Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Questions about building a 1.9 wraith...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Questions about building a 1.9 wraith...

I've been searching through build threads and google image search drooling over all the 1.9 Wraiths. All the build threads I have browsed through not one person had anything bad to say about the conversion. Anybody do the conversion and then end up regretting it afterwards? I really want a "scale" rig. Something that I can look at and say, wow this thing look awesome! At first I was thinking buy a scx10 kit, throw my electronics in it and sell of the wraith chassis. But I really like the idea of the 1.9 wraith.

I don't have any experience building or customizing RC's so I'm kind of skeptical to jump in and start swapping out axles, and drivelines, making links and getting the servo clearance. I made a basic parts list of the stuff that seems pretty obvious...

scx10 axles
scx10 shocks
chassis mount kit from 3 racing or VP
4 link mount for rear axle
1.9 wheels and tires
custom length links (allthread and revo ends)

What about driveshafts? Would I be using scx10 shafts or cutting down my wraith shafts?

It all looks pretty simple...any underlying issues I should be aware of that may scare off a newbie?
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Questions about building a 1.9 wraith...

I used wraith shocks, left the servo on the axle, you can use wraith MIPS or SCX10 MIPS, depending on wheelbase you want.

the only issue i had is the steering is not as sharp as my regular wraith, but there are mods for that later..

I have 2 1.9 wraiths currently...they are great!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Don't need SCX10 shocks, Wraith shocks are fine, think you'll run out of up travel with housings hitting chassis with 90mm(3.5") shocks.

Don't need CMS, problem with CMS is your mixing & match part of a Wraith kit with part of an SCX10 kit so you'll have to buy both, then try to make them work, not that it can't/hasn't been done, but it might have some issues.
The issue with the housing mount servo is your limited in how far you can suck the front axle in before the servo hits part of the chassis in the front end.
I used a front 4 link plate that drops the servo down behind the housing along side the drive shaft, keeps it from hitting the chassis, doesn't have the travel limitations of CMS/panhard & hides it a bit out of view.

Mine steered good but I was using some spare 2.2Shafty housings that have had the wide XR10 mod done to the front so is a bit wider which helps keep the wheels out of the links & shocks.

Wraith drive shafts work without cutting depending on how much you shorten in, I only shortened my rear about 10mm(3/8")

I don't remember any other issues with fit up.

I didn't particularly like the long skid with the reduced ground clearance of the 1.9s versus the shortish skid in an SCX10.
Have since changed it back to AR60/2.2 rig but that will all change again when I rat those axles back out for a 2.2 U4 build & the SCX10 axles go back in for a 1.9 U4.

Last edited by altd896; 08-18-2014 at 07:57 PM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You could also narrow some wraith diffs like I did, it also helps to shorten the wheelbase at the front as well and you could cut the bottom off the chassis to raise the skid plate, I've done all these mods to mine and love it.
Heres a link 1.9 Wraith a bit different

Last edited by greenjk; 08-18-2014 at 11:04 PM.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I went the other way. Started with a wraith cage/body added SCX-10 transmission. Got a set of SCX-10 axels, ProLine Power Stroke Shcocks. Mounted the servo on the axel. borrowed a friends collection of SCX-10 links and mocked he rig up. Then I made My own links with Traxxas long ball ends. I used Wraith Drive shafts and have a nice little rig. Look for DrDiff952"s Weekend Warrior Wraith
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

you will not regret it at all! love it! they should make a kit for it!
Fatskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

What do you guys think is a good "scale" tire for the 1.9 Wraiths? I see a lot of people running the Super Swampers and also the Rock Beast. I really like the looks if the pitbull growler, but it seems a little wide.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

For both of my 1.9 wraiths i run the super swamper tsl's...to me...you just cant get a better tire for performance and scale looks!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Questions about building a 1.9 wraith... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jig building questions T.U.F.F. Tools, and Procedures 12 10-24-2011 07:09 PM
my first home building questions longboard552 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 11-27-2007 09:06 PM
frame building questions S10XtremeSR Tools, and Procedures 6 07-21-2007 09:43 AM
Building a tuber...few questions TxCruzr Newbie General 4 09-27-2006 06:44 PM
Building a clod, got questions! dell30rb Tamiya Clod Buster 6 12-29-2005 07:46 PM