Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Help finding gears...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Help finding gears...

Anybody know of any websites that I can order the Hot racing hardened gear sets for the wraith transmission? RPP is out of stock along with supershafty and anywhere else I looked.

Only thing I found was the hardened aluminum set from hot racing. How do you guys think that will hold up? I'm running Holmes 13t with 3s.
Link...Axial AX10 Hard Anodizing Aluminum Center Gear Set SCP1000T Hardened Aluminum | eBay

I would just normally wait till they come back in stock but I need these by next Wednesday. I'm thinking of just running with the aluminum and see how it goes.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help finding gears...

You realize that if you are using the stock outputs & top shaft the 3 gears in the tranny are the same as the SCX10 , AX10 (Scorpion & Ridgecrest.) so any of those in steel would work as well.
Ebay is always a source
robinson wraith | eBay
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yes the stock outputs will be used. So the idler gear is the only one that is plastic correct?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The top gear is metal stock & the other 2 are plastic (idler & drive.)
replace the 2 plastics & you should be good to go RRP #1551 & # 1552
The outputs are steel but the gear between is plastic stock.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I should be looking at Robinson 1551 idler gear.
And the other should be Robinson 1552?

Robinson Racing 1552 Hardened Steel Bottom Differential Diff Gear Axial Wraith | eBay

I'm sorry I just want to get this right the first time.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I would buy the hot racing gears over the RRP gears honestly. I'm all done with RRP. Getting gears with garbage in the base of the teeth is unacceptable IMO. Over the last few years Hot Racing has stepped up their game and RRP has stepped down. I would wager that the Hot Racing Gears are stronger based on the superior tooth engagement as well. Also the stock top gear has been know to fail on occasion and that is only available from Hot Racing, not RRP. If the HR set isn't available on eBay right now they are almost always available seperatly. Just search "axial hot racing gear".

Edit: the Hot racing lower gear is also available in the light weight version with a bunch of unnecessary material removed. They are reported to only weigh 1g more than the aluminum gear. This is also unavailable from RRP.

Last edited by Calderwood; 06-26-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

yes the 1552 will replace the plastic gear between the outputs that your drive shafts connect to.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Ebay baby Ebay is the ticket!
MexicanMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Alright I may try out the hardened aluminum set from Hot Racing, Or maybe the 2 steel ones from Robinson. I can get both from an ebay seller that I have dealt with many times and always ships very fast. I'm having a hard time piecing together the steel ones from Hot Racing. Either the parts are unavailable or they just wont get here in time.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I would recommend a 1 piece lower gear, bending outputs sucks. I have the RRP one piece, no sure who else makes them. Also eliminated 3 tiny bolts that are impossible to check regularly.

Looks like Hot Racing # WRA38X, RRP # 1555.

Last edited by maslin; 06-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
I would recommend a 1 piece lower gear, bending outputs sucks. I have the RRP one piece, no sure who else makes them. Also eliminated 3 tiny bolts that are impossible to check regularly.

Looks like Hot Racing # WRA38X, RRP # 1555.
I have no experience with the hr one piece but the RRP one piece is a unnecessarily heavy and the outputs are known to be weaker than the stock outputs. The three bolts are a non issue and don't need to be checked regularly. Clean everything with alcohol and then red locktite them and they will never back themselves out.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I went with the hardened aluminum set from Hot Racing. Free shipping by Monday which works perfect for me. That gives me plenty of time to get everything together by Wednesday. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
I have no experience with the hr one piece but the RRP one piece is a unnecessarily heavy and the outputs are known to be weaker than the stock outputs. The three bolts are a non issue and don't need to be checked regularly. Clean everything with alcohol and then red locktite them and they will never back themselves out.
After bending two sets of stock oututs I switched to the RRP one piece. No issues since. The first set of outputs lasted 5 minutes after installing MIPs. Second set was a few hours later. That was months ago, I don't even worry about it anymore. I never had an issue with the bolts. 4550kv on 3s is rough on parts, BMX tracks don't help either
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote

Help finding gears... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***Giveaway*** - Mann Gears - HD Replacement Berg Gears mann0mann EnRoute Berg 72 06-20-2010 07:24 PM
building a transfercase, need help with finding gears TxCruzr General Crawlers 12 05-07-2008 06:07 AM