Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: gmade or proline shocks and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default gmade or proline shocks and why?

which is better and why exactly....price difference I see as well? I have seen both shocks just wondered what makes one better choice seeing as how they are likely both made in china anyways,,,,,,,,
driftah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: gmade or proline shocks and why?

Never ran prolines but i am running gmade piggybacks and i love them. Just cant beat how tunable they are i have them dialed in just right. Between adjusting preload on the coils and oil pressure in the reservoir you can set them up perfect for most any rig.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

^^^ What he said
Dirt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:45 AM   #4

Have been looking into shocks lately. I have alloy body stock shocks with lightest spring and 20 wt oil and like how it drives. I'm concerned proline or Gmade will be too stiff for crawling. I would like a little longer not shorter. Does standard springs fit on powerstrokes, might be an option.
Towjoe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

what makes the prolines so desirable then?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #6

Just after a smooth shock that doesn't leak.
Towjoe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

opinion >
Gmade the beginning too stiff always, even if you change the oil or springs and adjustment piggyback systems.
the car should be likely to be a lot of weight, so that action from the start ?!

I do not recommend gmade piggyback beginners, maybe beginners little hard build.
axsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I love gmade
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I don't have the piggyback version but I do have Gmade "zero" or whatever the hell they're called, they are pretty good shock.. My favorites are the proline, I believe I have 4 slash front shocks that proline makes.. They're pretty short somewhere around 90mm. In my opinion they are the best for, fast rigs, sidehilling, to eliminate body roll, and they are one tough ass shock. I can't speak about the assembly on pro lines, but I sure as hell can about the GMades , that makes for one fun 3 hour project I would really like to have some of the piggyback gmades.. But if I was going to pick one shock I would stay with the pro lines. I have big mind to death on several different rigs and still no leaks.
lowlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #10

I agree with Axsand on the build difficulty. I got an air bubble in the line b/w the reservoir and the shock body and that was nigh impossible to get the bushing back out lol. But the piggybacks made my wraith drive 100000000 times better! For the price I cannot recommend them enough. Just be prepared for the inevitable building difficulty.
A7000X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

ok prolines are double the price and I am an expert at shock building being in the rc world for 20 yrs....maybe try the gmades
Old 07-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlow View Post
I don't have the piggyback version but I do have Gmade "zero" or whatever the hell they're called, they are pretty good shock.. My favorites are the proline, I believe I have 4 slash front shocks that proline makes.. They're pretty short somewhere around 90mm. In my opinion they are the best for, fast rigs, sidehilling, to eliminate body roll, and they are one tough ass shock. I can't speak about the assembly on pro lines, but I sure as hell can about the GMades , that makes for one fun 3 hour project I would really like to have some of the piggyback gmades.. But if I was going to pick one shock I would stay with the pro lines. I have big mind to death on several different rigs and still no leaks.
I have gmade zeros on all three of my crawlers..it only took me 20 minutes to build all 4 shocks...i love them...nice shock for the money and no problems....what issues did you have?
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Proline shocks are the way to go, I run the gmade aeration shocks on my wraith and uhh..I'm not to happy with them. I've owned a set of gmade zero's for the last three years and they've been on three different rigs and there crap now (I'll be selling them). All in all, gmade is a waste of money in my opinion. I'd either recommend the Kings or the Prolines.

BTW the gmade zeros that I have leak really bad, don't even say to rebuild them because I have over the years and they still leak really bad. I'm selling them for about 15 bucks because I'm saving up for a Futaba 4pls for my G6 scx-10 build lol.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #14

I have the GMade XD Piggyback and so far I like them. The springs that came with the kit are a bit too stiff for my liking so I switched them for Axial gray. I thought the build quality was pretty good and the shock dampening is really good too.
A7000X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have both, g-mades on my portal bronco, and pro-lines on my Terra wraith. They are both good shocks and I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
HOWEVER, I do like the pro-line springs better. I run pro-line super soft springs on both rigs. The g-mades do leak a bit more but both shocks will leak a bit. If you're careful building the g-mades leaking should be minimal.
Slowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I ran both 103mm on both wraiths - Started out with PL's and now run the GM piggy backs. I just getter better over handling from the GM's. I do think the PL are better built though. Be nice if GM produced a full aluminum version of the GM Piggys.
Markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I just don't like the Gmades for these reasons:
- You have to build them
- They are too stiff
- They leak badly..even if rebuilt
- over-priced crap from china
- they suck above all.
Kings and prolines..all the way! gmade..you can kiss my a$$ lol.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I have both and always come back to the prolines. They never leak, stay smooth with easy low maintenance, and last forever. The Gmades are nice but both sets I have leak. One leaked from day one, the other within a few months. I have over 25 years of experience, build them right, use green slime, expensive shock tools, etc.. and they still leaked. I have had the prolines for 3 or 4 years and they still perform like new.
Beej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post
I have both and always come back to the prolines. They never leak, stay smooth with easy low maintenance, and last forever. The Gmades are nice but both sets I have leak. One leaked from day one, the other within a few months. I have over 25 years of experience, build them right, use green slime, expensive shock tools, etc.. and they still leaked. I have had the prolines for 3 or 4 years and they still perform like new.
Now this guy knows what he's talking about lol
Old 07-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

To each his own..but i have 3 sets of gmade zero shocks on my rigs without a single leak and i did not use any green slime.
20 minutes to build a set of 4 ... pretty damn easy...been on for quite awhile now...still no problems
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote