Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Need someone to explain the forward and reverse rotation motor deal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need someone to explain the forward and reverse rotation motor deal.

Ok I have a ps wraith with the ring gear set like the manual says. I have a 21t traxxas motor and everything is wired and set to normal. If I'm reading the write ups correct wouldn't mine wraith go backwards when I throttle forward with the standard rotation motor. Like I said nothing on transmitter gears or motor are reversed and the motor is standard rotation
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need someone to explain the forward and reverse rotation motor deal.

Depends on which way you have your lockers inside the differentials facing.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Need someone to explain the forward and reverse rotation motor deal.

They are facing the way the manual says to face them, that's why I'm confused.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You can compensate for forward / reverse running motors pending which direction you install the lockers. If you followed the manual and installed them as directed it'll work fine with the factory motor. If you switch motors later on to one that runs reverse, simply remove the lockers from the differentials and flip them, then re-install. Then even tho the motor runs in reverse, the vehicle will still move forward.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Or instead of swapping all the gears, just switch the motor wires and go play. there is no need to over complicate things.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattinfarms View Post
If I'm reading the write ups correct wouldn't mine wraith go backwards when I throttle forward with the standard rotation motor.
No, not quite. Clock-wise and Counter Clock-wise rotation has to do with timing on the motor, not the wiring. Just like in a 1:1 rig with a distributor, you can advance the timing to get better performance (to a point). So, on a Cw motor they increase the timing to get better performance, and on the CCw motor they add negative timing, so it'll actually get better performance running the reverse rotation. On the better motors you can adjust the timing either way, or even set it at "0" and get the same performance forward and reverse. Some motors may even come with brushes that are designed specifically to perform better in one direction or the other. Traxxas motors don't fall into this category, their just cheap, bullet proof, disposable motors. But that's why we like 'em.

The only way to physically change the direction of the rig is to reverse the RX, flip the ring and pinion gears, or swap pos and neg wires at the motor connection. To take advantage of the std rotation motor I recommend you flip the gears and reverse your Rx. Flipping the gears swaps the rotation of the differential, making it run in reverse. Then you switch your Rx and it'll run forward again and you'll be able to take advantage of the advanced timing of the traxxas motor.

I may have messed up on the explaination, but hopefully you get the idea.
Slowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thank you slowpony, that was exactly what I was trying to find out just guess I didn't know how to write it
Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel kawboy View Post
Or instead of swapping all the gears, just switch the motor wires and go play. there is no need to over complicate things.
Eh, yes you can do that, but most motors have have advanced timing favoring the direction of rotation. Even something with as little as 3-6 degrees timing advance will result in loss of rpm, shortened brush life, and brush arcing and burned commutators if simply ran with reverse polarity.

On modified motors, simply rotate the endbell 180 to reverse rotation, on stock motors, flip the diff 180 or mirror the tranny.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have the 21t Titan in standard rotation so I'm pretty sure with gears in stock location it was going in the wrong direction

Need someone to explain the forward and reverse rotation motor deal. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forward or reverse rotation Traxxas 21t? ik632 Axial Wraith 20 08-28-2014 09:40 PM
reverse rotation motor? 94smasher Axial Wraith 33 12-01-2012 05:39 AM
how to reverse motor rotation Ricky2Toes Newbie General 4 03-12-2012 07:05 PM
Reverse rotation motor install Steve Hipsley Axial Wraith 7 12-29-2011 10:45 AM
reverse rotation motor?? RC-SUPERMAN Newbie General 6 04-22-2006 06:12 PM