Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: new rear axle build HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default new rear axle build HELP!

ok so i finally got every thing i needed to do this got a new stock axle housing HD UD gears vp lockouts,truss,diff cover shock mounts fast eddy bearings FI locker beef tubes. got the diff all put together spins great. got the axles shaved down to fit in the beef tubes got the tubes in put the axles in still spins ok not as good as i like put on the lock outs and :flip off: not a very good spin at all???????

Last edited by wyomingcrawler; 07-08-2014 at 06:42 PM.
wyomingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #2

Default Re: new rear axle build HELP!

can you elaborate on "not very good spin at all" ? If it's slop you're referring to I think you may need to shim the bevel gear in the axle.
btango05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

sorry kind of new to all this. with just the diff gear and bevel gear in it spins very nice and smooth. stick the axles in still nice and smooth. put the bearing on slide the lockouts on do not put the screws in the lockouts nice spin is gone it will spin just not the way i think it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btango05 View Post
can you elaborate on "not very good spin at all" ? If it's slop you're referring to I think you may need to shim the bevel gear in the axle.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I wonder if the beef tubes are pushing on any of the bearings or if the screws for the lockouts are slightly too long and pushing on the axleshafts. That's my best guess without getting a good look at them
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Is their any chance that you got bit by the weird wide flange on one of the rear axles? The updated axles have a very thin lip on the diff end to allow the axle to slide a bit further into the differential carrier. This keeps the outer axle shaft bearings from being side-loaded when the lockout is bolted on.

You should pull the housing back down to bare and bolt the lockouts onto it. Verify that the axles is "true" by eye-balling down one side with a light on the other. All the visible circles from bearing lands, etc.., should be concentric. It's kind of disturbing how many of these wraith axles are bent right out of the package. Sometimes flipping the lockouts over, or side to side, will help reduce the tolerance stackup.

With your tight fitting lockers any bend in the housing will show up as a rough rotation as the axles try to wiggle in the locker. The stock setup is so sloppy that it somehow gets away with it.

Double check that the outer axle bearings fully seat into the lockouts.

Make sure the bolts for the lockouts aren't too long and slightly rubbing on the axle shafts.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

from what i can tell with the bearings and lockouts off the axles are not perfectly straight ???? and with the smaller opening on the beef tubes they are rubbing on it? screws are not to long it does the same thing with them in or out. wondering if i should just run it a bit and see what happens just hate to screw it up as it all was not cheap.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

just did what you said every thing looks ok. put it back together and instead of me pushing the axles in to the locker i let the bearings and lock outs do it. every thing spins great now but i think the first hard hit to the side of the wheel it will push the axle to far in I'm starting to think that its the axles hitting the beef tubes might just have to get rid of them????? i just liked the idea of a BP axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Is their any chance that you got bit by the weird wide flange on one of the rear axles? The updated axles have a very thin lip on the diff end to allow the axle to slide a bit further into the differential carrier. This keeps the outer axle shaft bearings from being side-loaded when the lockout is bolted on.

You should pull the housing back down to bare and bolt the lockouts onto it. Verify that the axles is "true" by eye-balling down one side with a light on the other. All the visible circles from bearing lands, etc.., should be concentric. It's kind of disturbing how many of these wraith axles are bent right out of the package. Sometimes flipping the lockouts over, or side to side, will help reduce the tolerance stackup.

With your tight fitting lockers any bend in the housing will show up as a rough rotation as the axles try to wiggle in the locker. The stock setup is so sloppy that it somehow gets away with it.

Double check that the outer axle bearings fully seat into the lockouts.

Make sure the bolts for the lockouts aren't too long and slightly rubbing on the axle shafts.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

On my SCX axles I had to counter sink the beef tube ends to make clearance for the axle.
Made a huge difference.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

ok so got it all together tightened everything up and still not good spin binds up:flip off: took the beef tubes out thinking that was the problem? nope same shit put the lockouts on and away goes the free spin. WTF have to stop for the night before i throw it out the window. HELP!!!!!!!:ev il:
Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

the diff gear does go on the short side of the axle ya?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingcrawler View Post
the diff gear does go on the short side of the axle ya?
Rear axle yes...front axle long side

Last edited by btango05; 07-08-2014 at 09:55 PM.
btango05 is offline   Reply With Quote

new rear axle build HELP! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rear axle bind on kit build northkona Axial Wraith 2 11-01-2011 07:16 AM
issues with rear axle build slegh Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 06-02-2008 08:57 AM