Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Kit Wraith front axle snapping sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Kit Wraith front axle snapping sound

I have noticed for a few days now that my kit version of the Wraith, makes a kind of snapping sound, and a shudder when under throttle and moving. Its got a HR steering link kit, and the kits universal jointed axles up front. The servo is a jr racing z9100t model. Getting a full 7.4 volts to it.

I purchased the kit new and several upgrades as well, and began building it early on this year. Its not ever given me any isues, and I clean and oil it after each trail run, and grease where needed. So I wouldnt think it is a diff gear going out, or gone out. It rotates without any issue or noises. And the c hubs and knuckles are in great shape. I keep this one very well maintained. Have too much invested to bash it around.

Is there something that would cause a shaft to work itself out partially when being driven and turning. Thats when it does what its doing. So makes me wonder if a shaft has come out of the diff far enough to bind up somehow and snap back in place when straight?

Im planning on taking the axle apart and looking to see what is the cause. But maybe someone on here has had a incident similar with a wraith in any form of it. If so let me know. Im not going to drive it out on a trail again until I get the problem figured out and fixed 100%. Wasnt there some deal about the dif cup not being deep enough on the wraith for the upgrade u joint shafts to fit properly? ? Or something like that. Just cant remember where itwas said or posted to go back and read up on what it was saying...just my luck. .
MikeMontgomery1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Kit Wraith front axle snapping sound

Its tough to tell, by your description. I'd check the gears. Check the axle, transmission, check your spur. Sometimes a rock gets into the teeth of the spur.
These are just my go-to checks. Wish I could be more specific help.
Seems like you are on the right track though.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

May be your axial locker has snapped it's tabs and is spinning in the diff case when you give it some stick.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Check for this. Seems fine with light throttle going straight, then drops to 2 or 3 wheel drive under power or turning.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Brass??? All the ones I have are dull silver coloured!! The little locating tabs at 12 and 6 snapped off of one of mine.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysmini View Post
Brass??? All the ones I have are dull silver coloured!! The little locating tabs at 12 and 6 snapped off of one of mine.
Not brass, they're that bronze colored pot metal crap.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote

Kit Wraith front axle snapping sound - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MIP front axle kit, anyone interested? transambill Axial Wraith 60 08-03-2013 08:13 AM
Narrowing front Wraith Axle for front of scx10 rusty577 Axial SCX-10 12 02-02-2013 10:30 PM
Strange clicking sound from front axle! HELP!!! b00st3d Venom Creeper 15 01-15-2010 10:06 PM
front steering linkage behind front axle kit? slip408 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 09-14-2008 01:16 AM