Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Multiple motors getting hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Multiple motors getting hot

Hey all, so I just got my P.S. wraith almost ready to run last week. Came with everything but the esc. Otherwise it was new in box. Not a scratch anywhere. So since I'm a bit strapped and had a traxxas XL-5 laying around I figured I would throw it in there to start running. I know the stock gearing isn't the best for the motor and it will smoke it pretty quick. But the motor got almost to hot to touch in about 20 minutes of just running in the short grass in my back yard. I don't live close to the hobby shop so instead of re gearing I put my 55t integy motor in it that was in my f350 high lift. I have run it in there for years with no heat issues. Well about an hour of run time in the wraith with the stock gearing it was a scorching 160 F. I had to stop cause I could smell the motor. Again this was with the stock 80/20 gearing. Could this just be the problem? Or the esc? I'm kinda confused by it. Especially with the low turn motor. I thought for sure it wouldn't have the heat issue. If I re gear could I do 80/11 and go back to the stock motor?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon
bvitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Multiple motors getting hot

Gear ratio.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks. Didn't see that coming with the higher turn motor. So if I go back to the stock motor would the gearing in Harleys post give me good crawling speed but wheel spin to boot? A buddy of mine runs stock motor and 80/11. What do you recomend? Also I'm running rc4wd 2.2 rock crushers. Though i think they are the same diameter as stock. Any thoughts would be a great help. I haven't messed with gears since I was 13 racing my LXT triple X.

Brandon
Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Driving your rig through grass is nearly the equivalent of you trying to sprint through knee high water. Its hard work and makes things run hot.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvitale View Post
A buddy of mine runs stock motor and 80/11.
Pay attention: that gear ratio is not supported. At least you have to drill new holes in the motor plate, but you can have interferences between transmission and motor too. Look at the official gear ratio table in the Wraith instruction manual if you go stay with 48 pitch gears.

Bye
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Duuuuuude, I understand about the Grass thing. But I run my Traxxas Grave Digger in the grass for a full charge and it doesn't get over 120F. I just didn't expect it with the lower turn motor. But I guess it makes sense. As for the 80/11 my buddy is running. He bought his used and I guess he has a different spur and didn't realize it. So 84 tooth spur and a 14 to 18 tooth pinion? I want decent Crawability until I get my 35T motor.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Get an 87t Axial spur and a 16t pinion. Run and check temps and go from there.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have had my daughter wraith with the stock motor for over 4yrs. change the gearing to 87/14 and see how you like the speed. If you want to go alittle faster try a 15 or 16 pinion.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Driving your rig through grass is nearly the equivalent of you trying to sprint through knee high water. Its hard work and makes things run hot.
this is the best way i have heard this explained hah.
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Duuuuuude, I understand about the Grass thing. But I run my Traxxas Grave Digger in the grass for a full charge and it doesn't get over 120F. I just didn't expect it with the lower turn motor. But I guess it makes sense. As for the 80/11 my buddy is running. He bought his used and I guess he has a different spur and didn't realize it. So 84 tooth spur and a 14 to 18 tooth pinion? I want decent Crawability until I get my 35T motor.

Thanks,
Brandon
dont the grave digger have alot bigger wheels? and its only 2wd and not solid axle so its not dragging them through it.
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks Goodrich. I will give that a shot. I don't want a lot of speed. My crawlers before this went about 4 mph. So. If I can get some low end power without it binding up that will be great. Sounds like it's the best to start with.

Gunder. The digger has the same size tires but yes is if/irs. Why you gotta go talking sense like that. Guess I will swap em out next week when I'm back from vacation.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well about an hour of run time in the wraith with the stock gearing it was a scorching 160 F
Is that the hottest it got? It's on the upper end of max temp it should run at, but not scorching. Over 200 F is scorching!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote

Multiple motors getting hot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot motors!! help panama Axial SCX-10 7 02-22-2013 02:21 PM
motors getting hot is this bad? tombs Redcat Crawlers 8 04-06-2010 05:25 PM
motors getting hot stelerzman Duratrax Cliff Climber 3 11-10-2009 10:37 AM
motors getting hot? Rauto13 Newbie General 8 08-14-2009 10:27 PM
something cool for hot motors rckjeep Electronics 1 01-26-2005 01:13 PM