Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: SS Beefy top shaft install questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 AM   #1
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default SS Beefy top shaft install questions

hey guys, first build for me and I am doing the transmission. I upgraded to metal gears and the SS Beefy top shaft. Am I still using part #AX80078(2) which looks like part of the transmission cover? Without it or the spacer AX80051( I can get the two spacers (bearings) on the top shaft and the slipper pins just slides in. If I put that cover part on, I can't see most of the whole for the pin to go in. Seems like Ithat cover part needs to go. Is that right or am I way missing something?

I have the Slash slipper kit to put on too. Looks like it a self contained kit. Just slide on the spur with the back plate the pad sandwiched between it (like it came in the package), then the washer, spring, spring collar and Lock nut. How much should I tighten that look nut down?

Any input appreciated. I spent WAY too much time messing with this Transmission tonight and still don't know if I have it right!

Last edited by IPT; 05-14-2014 at 02:51 AM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SS Beefy top shaft install questions

Any chance you could take a picture of it?
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I used the spacer and one bearing. But am thinking about removing the spacer and going with both bearings.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I bought the HD motor plate and used both bearings
vicstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I never got the ss top shaft, only the slipper kit, and made it work with an extra spacer and a bearing - I just needed to make sure I removed all the lateral play from the shaft, and has been great since.

Sounds like you have assembly down right. I think the kind of rule of thumb with slippers is tighten it all the way down, then back off 1/4 of a turn, that's how I set mine and I love it. Will not slip unless I'm in a crazy bind.
rknaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, so then I guess I do need to mount the housing/ Was thinking about it this am and thought it might be needed to mount the tranny to the floor pan.

Anyway, here are the pics. Maybe I just need to get some washers and space it up with one bearing to get it to fit right with the case? I did not use the "spacer" between the outer transmission case and first bearing. First off there is no room, second, it's missing off the tree and I am not exactly sure which piece it is.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I think you need small Alum spacers s.s. sells small packs of them cheap
vicstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicstag View Post
I think you need small Alum spacers s.s. sells small packs of them cheap
, hmm, would have been nice to know that when I ordered the original part. They included the two bearings I thought that was all that would be required besides what they said. It specifically says you will need "Robinson racing slipper and 32P pinion". Nothing about spacers, grrr.

They have a link to the Harley thread regarding the install and it says something about that Traxxas slipper rebuild kit for a few parts. Harley responded saying that wasn't needed anymore. It's frustrating to me as a newbie the old information and if you're correct the lack of direction regarding all the parts you need for proper installation of the part :(. I emailed them and I will be curious to see the response.

Last edited by IPT; 05-14-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

You need the 3 spacers to go between the transmission case and the motor plate. That has nothing to do with the beefy top shaft kit though
littletoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
IPT
Quarry Creeper

3 spacers? That is not the stock build. This build is pretty much as it is the manual (see link: http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/839500000) There is only one spacer (part AX80051-8 17th post down). If I use that then I can't get the pin in, or I have slack behind the pin if I remove one of the bearings (used as a spacer). Are you saying use three spacers and remove a bearing?

This is getting more and more confusing as I go... Actually if I am correct the motor plate recess is large enough it slips over all the spacers and bearings so really there is nothing between it and the tranny case but the Spur Gear cover (that I don't have installed) and the motor plate butts up against.

Actually looking further along in that build it looks like there is a gap between the pin the slippers butts up too and the spacer/spur gear cover. Maybe it doesn't even matter and I can just take one bearing out and put in the Spur gear cover and call it good?

Axial Racing - Step By Step Wraith Kit Build – Part IV – Transmission

Last edited by IPT; 05-14-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #11
RCC Addict

It's not that you've changed to the SS shaft you need spacers, it's beacause you've removed the spur gear cover.
The rear piece of the spur cover has the spacers on it.

Now you've removed that you'll need 3x 7.5mm long x 6mm dia spacers to support the motor plate, they were standard on the old AX10 that had no spur cover. There's an Axial alloy version AX1037 if you can be bothered looking for them & buying them.
Instead if you still have the parts tree for the gearbox case there are 3 plastic spacers on it that should work. AX80051|5|

If you don't have that some of the spare pivot balls off the AX80018 parts tree should work.

Last edited by altd896; 05-15-2014 at 01:25 AM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #12
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Altd - thank you. Guess that is where the 3 spacer reference came from earlier. Yes, my intention was not to remove the Spur gear cover but I couldn't fit it with the two bearings provided by SS with it there. At the end of the day I think my confusion was that I thought he spacers needed to be flush up to the pin the Spur gear nestles onto. I realize now that is not the case. I put the cover back on and removed one bearing. It can slide a little forward or backwards but it cannot displace. I think it should be good and essentially looks like the stock setup spacing.

Thanks for the pics and detailed explaination. Made things a lot clearer - appreciate it .
Old 05-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
, hmm, would have been nice to know that when I ordered the original part. They included the two bearings I thought that was all that would be required besides what they said. It specifically says you will need "Robinson racing slipper and 32P pinion". Nothing about spacers, grrr.

the Motor plate you are using looks stock and should have come with spacers
If you purchased one of our Motor Plates it should have come with 7.6mm spacers

As the directions that came with your topshaft say
to use both bearings on the outside of your trans case so I see
by your pic's that you have that part correct

If you still have problems call me
Our phone number is on the bottom of our site on every page

Best Regards, Rick

Last edited by v84x4; 05-16-2014 at 02:22 PM.
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Do your self a favor and get the Super Shafty Ultimate Motor Plate as well!
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:15 AM   #15
IPT
Quarry Creeper

so then the major question is can there be any space behind the slipper's pin or should there be spacers butting up to it on each side?
Old 05-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
so then the major question is can there be any space behind the slipper's pin or should there be spacers butting up to it on each side?
people are making this more complicated than it needs to be, your pic with the 2 bearings is fine, no issues, it will move back and forth a bit but it does not hurt a single thing. mine is this way and runs 3s and some 4s when i feel like it, no issues at all.

put it together and go man!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

SS Beefy top shaft install questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
super shafty beefy top shaft Straxus Axial Wraith 23 10-08-2014 10:09 AM
Shaft removal & Mips Install questions WestTxRc Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 10-24-2011 06:17 PM