Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New servo and bec questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #1

Default New servo and bec questions

Been having my servos replaced under warranty for quite some time now because I'm fairly new to the whole idea of modding the electronics on these things.... However I'm tired of breaking them so I decided its time to upgrade.

I bought the twister high performance waterproof servo (277 torque) and a castle bec. I figured since this servo is higher power I would need the bec so went ahead and got one.

I installed them Both last night. Even after the install, I feel this servo is weak. On the smooth surface of my garage it will turn the tires no problem, but on carpet even, it will struggle. Is there something wrong with it. Does the bec need to be tuned to be able to help it out? I know it's not the highest amount of torque but it's all I could do right now... But I don't feel it's any improvement when it should be.
Rockroaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockroaster View Post
Been having my servos replaced under warranty for quite some time now because I'm fairly new to the whole idea of modding the electronics on these things.... However I'm tired of breaking them so I decided its time to upgrade.

I bought the twister high performance waterproof servo (277 torque) and a castle bec. I figured since this servo is higher power I would need the bec so went ahead and got one.

I installed them Both last night. Even after the install, I feel this servo is weak. On the smooth surface of my garage it will turn the tires no problem, but on carpet even, it will struggle. Is there something wrong with it. Does the bec need to be tuned to be able to help it out? I know it's not the highest amount of torque but it's all I could do right now... But I don't feel it's any improvement when it should be.
Is the 277 torque at 6volts or more? The bec is set to 5.5 volts default. You need a castle link to change it to 7.2 or there abouts....then it will be stronger...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #3

Default Re: New servo and bec questions

I should also note that the servo is kinda noisy, even when at a stand still. Should it be? And also now that I have a bec, my headlights and taillights are always on as long as the battery is connected... Is that right?

Sorry for all the newb questions. Been around these things for years but never messes with electronics.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Is the 277 torque at 6volts or more? The bec is set to 5.5 volts default. You need a castle link to change it to 7.2 or there abouts....then it will be stronger...
Yeah the 277 is for the higher count. So I need to get the castle link it sounds like?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I should also note that the servo is kinda noisy, even when at a stand still. Should it be? And also now that I have a bec, my headlights and taillights are always on as long as the battery is connected... Is that right?

Sorry for all the newb questions. Been around these things for years but never messes with electronics.
Digital servos chatter trying to find center, even when sitting still you will hear them.

Your lights will be on because of the BEC, just make sure you pulled the red wire from the ESC, at the receiver, don't wanna buck power. I ended up cutting the switch off my ESC and soldered the two leads together, so that the entire truck is on when I plug in the battery. I burned up a really good servo once by powering up the BEC/servo, and not turning the switch on... The way my rig is wired, the BEC is wired directly to my servo, so the servo would power up, but have no radio signal - something went crazy and the wheels went full lock, now the servo is toast.

I've used all kinds of servos, and wasn't happy till I got to the 400+ oz range. One thing to check is make sure there is no binding in the steering. Disconnect the drag link from the servo, move the wheels by hand, they should turn freely.
rknaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
RCC Addict

That servo is only 277 at 7.4volts. You'll have to set your BEC to 7.4 or higher to get enough voltage to keep that servo happy. If you have installed it in a wraith, as I assume you have since you're posting here, you will regret buying that servo unless you do nothing but trail driving. That servo will stall out VERY easy as the wraith with aftermarket tires, wheel weights and slow driving turns will requires 350oz or better to perform.

Side not, you need to run 3s lipo batteries in order to turn your BEC up that high or it will never have enough voltage to feed the servo. As battery voltage drops, so will voltage through your BEC and untimately to the servo. At first it will be fine, but after running a few minutes, it will not. 3s voltage cutoff is around 9.6V...still enough voltage to feed 7.4 through the BEC
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

This is all great info. Yes, I am using a wraith. Makes sense on the servo chatter and lights being on, which I'm fine with just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong, and I checked and have no binding in the steering.

I went out and grabbed the Castle Link and changed the bec to 7.4... Made quite a bit of difference... No issue Turing at a stop on carpet anymore, but still pretty weak in grass or rocks, so i may be sending it back and just putting the money down for a much higher torq version. Most of what I do is trail riding, but I do like to crawl whenever I get the chance.

I also picked up a 3s Lipo which I've been told will work fine with the factory esc, but might in the long run ruin the motor, which I want to replace anyway.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

My advice. Pull that servo and save it for a DIG.

Replace it with Savöx 1231SG... 444 ounce inches of tork at 6.0 volts.
Set the BEC to 7.2 volts or better and you WILL move the rocks!

Last edited by DrDiff952; 05-02-2014 at 08:06 AM.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDiff952 View Post
My advice. Pull that servo and save it for a DIG.

Replace it with Savöx 1231SG... 444 ounce inches of tork at 6.0 volts.
Set the BEC to 7.2 volts or better and you WILL move the rocks!
Just looked this up... Wish I would have ordered this one in the first place, not a bad price for so much torq! Think I might have to get this to replace my current one.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Just looked this up... Wish I would have ordered this one in the first place, not a bad price for so much torq! Think I might have to get this to replace my current one.
If you do end up getting that particular savox servo, make sure to set the bec to 6 volts. Contrary to what the previous poster said, that servo is not rated above 6 volts.
m1crochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I run the 1231sg at 6 volts on my bec and i have had great luck and performance with it.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote

New servo and bec questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New motor, esc, servo, bec...questions jayross101 Axial Wraith 3 11-04-2012 02:53 PM
bec questions????? KnightRyder Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 01-19-2010 03:22 PM
BEC questions SGriffin Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 09-17-2009 06:49 PM
gearing/servo/BEC questions gta3wheeler Newbie General 3 12-25-2007 10:23 PM
ESC / Servo / BEC Wiring Questions??? RCholic Electronics 1 09-18-2007 06:11 AM