Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: What's a good ESC and good servo for my wraith without having to have BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #1

Default What's a good ESC and good servo for my wraith without having to have BEC?

I have a axial wraith and I need to upgrade my servo and everywhere I read tells me I need a BEC? I need a aftermarket ESC also perferbly waterproof on both? Any suggestions?
Traveazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What's a good ESC and good servo for my wraith without having to have BEC?

I would suggest a Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro. its a great unit. To my knowledge, and someone correct me if Im wrong, but you don't HAVE to run a BEC its just more of a guideline and i a good choice to help with powering you're high torque servos. i didn't run one on m mine for ever and i run savox 1230sg servos front and rear which are 499.9oz/in. so extra strong there and i def would recommend them. As far as waterproofing i wouldn't trust buying something that is already "waterproof". My roommate went that route on more than one occasion with more than one company and they worked ok at first but all eventually freaked out. Just get you some liquid electrical tape and shake out one of the guides on this site for waterproofing electronics.
JDIRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What's a good ESC and good servo for my wraith without having to have BEC?

I support Solar servos. Run them in all my trucks. $20 for 400oz. Can't beat it.
As far as waterproofing, I'm going to have to recommend conformal coating over liquid electrical tape. Its not as easily accessible but its SO much better! I've done both methods.
The MMP is a good call.
Conformal coating can be found on Amazon pretty cheap and one bottle will last a long time.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

im not to familiar with this stuff? What is it exactly?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Just deal with connecting a bec and get it over with, consider it an electronics insurance policy.

While I don't recommend it, yes an mmp CAN work ok without a bec on 2s... doesn't mean you SHOULD.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Love my waterproof br-xl from Holmes hobbies, it's made by castle.

Your local hobby shop will prolly do the soldering for cheap. If that's what your worried about.
Whiplashdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Been running my track star 150 without a external bec for 2 years. Currently running a savox 1268. And a 1/8 2200kv motor on 2-6s.

No problems at all and seems to run well against high dollar tekin motors and 400 oz servos. Not quite as smooth but I'll take that since i saved a few hundred dollars on the power combo but also have gobs more power.

150 sensored track star
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...grammable.html
Probly take 3 weeks to get is shipped. Keep in mind this compared to esc's with twice the price tag. This is rx8 territory

This is a fantastic servo for the money I run them on big planes and tried it on the wraith does damn well and never failed.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=23597

While I'm on the bargain bin parts. I rarely spend as much money in the hobby as the rest do but find products that are long lasting priced well below popular brands but still compare.

Cheap servo arm.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=23598
This is 25 spline or futaba. HK also stocks hitech spline

Hitech
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=23602

Last edited by evan03; 05-18-2014 at 09:32 AM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
Been running my track star 150 without a external bec for 2 years. Currently running a savox 1268. And a 1/8 2200kv motor on 2-6s.

No problems at all and seems to run well against high dollar tekin motors and 400 oz servos. Not quite as smooth but I'll take that since i saved a few hundred dollars on the power combo but also have gobs more power.

150 sensored track star
Turnigy Trackstar 150A GenII 1/8th Scale Sensored Brushless Car ESC - PC Programmable
Probly take 3 weeks to get is shipped. Keep in mind this compared to esc's with twice the price tag. This is rx8 territory

This is a fantastic servo for the money I run them on big planes and tried it on the wraith does damn well and never failed.

HXT 10kg Servo (metal gear) 55g / 10kg / .16sec (USA Warehouse)

While I'm on the bargain bin parts. I rarely spend as much money in the hobby as the rest do but find products that are long lasting priced well below popular brands but still compare.

Cheap servo arm.
CNC Alloy Servo Arm Short (Futaba) (USA Warehouse)
This is 25 spline or futaba. HK also stocks hitech spline

Hitech
CNC Alloy Servo Arm Short (HITEC) (USA Warehouse)
How does that servo do at low speeds and almost stopped like from a crawling stand point? Im always up to try bargain stuff.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've got tons of videos.
I think it does very well crawling . I'll see what I can dig up.

Not finding much for rock crawling I was in fast bashing stage back then.

This is also the 150 track star and 2200kv 1/8 scale motor with no sensor ESC is putting 5.7volts to servo.

Last edited by evan03; 05-19-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

well heck I'm sold enough now to at least try one out lol.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Awesome. Make sure you get the metal arm to.

My savox is getting sloppy so I'll swap on the hxt 10kg.

Ohhhh the hxt 10kg runs very smooth when greased and is very easy to do. But if you don't grease it it will still work great
Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Strongly recommend running a bec it eliminates any glitching or issues you may have with out one and it will let you upgrade to a stronger servo down the road with no hassle. the conformal coating is a reat way to water proof its thin so still lets heat escape but provides a barrier between the board and water I use it with all the board i do at work works fantastic very easy to apply.
Japanwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

A bec does not eliminate any and all gliching.

Yes it does work. Yes it is the holy grail of the Rc world. Do most run them yes. Do we all need to run one , no.

The bec seems to be a fix all almost as good as snake oil rubbed on the tires for better grip

Last edited by evan03; 05-20-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Your're better off making your decision based on what a B.E.C. actually does rather than a craptastic comparison to snake oil.

An esc supplies power to a motor but also to the receiver, and subsequently whatever you have plugged into the receiver. The first common problem with the setup is when you want to supply more voltage to the system than the esc is designed for. For example having a servo that's rated for 400oz at 7.2v may only be 300oz at the 5v your esc supplies. The second common problem is when the esc can't supply enough amperage. One servo may not pull enough amps to notice but throw in a second servo, winch, light bar, etc the esc may not be able to supply the needed amperage and may become unresponsive or die all together. The purpose of a Battery Eliminator Circuit is to allow you to set the amount of volts while supplying more amps to the radio side of your setup.

There are a few different ways to wire the B.E.C. based on what you are wanting it to do.

You also said you "need" an aftermarket esc without saying which esc you currently have. Going out on a limb and guessing that you have an AE-2. Most of the time a B.E.C. is reccomended to run with an AE-2 is becasue the B.E.C. in the AE-2 is only rated for 2cell lipo and usually dies when you try and run 3cell

As far as waterproofing, take some time to read this thread.
Water Proofing Electronics
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

When do most receivers brown out ?
Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
When do most receivers brown out ?
More specifically it's the esc browning out when it can't supply enough power to the receiver and what's plugged into the receiver. For example if your front tires are in a bind and you try to turn. The closer you get to stalling the servo the more power it wants. If the esc can't supply enough power it may become unresponsive or die all together. On the flipside, if the esc can supply power without browning out and you don't feel the need to send more voltage to things, you don't necessarily need a B.E.C.

I'm not trying to cram my opinion down anybody's throat whether they should run a B.E.C. or not, it just gets annoying when the topic is debated without an understanding of what you are trying to accomplish with B.E.C.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I agree with spooky, and would add that for $20 just add a castle bec and be done with it.
J5races is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

True.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveazy View Post
I have a axial wraith and I need to upgrade my servo and everywhere I read tells me I need a BEC? I need a aftermarket ESC also perferbly waterproof on both? Any suggestions?
To answer your question you want an ESC that supplies at least 6v of power and keep your servo power below say 230oz/tq.

The stock Axial ESC can Handle just under 200oz without a BEC but not with lights and a winch added to it all...The stock esc only provides 5v.

I would venture to say at 6v you can handle something with 200 or just over without needing a BEC...Again; without lights and a winch unless they have a separate power source.

If you feel you need a 300 400 500 600oz servo you definitely will need a BEC if you run lights and a winch or not if you want the power you paid for.
Consider some upgrades to the steering system as well.

I run a 177 oz/tq servo in a scx10 without an external BEC and have had zero problems with it so far....Then again I only use 1.9 tires so don't need as much power you would need to turn 2.2 tires effectively.

The powerful low cost servos aren't waterproof to my knowledge so not sure you want that anyway..Check savox for a wp servo with just over 200oz of tq...you shouldn't need a BEC to use it and have plenty of turning power..you're not going to move the earth with it but it should work just fine.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote

What's a good ESC and good servo for my wraith without having to have BEC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's a good esc and servo for under $81? Tim_B Newbie General 14 03-28-2008 04:45 PM
Good small ESC with no reverse delay or high amp BEC ??? roktoy Electronics 19 11-14-2006 11:26 PM