Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Moving the battery behind the seats sideways.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #1

Default Moving the battery behind the seats sideways.

Hi guys.
I have been staring endlessly at my wraith, thinking about chopping up the chassis real good. I have an idea to cut down a bit of the interior, drill some new holes to move the seat forward, and place the battery sideways right behind the front seats. Has anyone seen this done successfully? I gather that moving the battery forward is the best bet for crawling, but I tend to do more bashing with this ride. I also would like to try something that is not as common.
If I can make this work, my next project will be to cut about two inches from the rear of the chassis.
NoLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Moving the battery behind the seats sideways.

I have not seen this myself but it sounds interesting. Post pics and I say go for it! It would be cool to see something different. It might be very tricky to get a battery in and out from that location. Where would you mount your ESC?
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Ahhh check this thread out: Cams Wraith - Newest photos at the end.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I think with 3s 22nd it work.

I'm in the process of building a new chassis. Electronics and winch forward with battery right behind the seats

evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #5

That build thread is pretty much what I'm wanting to do. I'm curious why he moved it forward in the end, though. I've already built a nice water resistant tray in the front for wiring and electronics. Probably not my last placement, but it works good for now.
I'm looking forward to seeing how your build comes out Evan. That is where I want to place my battery. Only 2S, though. I cannot afford the carnage a 3cell leaves me :-)
Old 06-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLime View Post
That build thread is pretty much what I'm wanting to do. I'm curious why he moved it forward in the end, though. I've already built a nice water resistant tray in the front for wiring and electronics. Probably not my last placement, but it works good for now.
I'm looking forward to seeing how your build comes out Evan. That is where I want to place my battery. Only 2S, though. I cannot afford the carnage a 3cell leaves me :-)
3s is easy to drive without breakage with some commonsense and minimal upgrades like 32p pinion/spur, steel trans gears, MIPs, inner pinion bushings, lockers and HD ring and pinions. That's really all it takes. IMO it's not until 4s that you really start breaking anything past this upgraded stuff. Just use your head in the rocks and then you have the 3s speed on tap for the open areas. Especially since you said you want to bash with it.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
3s is easy to drive without breakage with some commonsense and minimal upgrades like 32p pinion/spur, steel trans gears, MIPs, inner pinion bushings, lockers and HD ring and pinions. That's really all it takes. IMO it's not until 4s that you really start breaking anything past this upgraded stuff. Just use your head in the rocks and then you have the 3s speed on tap for the open areas. Especially since you said you want to bash with it.
Lol I couldn't even imagine 4s!!! This thing is fast as it is on 2S, goes 30mph in second gear. If I try to turn at that speed I'm likely on my top. Henceforth the battery relocation and cage cutting. Trying to free up room for suspension travel and LCG. Do people regularly run 4s?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Show us your Wraith!! How do you get up to 30mph? What motor do you run? I must be doing something wrong with my 2S set up. I have a MMP and Tekin Pro4 3300kv brushless and it tops out at just over 16mph. I have open diff front and axial HD stock ratio gears in the rear. HR aluminum transmission case with HR gears inside. MIP driveshafts............pretty much fully upgraded.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #9

There's the pit!
I'm running stock gears, a pro4 HD 3000, and a two speed tranny with 4-1 overdrive... It used to be faster before all the aluminum :-)
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Show us your Wraith!! How do you get up to 30mph? What motor do you run? I must be doing something wrong with my 2S set up. I have a MMP and Tekin Pro4 3300kv brushless and it tops out at just over 16mph. I have open diff front and axial HD stock ratio gears in the rear. HR aluminum transmission case with HR gears inside. MIP driveshafts............pretty much fully upgraded.
Why the open diff? Does it help you turn?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yes open diff helps turn. I am not into crawling with this one so I went with an open diff up front.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLime View Post
Hi guys.
I have been staring endlessly at my wraith, thinking about chopping up the chassis real good. I have an idea to cut down a bit of the interior, drill some new holes to move the seat forward, and place the battery sideways right behind the front seats. Has anyone seen this done successfully? I gather that moving the battery forward is the best bet for crawling, but I tend to do more bashing with this ride. I also would like to try something that is not as common.
If I can make this work, my next project will be to cut about two inches from the rear of the chassis.
I did exactly this and it works fine. I did modify the bottom of the seat back so it would lean forward a bit more to make battery removal easier. If you look at how the seat back moves, you can see where a little material can be removed to allow that. I can tell a huge difference in how the Wraith handles and I didnt have to move the ESC and other electronics. Hope this works for you.
mccrory74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Impressive speed!!!
3stage is offline   Reply With Quote

Moving the battery behind the seats sideways. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving battery germ Axial Wraith 17 06-08-2013 07:29 PM
Moving battery mount jhedsy Axial Wraith 43 03-18-2012 01:15 PM
Moving battery tray to front nightfiref7efi Axial Wraith 10 07-30-2011 11:39 PM
moving battery to front axle? trevdogg420 Axial SCX-10 4 12-21-2009 08:18 AM
moving battery ped453 Newbie General 1 06-05-2009 02:45 PM