Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: RIP: Wraith trans...input needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Default RIP: Wraith trans...input needed

Long story short: my Roc412 got its first taste of 3 cell power yesterday and less than two minutes into a tour of the parking lot, the trans died a horrible death. I understand the concept of "you need to pay to play", but I'm wondering if spending another $200+ on building a bulletproof trans is really necessary, or if anyone out there has has luck with a cheaper alternatives.

Thanks!
XS NOIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: RIP: Wraith trans...input needed

What died? The case split in half? Gears stripped? Upgrade what's broken and go at it again. Steel gears and the plastic case have been working for me.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

what do you mean by spend another 200? did you already have a ss tranny if so they have a lifetime warrenty on all bombproof parts and we want to see the carange lol....if not then yes its very worth it...you can buy the parts separte and come out a little cheaper...ive build two and owned 3 and ive absolutly loved them there awesome trannys that take the abuse and is a must have imo no matter what kinda system your running.....you gotta look at it 2 ways buy cheap now and have to upgraded again later on or spend the extra $$$ or proven parts and only have to keep up the maintence on them
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS NOIZ View Post
Long story short, Roc412, 3 cell power needs a bulletproof drivetrain
That is about it, unless you have phenomenal throttle control.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Long story short: my Roc412 got its first taste of 3 cell power yesterday and less than two minutes into a tour of the parking lot, the trans died a horrible death. I understand the concept of "you need to pay to play", but I'm wondering if spending another $200+ on building a bulletproof trans is really necessary, or if anyone out there has has luck with a cheaper alternatives.

Thanks!
mine is running the roc412 3100kv and 3s lipos, all I have done is replace the trans gears with the robinson racing steel gears and the robinson racing one piece bottom gear w/5mm outputs.

Yes, the one everyone says wont last lol...been that way for many many months with no issues with the trans.

also upgraded the driveshafts to MIP ones..fun to run and not one lick of problems..
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Thanks!
Need more info
littletoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

SS always says out of stock for bomb proof trans ect. Are they still available?
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
mine is running the roc412 3100kv and 3s lipos, all I have done is replace the trans gears with the robinson racing steel gears and the robinson racing one piece bottom gear w/5mm outputs.

Yes, the one everyone says wont last lol...been that way for many many months with no issues with the trans.

also upgraded the driveshafts to MIP ones..fun to run and not one lick of problems..
I was running those one piece gigs in two rigs and I'm convinced they're hit and miss. Bought two at same time, my lightweight exo wraith with 13.5 redline broke it while my pig of a wraith with roc412 is still rocking it. Its the only rig I got that is not rocking a ss trans and takes it like a champ. These Trannys are worth every penny. Built them with hr housings and been just as happy too
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Build the bombproof trans and be done with it. It's expensive but it's nice not to worry about breaking any part of it any more.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

I say "another $200" because after the currie axles + scale hubs, vanquish lockers, King Shocks, Roc412 3100kv motor, Ti links, aluminum wheels, r35 ripsaws, bearings, mmp esc plus all the other misc stuff, I'm ready to just start driving this thing and stop throwing money at it. It is, afterall, supposed to be the cheaper alternative to upgrading my 98 TJ.

*If I beat it up or drove it hard, then yes...things would be different, but so far I think I've been pretty responsible with my trigger finger.

edit: forgot to add MIP's to the list.

Last edited by XS NOIZ; 08-28-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I say "another $200" because after the currie axles + scale hubs, vanquish lockers, King Shocks, Roc412 3100kv motor, Ti links, aluminum wheels, r35 ripsaws, bearings, mmp esc plus all the other misc stuff, I'm ready to just start driving this thing and stop throwing money at it. It is, afterall, supposed to be the cheaper alternative to upgrading my 98 TJ.

*If I beat it up or drove it hard, then yes...things would be different, but so far I think I've been pretty responsible with my trigger finger.
in my honest option the stock axles hold up fairly well (ive ran some with mid upgrades on pro4 3300 3s no problem and have a set im gonna run pro4 4000 3s and there fairly upgraded maybe $250 in the whole set includeing the price of the axles) your truck looks awesome and should run the same...you took a different apporach then i would have and might shouldve thought it out more....like your gonna run a roc mmp combo on 3s should i go all scale and hope nothin happens (your apporch and ive seen alot of others go the same route) or should i beef up the drive train to take the power and see what $$$ i have left over (my apporch and what most builders plan out before hand)...these things function same as 1:1 you wouldnt throw a set of 10in drag radials on the back off a stock challeger rt with a turbo boosting 25+psi and expect it to make it the full 1/4 mile without blowing something, would you?...what im getting at is if anyone on this fourm that buys a set of curries should have done built everything need to handle power on there truck

Last edited by gsrcivic; 08-28-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Thanks!
A cheaper option most don't think about is the AX2 trans from RC4wd. It is an Al case with all hardened steel gears. Not sure if they made the HD lower output shaft standard, but it's only like $20.

Yes this trans is 2 speed, but you can lock it in 1 gear if you don't have the extra channel, or have a shifting mechanism that you initiate.

For about $105 on ebay new or $130 from a retailer, that's a good option.

I ran one with the HD output shaft and a 3500kv Pro4HD with no issues.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcivic View Post
in my honest option the stock axles hold up fairly well (ive ran some with mid upgrades on pro4 3300 3s no problem and have a set im gonna run pro4 4000 3s and there fairly upgraded maybe $250 in the whole set includeing the price of the axles) your truck looks awesome and should run the same...you took a different apporach then i would have and might shouldve thought it out more....like your gonna run a roc mmp combo on 3s should i go all scale and hope nothin happens (your apporch and ive seen alot of others go the same route) or should i beef up the drive train to take the power and see what $$$ i have left over (my apporch and what most builders plan out before hand)...these things function same as 1:1 you wouldnt throw a set of 10in drag radials on the back off a stock challeger rt with a turbo boosting 25+psi and expect it to make it the full 1/4 mile without blowing something, would you?...what im getting at is if anyone on this fourm that buys a set of curries should have done built everything need to handle power on there truck
My goal was to have a highly capable crawler that could also handle the occasional jump to 3 cell for romping around...it isn't something I was planning on doing with any real regularity. Now that I've gotten to this point, I just want to head out to my favorite spot and enjoy the darn thing...you know what I mean?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
My goal was to have a highly capable crawler that could also handle the occasional jump to 3 cell for romping around...it isn't something I was planning on doing with any real regularity. Now that I've gotten to this point, I just want to head out to my favorite spot and enjoy the darn thing...you know what I mean?
we all know what you mean lol i got about a grand in my build and its still in a million pieces i havent had a running rc in months but bills first then toys just build it how you like but bombproof is the only way for me
Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #15

My wraith has 3100 kv roc 412, MMP, rtr diff gears, 87 t plastic spur, standard slipper tightened, 17 t pinion, standard driveshafts with alloy rod glued in centre, vanquish links,steer, cms, knuckles c-hubs, front shafts, alloy trans gears and proline swampers with no breakages. The slipper does work and I do a lot of trail runs with a fair bit of crawling, all on 3s. Sits fairly low so it gets a fair bit of the old, if in doubt throttle out, and a few wheelies and backflips. Haven't had any issues with 9 months of 3 times a week running, regularly go out for a three hour run. I just don't hold it flat out when wheels are caught up or full lock steering in a tight spot.
Towjoe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjoe02 View Post
I just don't hold it flat out when wheels are caught up or full lock steering in a tight spot.
Towjoe is right...there's always got to be a pressure relief valve somewhere...so why not make it your slipper clutch? Robinson Racing makes a great slipper for the Axial trans. I devoted the first few runs of my new truck to tweaking-out problems in the custom build, including adjusting the slipper 'till it works right...but I still have all that other heavy duty stuff on my rig...so who cares?
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

edit: forgot to add MIP's to the list.
Umm if you already have put this much into it. Whats another $260 for the supershafty BP trans?
Z0MB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #18
RCC Addict

SuperShafty has Wraith parts to build a bombproof transmission in stock, like the 6mm outputs, one-piece motor plate, beefy top shaft, 32p 56T slipper gear...the Hot Racing gears you can get on them online and eBay...as of today, 11/8/2014
ussprinceton2004 is online now   Reply With Quote

RIP: Wraith trans...input needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
input needed adamargue General Crawlers 7 06-10-2010 10:25 AM
Input needed wrightcs77 Minnesota 9 04-27-2009 10:46 AM
your input needed. Crawler Noob Chit Chat 14 03-31-2007 11:05 PM
Your help/input is needed please freetimecrawler Chit Chat 23 04-25-2006 06:22 AM