Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: How to save weight - the seats ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How to save weight - the seats ?

I'm very concerned by the weight of my Wraith which is close to 3Kg.
Don't know where to start to make it lighter because I don't have lots of metal on it. I remember I was very surprised by the heavy weight of the plastic chassis, but I think it is hard to replace plastic with something lighter. May be I can take away some unnecessary pieces; I'm afraid doing so I will weak the chassis, so it could be a bad idea.
I found out that the black seats are 55 gr each ! I removed the passenger one compensating for the added dig servo, I could take away the driver seat too, but I would definitely compromise the aesthetic look.

Can you point me towards some light Wraith, so I can borrow some solutions ?

Thanks
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: How to save weight - the seats ?

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve but I have added weight to my rig. It is in the 8lbs.9lbs range. I found it does better being a little heavy.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:28 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Heaviest individual item will probably be the battery pack (assuming you haven't loaded the wheels with weights, or running alloy rims) - you could save 100g., maybe more?, moving to a smaller capacity pack if you are currently using a high capacity hard case one.
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
20K Club

Being weight conscious is a good thing. A light weight truck will climb better if properly tuned, but tuning a light truck is also much more difficult. The things learned in the comp crawling work transfer directly over to scale.

Yes the stock seats are very heavy, some aluminum replacement seats cut a TON of weight and that weight also sits very high.

When I build my next Wraith, I'll likely go very weight conscious and see what I can achieve.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Being weight conscious is a good thing. A light weight truck will climb better if properly tuned, but tuning a light truck is also much more difficult. The things learned in the comp crawling work transfer directly over to scale.

Yes the stock seats are very heavy, some aluminum replacement seats cut a TON of weight and that weight also sits very high.

When I build my next Wraith, I'll likely go very weight conscious and see what I can achieve.

I can't wait to see what u build next
Stock seats gotta go to heavy!!!!!!!
Tuning truck is tricky but if done right and following any of Harley's builds on YouTube as a guide will help you greatly with understanding proper weight distribution on wraith
Personally my unsprung weight is is slightly heavier than what sits on my shocks
And heavier in the front makes it crawl much better
vicstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Suck it up!

I fed the seat backs to the belt sander and thinned them out quite a bit. The bottoms got carved out a bit on the underside. Noticeably lighter, though I never actually weighed them.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

we sell lightweight 15g seats for the wraith
Scale Accessories -

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've been thinking about casting the stock seats in a lighter compososite. I really everything about the stock seats besides the weight. The aluminum seats just don't look right in an off road rig.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
I've been thinking about casting the stock seats in a lighter compososite. I really everything about the stock seats besides the weight. The aluminum seats just don't look right in an off road rig.
I've thought along the same lines before. The stock seats are the most realistic off-road racing style seat. However, I can totally understand the move to aluminum seats in the name of performance. I've also wondered what a silicone casting of the stock seats would yeild, or if they would look like some Jell-O Jigglers sitting in the cockpit!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I always thought making seats out of closed cell foam would be realistic and super light.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote

How to save weight - the seats ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wheel weight vs knuckle or axle weight vs creative weight distribution tech712 Axial SCX-10 16 11-04-2014 01:04 PM
Suspension seats or just comfy seats (1:1) TLTCrawlin Chit Chat 5 04-08-2008 12:19 PM