Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Basic Question about Wraith for newbee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Default Basic Question about Wraith for newbee

Hi, RCcrawler

Im still newbee in adventure and crawling Rc. I have build a new Axial Wraith and i use my old ESC and Motor also Servo.

ESC: Xcar 120 A
Motor : 9T 4300KV
Servo : 9KG Turnigy.

I have some question to ask about this RC.

1. Is that my electronic are good or bad for crawling ?
2. How to set the shock oil? i use the stock 30w from axial and i put inside the shock until full. and i turn to stiff. how many should i use the oil? half? quarter or just for lubrication?
3. When the car stop because of the setting drag break, why my tear make a sound? how to prevent from getting flat gear?

what should i do for my first Rc Crawler especially My Wraith? i love that car so much.

Please Help Me

Thank You
Christanto_deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2014, 03:43 AM   #2

Default Re: Basic Question about Wraith for newbee

PLease help me
Old 08-05-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

In my opinion:
1. Too fast motor for crawling, might get away with super low gearing but I bet it will overheat. I'm running a 3300kv 4-pole in mine, before 35t brushed, both on 3S. If it's sensorless you'll quickly experience that it cogs badly. WAY too weak servo. Look for something 25+ kg, metal or titanium gear.
2. If the shocks are unable to compress fully you're having too much oil in them. Search/google for methods of bleeding them. I had zero luck with the stockers and replaced the with Traxxas Bigbores. 30wt is fine.
3. Don't understand what the problem is. Please tell more. Is there a grinding noise from the motor?

To do first? Look at Harley's topics, stickys on the top and this one: Harley's $50 Poison Spyder Wraith Budget Build
Really needed:
1. Steering linkages -> aluminum or titanium
2. Move battery up front
3. Try to lower it some, too high COG in my opinion
4. Take the rest as things breaks
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I agree with everything odd-m told you, the answer to your question lies in the threads just above this one. I will talk about suspension though. The Axial shocks that came in your kit are just fine for crawling, you just need more experience in setting them up, so back to the threads on shocks, then back to the workbench and try it, that's how you learn suspension. But before you buy new shocks, I would decide on the type of mounting system you are going to run. There are a lot of good shock mounts out there, also consider rear trailing arms, it will determine what length shock you will need. good luck
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Firstly, welcome aboard.

Secondly, pretty much EVERYTHING you need to know about the wraith is in these threads:

Wraith Beginners Guide
Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!
Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

just read the main sections to start with - the vast majority of everything you need is in the first few posts.

Personally speaking I think you have WAY too much power in that system. A 4300KV combination is likely to kill your drive train and it sounds like that's what you may of done.

If your going to stay with brushless then definately stay with sensored but look to go for a motor more in line with recommendations - something 3000 - 3500KV should see you right.
tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The thing is that reading all those might give an impression that it will fall apart just driving around on the floor. In my experience they are fairly durable stock (I got the kit version) with regular brushed motors, as long as you're going mental with them. I bought a LOT of upgrades which I intended to mount as the stock parts fell apart, but after a half year I haven't needed even one of them besides the steering linkages. I still run the hated stock drive shafts (slightly modified with two females and a floating male between) with one of the most powerfull 540-size motors around.

Just use it and see how it goes before you spend $300 on not needed upgrades.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I run a Mamba Max Pro with a 4000kv sensored motor. Works great.
I run a 56t spur and a 12t pinion. Crawls good and trails even better.
Use what you got, then you can know what you like / hate about it. That way you spend money only on what is necessary.
One recommendation I will give though, is with stock plastic drivetrain, turn down the punch control on the ESC. Also, I always run metal gears in my Trans. They go in when I build the kit, don't even bother with the plastic crap. Especially with that big ole brushless motor!
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #8

Thanks For all your replies, im considering it way to big to use 4300Kv i will need to change the motor also the ESC, but the thing is i still dont get people arguing in my local hobby about the brushed and brushless.

about the shock, i lower the amount of the oil inside and it looks pretty good, and shows very good action then before, but i found out now the link to the chassis is tear apart, now i should find a part for it before i go crawling again.

yep right im planning to change the servo too to 25Kg fleetech,

about moving the battery to font, is there any hop up? or just moving the placement? because i wont do the stupid things like before now my wraith sitting and waiting for new parts links.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If you are driving slow on trails and rocks, brushed motor is much cheaper. Cheaper ESC too
many sites have videos, step by steps to do oil.
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Suck it up!

That motor is way too fast.

That esc is actually a good one. I've been running one in my 1.9 Wraith with no issues, and one similar to it in my 2.2 Wraith with equal success. Neither are paired with sensored motors, neither are cog monsters. People knock it but have never tried it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, wraith

Basic Question about Wraith for newbee - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honcho Upgrades - Newbee Question sparrens Axial SCX-10 17 12-07-2012 11:43 AM
Stupid Newbee Question hasbeen Tamiya XC/CC01 8 01-12-2010 04:35 PM
newbee question dustin keeler Tamiya Clod Buster 3 06-16-2008 10:05 PM
Newbee Esc Question TIMZKRAWLER Electronics 6 06-15-2007 11:58 AM
help!...TLT newbee question lanzky1008 Newbie General 9 04-04-2007 08:49 PM