Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: _M_urph's Project WraithRunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default _M_urph's Project WraithRunner

_m_urph's Project WraithRunner
Project began August 2014 with a slightly modified and very unused Axial Wraith Poison Spyder.

What it looked like when I received it:

Where it is now:
Untitled by ugamurph, on Flickr

Untitled by ugamurph, on Flickr

Specs:
Tekin RX8 ESC
Tekin ROC412 3100kv brushless
Hitec 7950TH steering servo
Gmade 103mm XD Piggyback shocks
Vanquish titanium suspension links
Front battery mod with modified stock battery tray
Hinged hood
Axial LED light kit
Custom metal stinger bumper
GMade Bighorn tires on Axial Trail Ready beadlocks
MIP splined driveshafts (#11116)
RC4WD aluminum steering link
Robinson Racing SuperTuff spur gear
Robinson Racing & Hot Racing metal transmission gears

Updated: 11/07/14

Last edited by _m_urph; 06-01-2015 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add content
_m_urph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: _M_urph's Project WraithRunner

Although I'm not new to the RC world or the crawling world, I am new to RC crawling. I started out in RCs when I bought my son a Traxxas Stampede which now looks like Grave Digger. I quickly learned that this was a hobby that I could have fun with too. I bought a used Traxxas Raptor (Slash) and started upgrading and improving it immediately.

My Traxxas Slash with several upgrades including the VXL brushless system and a Losi XXX-SCT body.

This is my 1:1 Toyota 4Runner that I enjoy wrenching on and trail riding in. Obviously I've done quite a bit to make it a very capable trail rig.

Scenic shot:

On the trail:

Is it Flexing Friday, yet?

So, after playing with the Slash for a while, I decided it was time to sell it and move on to something that offered a little bit of speed with more off road capability. Something that I could take on the real trails with me to play with during lunch stops.

I picked up a nearly new Axial Wraith Poison Spyder from a fellow down in Florida for what I thought was a fair price. He had done a few upgrades to it and changed out the PS body for a regular Wraith body painted white.

I liked the white color, but the Plastidip paint job looked better in pictures than real life. So I removed it. Underneath was the green Wraith panels some of which had been stripped. I haven't decided exactly what I want to do. I do have the unused PS Jeep body available, but I'm not much of a Jeep fan. I'll probably end up with an Ivan Stewart Toyota theme at some point. I found this while searching ideas. I'll end up with something similar, but not the same.

The Wraith came with an Integy bumper, Gearhead droop kit with 130mm aluminum shocks and 2 sets of springs. It has Gmade Bighorn tires mounted on black Axial Trail Ready beadlocks. It came with a Dinky roof panel with cutout for a light bar, but no light bar.. It did have the Axial LED light kit. Pretty much everything else was stock including the electronics.

The Integy bumper seemed to be built well, but it just wasn't my style. I removed it, sold it and installed the stock Wraith bumper modified as a stinger without light hoops.

Before:

After:

The previous owner had moved the battery up front and the electronics to the back. But, the fit and finish of those mods left a lot to be desired. The battery was just floating in the area in front of the windshield unsecured and the electronics were installed inside a poorly painted and cut up Dinky gas tank box. The wiring (including the LED control module) was wrapped in duct tape under the interior. I'm guessing it was a poor attempt at waterproofing.

To make a more secure battery forward mod, I cut and trimmed the stock battery tray to install up front. I mounted it with a single screw into the front support that originally held the ESC mount. I used one of the stock straps to keep the battery from moving. I was able to install a GensAce 5000 mAh 3S LiPo with no problem. I also worked on a better hood hinge system using P-style cable mounts.

Last edited by _m_urph; 09-28-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I ordered a fresh set of Axial body panels pulled from the kit version. I also started laying out the paint scheme in Adobe Illustrator. I plan to paint the colors and have all of the decals custom printed. All of the decals are of items I own & use or have some sort of personal meaning.

This picture shows a side by side comparison with the only difference being the size of the main Toyota sponsorship decal. I've decided to use the one on the bottom.

Last edited by _m_urph; 10-14-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Awesome! I like the Toyota theme. Any chance you have the illustrator file template on hand? I'd love to get a blank copy!
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks, Arctic Fire. I sent you a PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

After having to send off my new Tekin RX8 Gen2 for warranty work, I got it back. It's now installed in the back of the WraithRunner. I've got to tweak the settings and clean up the wiring. I'll eventually be running a Tekin ROC412 or Pro4. (Tekin offers excellent customer service.)

Yes, I know my fan is upside down. I was in a hurry and not paying attention.

It's fixed now...

Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

After seeing some of the Twizzler driveshafts others have experienced, I decided to attempt to strengthen the stock shafts. I followed some other's advice and added steel inside the hollow of the driveshaft. A thin layer of JBWeld will hopefully keep the driveshaft from twisting around the steel rod. It may not be a permanent fix, but it'll do for now.

I cut some M6 hex bolts to use in the hollow of the male section. I used the free float method with two female ends attached to the CV joints and had a male end free floating between. It's just like the new "wild boar" WB8 shafts that Axial makes now.

Edit: This actually worked. The driveshaft doesn't twist around the steel rod. But, it magnified the problem with metal teeth on the CV joints engaging the plastic on the shaft. The rear driveshaft came apart there.

Last edited by _m_urph; 11-04-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Well that happened a little faster than expected. After installing the Tekin RX8 earlier this week, I'll be switching to brushless next week. I found a good deal on a barely used Tekin ROC412 3100kv motor. I couldn't pass it up.

Pictures and performance reviews to come. I guess busted gears may be next on my list too.

Last edited by _m_urph; 11-04-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I received the Tekin ROC412 3100kv today and installed it. Let me just say... LOVE IT!!

Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I wonder how the roc412 compares to the pro4....
Jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwill View Post
I wonder how the roc412 compares to the pro4....

I've actually wondered the same thing. I was leaning toward the Pro4, but found a great deal on a slightly used ROC412 that I couldn't pass up.

From the Tekin website:

The long anticipated ROC 412 Brushless crawler motors from Tekin are now available! Designed specifically for rock crawlers and scale trail rigs, the ROC 412 boasts the proven 4-pole 12-slot sensored motor design from the popular T8 and PRO4 series motors. Some special tweaks have been made to produce a powerplant capable of pushing your G6 trail ride or competition crawler to maximum performance. Grab a ROC 412 today for the ultimate in rock-crushing, axle-snapping power.

I can already vouch for the "axle snapping power." I wonder what the special tweaks are. I've heard it has a little better low end torque and control than the Pro4.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

My stock Axial servo started acting up this week, so I ordered a Hitec HS7950TH servo. Quite a bit more torque. Can't wait to install and run it.

I also need to order universals ASAP. One of the stock dogbone axles snapped when the WraithRunner took a tumble earlier this week.

Last edited by _m_urph; 10-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I've got a set of Axial universal axles on the way. I'll be back up and running by the end of the week.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I got tired of the bare cage look while I work on my new paint and finding a custom decal source. So, I painted the outside of the old panels satin black and added a few stickers.

Last edited by _m_urph; 10-27-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I'm waiting on a couple of more parts and I'll be back on the trail. I installed the Hitec 7950TH but need a new servo horn. Also waiting on the universal axles to arrive.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #16

Looks good though, even with the makeshift 'work in progress' panels!
Odinthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinthor View Post
Looks good though, even with the makeshift 'work in progress' panels!

Thanks. I really like the all black look. I'll probably end up using those when I know I'm going to be a little more rough on the Wraith. The Toyota scheme may be the "shelf queen" show look. ;)
Old 11-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

I had to do some tweakin' on the WraithRunner tonight. The solder tabs and wire were pushing the interior up under the passenger seat when installed. So, I rotated the motor so the tabs would be more toward the transmission and fit inside the center interior hump.

I also had a shock cap leaking. Took it apart and put it back together. Fixed for now. I'll probably look into better shocks soon. The Axial plastic shocks don't seem to be too great.

There was a Gearhead droop kit installed on the Wraith when I bought it. It also had 130mm shocks. They were too long for my taste, so I removed the shocks and droop and sold them. But, my hood was left with some big ugly holes. I fixed that tonight by gluing some screen mesh to make them more aesthetically appealing.

I also installed the Axial universal axles and the Hitec 7950TH servo. The axles provide much improved turning radius over the stock dogbones. The 7950 is super strong nearly 3x the torque of the stock servo. I picked up an Axial servo horn for the Hitec from the LHS. Unfortunately they didn't have a cheaper option. Those little suckers are expensive.

Last edited by _m_urph; 11-04-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Did you not like that particular droop kit or want none at all?
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall046 View Post
Did you not like that particular droop kit or want none at all?

I liked it. Probably should've kept it. What I didn't like was the 130mm long shocks that the previous owner had installed. They were too long. Since I was just installing the stock shocks, I took the droop kit off and sold it.

_M_urph's Project WraithRunner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire project for pede project Mdlopez1 Non Crawler RC's 2 04-21-2013 06:30 PM