Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: front axle input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default front axle input

Driving the other day, the front end bound up. I opened up the front diff and this is what I have. Nothing looks broken but looks well worn. The splines are sharp.

Bearings appear to be good. I will try and replace if I can.
NOW, my main question is on the new gearing. I will likely go with the heavy duty. But I see they have a high and low gear set. I STRICTLY slow crawl. I am geared at the bottom with a 45T motor. I cant go fast if I wanted to. The say the faster gearing in the front will assist with crawling. To not have the rear torque under. Will a very slow rig be helped by this? Or should I stick with the stock gearing? Honestly, this Wraith crawls like a billygoat. Id hate to mess anything up, but I'm always looking for improvement.

Also, the HD locker? Really needed? Not even sure what is does, I have no wear inside my diff other than the teeth being worn. My universals also look fine.

*should I be using more grease? Never opened these before. I saw some pictures of other rigs and theyre almost filled with grease.
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #2

What do the crosses inside look like?

Locker/spool options are but not limited to:
HR spools
Locked up
Gripfab....he makes a heavy spool or a locker that uses a grub screw to clamp down on the axles.
I think most would agree that any of the choices above are better than stock...
Not sure about your gearing due to your uses...I don't know what others are doing as far as amounts of grease. I just take a glob of red sticky grease and rotate the pinion gear until I have a good amount on the gears...I don't pack the whole differential.

Last edited by btango05; 08-01-2014 at 04:25 PM.
btango05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: front axle input

Lockers look fine. ****SHIT!!! just noticed the tabs are broke and twisted. Not sure if they even get wear or just break. Is the stock plastic? This looks just like the Axial "HD" locker for sale online.

Ive crawled this thing pretty hard for the last 18 months. First time anything has really gone out. I want to keep it reliable

Last edited by Bansh88; 08-01-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

That's bone stock as they come & that's what they do, just fail.
Grab at least 1 of these for the front, though if you can do rear as well.
Locked up RC - FI Spool

And yes overdrive the front & underdrive rear will help it's climbing & turning (it certainly has in my scx10) just don't go doing a heap of high speed on high grip surfaces, tar & conc etc.

Last edited by altd896; 08-01-2014 at 07:22 PM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think I'll get that F1 spool. Just trying to decide on the gearing now. Maybe one more Thumbs Up for overdrive front?
Old 08-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
RCC Addict

One thing I forgot, while over/under gears will help climbing & turning, the overdrive gear set has the worst gear mesh of the 3 HD options. If durability is an issue maybe dodge them but they live fine in most comp crawlers, just not big power U4RC rigs.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm in the middle of checkout at Lockedup. Just checked in for any last second advice! Since my gears were pretty worn and it was still going awesome, i'll give the overdrive a shot. Like I said, I only crawl. Any very slowly.

Thanks for the help! Both you guys. Would have never checked my locker!

front axle input - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrowing front Wraith Axle for front of scx10 rusty577 Axial SCX-10 12 02-02-2013 10:30 PM
LNC front axle teardown/axle shaft removal guide? LowLock Team Losi Comp Crawler 1 05-22-2011 09:31 PM
front steering linkage behind front axle kit? slip408 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 09-14-2008 01:16 AM