Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Beef Tubes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Wraith Beef Tubes?

So what is the preferred Beef Tube setup to run? front only? Front and rear? Im thinking both to keep things balanced as possible if I want to hit some sweet jumps but the main purpose of this rig is to crawl up rocks, small children, pets, etc.

My Wraith is in need of some help keeping the front wheels down, I have done battery forward mod and the only thing in the back is the receiver, shock/link mounts flipped, but still seems to flip backwards easily.

I have also been thinking about the Vanquish OCP axle housings, are they comparable in weight to standard Wraith housings with Beef Tubes?

Thanks
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wraith Beef Tubes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
but still seems to flip backwards easily.
Its just the nature of the beast, you can't put enough weight in the front end to compensate for high power battery packs. Its called throttle management, but most of us haven't heard of that Why don't you try changing the rear suspension geometry? This Duuuuuuude makes upper link risers that change the way your suspension reacts to loads. I have some on my SCX10 and it really makes a difference. Also try lengthening your rear links by about 10mm, just changing the rod ends can do this, good luck.
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Beef tubes do add weight but also keeps c hubs secure to diff housing when plastic or alum housings strip out(it will happen)!!!

You can do under drive gears in rear that helps on steep climbs as well.

Duuuuuude or supershafty.com will have the link risers mentioned above that puts suspension in a anti squat setup(rear axle rises)vs squat(rear axle squats).

Hope that helps you, it will help your rig do all these & helps tons!!!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info! I do have overdrive ring gear in the front and stock HD gearing in the rear, helped a bit but I think I'll try the beef tubes, a rear sway bar and some of Duuuuudes link risers, that should help a bit.

As far as throttle control I am running the Tekin Roc12 with the MMP and I have the throttle curve set really low in the 1st 50% of the throttle range and it will creep really slow and smooth, another issue might be the shock length, I'm running the King 110mm shocks and I get a ton of flex but with just the link/shock mounts flipped the CG may still be a bit too high.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice!!! A lil tuning will go a long ways...
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I recommend Beef Tubes, front and rear. You WILL strip the stock plastic housing without them!
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggin69 View Post
I recommend Beef Tubes, front and rear. You WILL strip the stock plastic housing without them!
Will beef tubes help this?

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Will beef tubes help this?
Yes, but anything will break if you beat it hard enough! BeefTubes are good stuff. I like throttle! What were you doing and what did you hit that bent inner axle and ripped the housing in two? Oh and thanks for the pic.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
So what is the preferred Beef Tube setup to run? front only? Front and rear? Im thinking both to keep things balanced as possible if I want to hit some sweet jumps but the main purpose of this rig is to crawl up rocks, small children, pets, etc.

My Wraith is in need of some help keeping the front wheels down, I have done battery forward mod and the only thing in the back is the receiver, shock/link mounts flipped, but still seems to flip backwards easily.

I have also been thinking about the Vanquish OCP axle housings, are they comparable in weight to standard Wraith housings with Beef Tubes?

Thanks
A balanced rig is good, don't want too much weight fore or aft. Suspension (shock oil, springs and positiion included) makes a big difference but it takes time to get it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
Beef tubes do add weight but also keeps c hubs secure to diff housing when plastic or alum housings strip out(it will happen)!!!

You can do under drive gears in rear that helps on steep climbs as well.

Duuuuuude or supershafty.com will have the link risers mentioned above that puts suspension in a anti squat setup(rear axle rises)vs squat(rear axle squats).

Hope that helps you, it will help your rig do all these & helps tons!!!
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
Nice!!! A lil tuning will go a long ways...
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggin69 View Post
Beeftubes are good stuff!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, but anything will break if you beat it hard enough! BeefTubes are good stuff. I like throttle! What were you doing and what did you hit that bent inner axle and ripped the housing in two? Oh and thanks for the pic.
Clipped a rock hidden in grass at about 20. Universal was brand new too

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ouch!! I recently ordered a set of beef tubes as well.. can't go wrong with extra strength for mounting those steering knuckles.. I consider that it's main benefit..
3stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Always tubes front and rear for me.
The may not have saved the housing, but probably would have saved the universal.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote