Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Bevel gear replacement/upgrade ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Bevel gear replacement/upgrade ?'s

So I just ordered some grip fab lockers for my wraith. Die laughing suggested I upgrade the bevel gears to the axial hardened steel bevel gears. I was reading that the 36/14 set will give you a little more top speed where the 43/14 set will give you some more low end. First is that correct? Second would I want to run the same set in both the front and rear? I have not run my wraith yet. Bought as a roller and upgrading everything pretty much. I already have the power combo. I'll be running a gen1 rx8 paired with a tekin roc 3100kv motor. If I need to provide more info to help anyone answer my question Lmk.

My thought was to go with the 36/14 set front and rear to give me some more top end speed since the roc 3100 is a crawling motor and will probably have enough low end torque?

Last edited by CoreyM; 09-19-2014 at 11:36 AM.
CoreyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bevel gear replacement/upgrade ?'s

What you are suggesting can be accomplished with a bigger pinion. Also by going with underdrive gearing (43/13) instead both front and rear will be best for durability from a gear mesh standpoint.

I however like the different ratios, overdrive (36/14) front and underdrive (43/13) rear.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #3

I know I can change the pinion for more speed. But needing to replace the gears anyway with steel I figured why not change the gearing ratio as well. Could you explain why you like and the benefits of going different front and rear? I was under the assumption (lol) that you would want the same ratio front and rear. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

Overdrive (36/14) in the front and Underdrive (43/13) in the rear will improve turning radius and help to not flip you over on steep inclines.
I ran this combo in all my Axial rigs till recently. I still run it on my SCX10 axled rigs.

I've been having problems blowing bearings and or slipping the gear mesh in the front OD AR60 axle... part of that is from powering out of binds that would destroy non-beefed up drivelines.
I now run the stock ratio HD gear (38/13) in the front and the UD in the rear.

Please keep in mind that this truck is around 10 lbs and pushed very hard on 3s with a Pro4 4000.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 09-19-2014 at 12:45 PM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

So which gear set has the best mesh, IE is one more reliable than another?
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

43/13 will give the best mesh.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #7

Any other thoughts on this by people who have changed there bevel gears?
Old 09-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

In my u4 rig I'm gonna be running under drive f/r to have the best gear mesh.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Mine runs overs front and unders in the back.
I just recently destroyed the under drive set of gears with the better mesh in a GCM metal head axle housing
because the internal pinion bearing disintegrated. (doesn't matter how good the mesh is when that happens.)
High quality bearings like ceramic are just as important in my opinion.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #10

So is this correct 38/13 is stock, 36-14 overdrive, 43/13 under drive?

I'm just gonna be bashing with some rock climbing and trail driving. Poison spider with tekin roc 3100kv, rx8, robinson racing gears in the tranny, still running 48p.

Looking for the best combo to run in my diffs for this setup.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yes that's correct.

You may want to switch to 32p spur/pinion for durability.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I'd get a rrp 32p slipper.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
stk

For my non dedicated crawler I chose to run stock ratio front and underdrive rear. This was chosen to tighten up my turn radius. The area in which I run has lots of turns and some crawling. If I were going to hit a bike trail with the potential to drive a couple miles I would match the gears up to reduce drivetrain stress.. Where do you plan on bashing?
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #14

I pan on going to the rr 32p sur/slipper. Just waiting for the supershafty top shaft to come back in stock. I'll be crawling in local rock piles and trails. Nothing competitive or organized in my area.

My first thought was to put overdrive in both diffs for a little more top end. But rather then put that much stress on everything I'm thinking of keeping the rear diff gearing stock and going with the under drive in the front. Then I can adjust the pinion if I need a little more top end? Sound like a good idea?
Old 09-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
I pan on going to the rr 32p sur/slipper. Just waiting for the supershafty top shaft to come back in stock. I'll be crawling in local rock piles and trails. Nothing competitive or organized in my area.

My first thought was to put overdrive in both diffs for a little more top end. But rather then put that much stress on everything I'm thinking of keeping the rear diff gearing stock and going with the under drive in the front. Then I can adjust the pinion if I need a little more top end? Sound like a good idea?
NO, you don't want stock in rear and under's in the front. Not a good idea at all.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Never under drive the front so it's slower then the rear. Itl suck. Either always the same or rear going slow er.

I get about the same mileage on all gears we there the heavy duty sets or the stock ones.

I do see hit racing gears come apart sooner.

I shim my pinions with a properly set up pi ion you will get good life out if any gear set. I'm old school and wouldn't change some to that's not broken. Shim the stock gears and run it.

I run high power 2-3 moths if I'm running in sand with high voltage. I've blown hit racing gears in a matter of seconds after installing.

If I'm crawling longevity is greatly increase. I'm current stock front and under drive rear.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

If you're going to keep the same ratio front and rear, it doesn't matter much which ratio you pick, as you could just accomplish the same thing with pinions. The real opportunity is to run a taller gear in front than in the rear for better crawling going up or down, and for a better turning radius. I tried OD front and UD rear and found it to be a bit too much of a difference b/t front and rear for my tastes on hard flat surfaces (it got squirrelly at higher speeds). I switched to the stock ratio HD in front and UD in the rear and love it. Much better in the rocks than running the same ratio in both axles, and still works fine on trails at speed. And it's been very durable being run hard on a ROC 412 3100 on 3s.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Bevel gear replacement/upgrade ?'s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to Upgrade Bevel Gears Next... alexchen86 Axial Wraith 14 07-15-2014 11:01 AM
why do I keep destroying axial upgrade hardened hd bevel gear sets? gutsploder Axial Wraith 17 03-05-2014 02:34 PM
Bad Mesh on bevel gear and diff gear out of the box? Elliott000 Axial SCX-10 3 08-19-2011 06:37 PM