Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New build need help with motor/esc and stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: New build need help with motor/esc and stuff.

Have you flipped your lower shock mounts? It will lower it some and the steering will look better.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
Looks sweet. Sweet motor and esc.

But steering looks like shit. Lol. Might have to fab some custom dra link and Panhard
Whats wrong with it? It has the VP chassis mount servo kit with panhard and drag link.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC6R View Post
Have you flipped your lower shock mounts? It will lower it some and the steering will look better.
I'll give that a try..
Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
This is how I did mine, I do have a full set of "Da Boxes" on the way so some of this may change.

I made a battery tray and a firewall out of some $2 scrap plastic I got at my local Tap Plastics, the plastic I used is a bit thick but it's what they had at the time and I planned on going with the "Da Boxes" any ways so...

I made the battery tray so that it connected with the top of the forward brace so it didn't need to be bolted in so it comes out easily, after trimming down the interior I made a new firewall that just slides in place and made some holes in it to route wiring through.

I wanted my ESC up front for easy access and put the receiver in the back away from the battery and stuff.

My 3S 5000 fits in nice and snug, I have another piece of plastic with foam on it that I slide in with my thinner batteries to keep things in place.

On the plate I made for the back I built in a little shelf to take advantage of that little bit of space between the interior hump, that's where I put my lighting controller.

All the servo/ESC/BEC wires route down one side through the firewall and the power/sensor wires route down the other side, I had to use servo extension wires to reach the receiver, the nice thing is where they connect is under that small section of wiring loom, I just pop off that section of loom and I have access to the connectors for programming, I marked the connectors so I know which is which.

I like things nice and clean...!
That's very nice and clean! I have a modified Radio Shack project box that seals all my electronics in up front, but I have some of that same plastic and am going to do something similar to your battery tray. How thick is your plastic and how did you bend it? Heat gun, hot water or?

I like the mounting tab with holes for hood screws too!

I've been reading around and it seems like toaster oven at 250F is the best way to heat and bend Kydex, I've been using heat gun, but it's kinda pita and don't want to get heat near other parts. So I'm going to make a shaped wooden block, heat kydex in old toaster oven, and then form it around the wooden block while wearing gloves.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-18-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Yea I used a heat gun, not the most efficiant way but it did the trick, had to make several go's at it as it cools fast so you need to reheat and keep bending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
That's very nice and clean! I have a modified Radio Shack project box that seals all my electronics in up front, but I have some of that same plastic and am going to do something similar to your battery tray. How thick is your plastic and how did you bend it? Heat gun, hot water or?

I like the mounting tab with holes for hood screws too!

I've been reading around and it seems like toaster oven at 250F is the best way to heat and bend Kydex, I've been using heat gun, but it's kinda pita and don't want to get heat near other parts. So I'm going to make a shaped wooden block, heat kydex in old toaster oven, and then form it around the wooden block while wearing gloves.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Thanks!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

I like this setup!
J_Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote

New build need help with motor/esc and stuff. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What should I build with the motor and esc off my summit? swezy207 Electronics 6 11-27-2011 05:33 PM
Help choosing motor/esc for build Ernie W Electronics 19 06-08-2011 03:14 PM