Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Hot and weak wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #1

Default Hot and weak wraith

Hi

When I crawl hard and long my wraith looses power (gets weaker doesnt cut out, its as if the battery is empty when I change the battery still the same. And my motor and ESC is hot as hell. My friend scorpion crawls at the same place same time and its cool.

When I leave it for a while and everything is cooled down then the car is back to normal.

My setup is

Diffs 13/38
Pinion and spur 16/87
Esc Axial AE2
Motor Axial 27t brushed
Battaries 2s lipo
Wheels 2.2 Proline Chisel

If I understand Harleys threads correct my setup is right for what I want to do with my wraith, just crawl and enough speed to get up a hill.

Please help me.
Magrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Hot and weak wraith

Well you're gearing looks pretty good.

Check the spur/pinion mesh - if its too tight with will heat/overheat the motor.

Slipper clutch - if its slipping it will make the motor work harder for forward traction - tighten the nut either right down, or for a little safety in the drivetrain tighten it fully and back off 1/3rd of a turn.

Other than that it could be restrictions in the drivetrain - heavy auto grease in the diffs won;t help, partly seized bearings, overtightened wheels etc etc Its a case of just workign your way throguh it - spin each wheel by hand off the ground to feel for any roughness or tightness.
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymon View Post
spin each wheel by hand off the ground to feel for any roughness or tightness.
After you open the spur/pinion mesh or remove either in order to free the entire drive train from the motor.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you want to do extended stressful crawling with a cheap sealed can then your going to have to gear lower.

Yeah, it sucks to loose what little wheelspeed you have, but it's going to be the most effective way at lowering the temps of your motor/esc.

Truth is, the Castle-based ESC can probably take the heat. It's just working hard because the motor is working hard. Motors tend to not take kindly to overheating. Anything above about 160*F can cause permanent damage to the motor.

I had to run 12/87 gearing with various cheap 27 turn motors to keep them from practically melting on the rocks. If I was woods bashing/trailing I could get away with the same 16/87 that you are running.

What is your friends scorpion geared at? IIRC mine came geared stock at 87/14 and it is a lighter smaller truck than a Wraith.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'd check for binding as well, make sure all bearings are spinning smoothly and not seizing up.

I run 87/18 on a stock 20T (2S lipo) and it can take a lot of abuse without getting out of control temperature wise.
3stage is offline   Reply With Quote

Hot and weak wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Wraith Project Robny Axial Wraith 7 12-15-2013 12:03 AM
Hot Wraith Tiger 88 Axial Wraith 12 06-30-2013 01:56 PM
my wraith reverse is slow and weak.. gordesky1 Axial Wraith 2 12-04-2012 04:11 PM
How Hot Are You Running Your Wraith? alexchen86 Axial Wraith 6 04-16-2012 09:06 AM
Totally hot, hot, hot Melons inside! hvydty1 Chit Chat 6 06-03-2009 08:48 PM