?

I think the manual was written regarding the RTR and the Kit comes with the softer springs. Welcome to the site.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
RCC Addict

My RTR Poison Spyder came with the Purples. I'm not sure how super soft 2.07 Reds are softer than the 1.43 Purples though.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #4

Hi,

as an introduction/ explanation: my primary field is 1/8th and 1/10th offroad racing, so - in terms of scaler/ crawler - i may be overemphasizing the spring topic.

The funny thing is: manual says super soft red, but included in the kit were even softer purple. The red ones are listed for the RTR as well - but the description of the kit mentions "TUNED SHOCK SPRINGS - [...] The softer spring rate keeps the Wraith™ on course and ready for your next obstacle!"

According to the axial site, the springs can be divided into two groups:
  • 'rated'
    • red - super soft - 2.07 lbs/in
    • white - soft - 2.47lbs/in
    • green - medium - 2.85 lbs/in
    • yellow - firm - 3.27 lbs/in
    • blue - super firm - 3.55 lbs/in
  • 'unrated'
    • black - 1.04 lbs/in
    • purple - 1.43 lbs/in
    • orange - 1.75 lbs/in
The ordering numbers are straight from red to orange, but the 'unrated' have a grey color base, while the 'rated' are white. And only the 'rated' springs are mentioned in the manual...

Since the manual has several errors (wrong dimensions, referencing unsuitable screws, wrong part numbers, ...) maybe the listing of the red spring is based on the XR10 legacy.

regards
Old 04-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

If we're talking about the first iteration of the Wraith then yes, the kit comes with purple springs. I can't speak for the PS Wraith.
RMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMei View Post
Hi,

according to the axial web site and the manual, the Wraith Kit come with red marked, super soft springs (AX30218 - Spring 14x70mm 2.07 lbs/in - Super Soft (Red)), however, in my kit were purple marked springs (AX30224 - Spring 14x70mm 1.43 lbs/in - Purple (2pcs)).

So i'm puzzled, is there an undocumented change or did i get wrong springs? Besides, if the super soft red springs come as 2 lbs/in, where are the purple with 1.4 lbs/in positioned, mega soft?

regards
From my build thread....according to my Wraith KIT MANUAL.........Stock Axial Wraith KIT springs are supposed to be black according to kit instructions, but mine all have a small purple paint spot on the end which according to Axial's site is 14x70mm 1.43 lbs/in:
Axial Racing - Axial Wraith 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - Kit

.....weird because they feel a little stiffer than the Losi whites, which are supposed to be 1.8 lbs/in:
Losi: 2.75" Spring 1.8 Rate, White: Losi (LOSA5147)

Trying to get my ride height down some more on this light rig, the stock Axial longer springs had some preload even with the threaded shock collars all the way up, so I changed out Axial kit springs for some shorter Team Losi 2.5" Pink (p/n LOSA5150) all around 2.3lbs/inch rate springs
Losi: 2.5" Spring 2.3 Rate, Pink: Losi (LOSA5150)

Also bought a set of 2.5" Red 2.5 rate and Orange 2.9 rate for tuning.

I'll be cutting down some of my softer 2.75" length springs to get the height down and keep it soft.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hi,

as an introduction/ explanation: my primary field is 1/8th and 1/10th offroad racing, so - in terms of scaler/ crawler - i may be overemphasizing the spring topic.

The funny thing is: manual says super soft red, but included in the kit were even softer purple. The red ones are listed for the RTR as well - but the description of the kit mentions "TUNED SHOCK SPRINGS - [...] The softer spring rate keeps the Wraith™ on course and ready for your next obstacle!"

According to the axial site, the springs can be divided into two groups:
  • 'rated'
    • red - super soft - 2.07 lbs/in
    • white - soft - 2.47lbs/in
    • green - medium - 2.85 lbs/in
    • yellow - firm - 3.27 lbs/in
    • blue - super firm - 3.55 lbs/in
  • 'unrated'
    • black - 1.04 lbs/in
    • purple - 1.43 lbs/in
    • orange - 1.75 lbs/in
The ordering numbers are straight from red to orange, but the 'unrated' have a grey color base, while the 'rated' are white. And only the 'rated' springs are mentioned in the manual...

Since the manual has several errors (wrong dimensions, referencing unsuitable screws, wrong part numbers, ...) maybe the listing of the red spring is based on the XR10 legacy.

regards
Good info, thanks for posting but what is unrated springs...if the lbs/in are given....that is the spring rating....wtf?
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

Hi,

'rated' and 'unrated' (please note the ticks) relates to the attributes "super soft", "soft", ... Since i'm no nativ english speaker, i don't know how to name the different properties: the spring spec (lbs/in or N/m), the color coding (red, white, ...) and the 'named attribute' - they're all ratings, each on a different scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
From my build thread....according to my Wraith KIT MANUAL.........Stock Axial Wraith KIT springs are supposed to be black according to kit instructions, but mine all have a small purple paint spot on the end which according to Axial's site is 14x70mm 1.43 lbs/in
I've checked both manuals (Kit & RTR), both stating red coded springs as included and mention the white springs, the grey springs (black, pirple, orange) are not even mentioned in the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMack View Post
If we're talking about the first iteration of the Wraith then yes, the kit comes with purple springs. I can't speak for the PS Wraith.
You call the RTR and Kit first iteratation, so you would call he Poison Spyder 2nd iteration? I thought besides body and light buckets, there are no differences.

regards
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hi,

'rated' and 'unrated' (please note the ticks) relates to the attributes "super soft", "soft", ... Since i'm no nativ english speaker, i don't know how to name the different properties: the spring spec (lbs/in or N/m), the color coding (red, white, ...) and the 'named attribute' - they're all ratings, each on a different scale.

I've checked both manuals (Kit & RTR), both stating red coded springs as included and mention the white springs, the grey springs (black, pirple, orange) are not even mentioned in the manual.

You call the RTR and Kit first iteratation, so you would call he Poison Spyder 2nd iteration? I thought besides body and light buckets, there are no differences.

regards
OK I understand now, they are all rated by the lbs/in compression.

According to my Wraith KIT MANUAL (one of the early kits)...Stock Axial Wraith KIT springs are supposed to be black according to kit instructions, but mine all have a small purple paint spot on the end which according to Axial's site is 14x70mm 1.43 lbs/in:
Axial Racing - Axial Wraith 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - Kit

Sure, makes sense PS Wraith could be second or third iteration. IMO RTR is first, KIT is second and PS is third iteration.

Thanks for clarification.

Wraith Kit: purple springs included? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Purple Springs??? CamposZac96x Axial Wraith 4 03-04-2013 05:23 PM