Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's Second Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default bilinvic's Second Wraith Build

After owning my RTR Wraith for a couple years with what seems like an endless list of mods, I decided to build another Wraith, this time using the kit version since I had quite a few aftermarket parts not being used. This Wraith is for my 7 year old son. He has been using an AX10 Deadbolt and it crawls pretty darned good, but not as good as my Wraith, plus he said it was too slow!

I’m not going to give this Wraith a fastback mod because I like the look of both roof line styles, so one of each will be good!

I ordered up the kit and a bunch of mods from RPP. With my Wraith, it’s always been run it, modify it, run it, modify it....so this time I thought I would do pretty much everything from the beginning. It was a very enjoyable build having all the hop-up parts on hand and bolting them up as the build progressed. When I build another RC, this is the way I want to do it again. I have learned an exceptional amount from my Wraith and the vast knowledge shared on RCCrawler which resulted in this Wraith being built exactly how I would want it….except it’s for my son!

Here’s the specs:

Motor – Tekin Pro4 4000 kV
ESC – Tekin RX8 v2 w/ Hotwire
Servo – HiTec HS-7955TG w/ Axial Aluminum Servo Horn
Castle Creations BEC
Axial Simple LED Controller w/LED lights (4 white and 2 red); I used the two large rectangular light buckets for the “headlights” instead of the round ones to make it different from mine.

Transmission / Driveline:
Axial 5mm 13t 32p Pinion
Axial Wraith transmission converted to use the new Axial dual slipper 56t 32p spur gear;
Robinson Racing One Piece Steel Bottom Diff Gear
Hot Racing Hard Steel Upper and Middle Gears
MIP Axles
Vanquish Wraith Stage 1 Kit; Orange
Vanquish Wraith Shock Link Mounts; Grey (all four)
Vanquish Wraith Axle Truss; Black (front and rear)
Axial Universal Joint Axles (comes in kit version)
Beef Tubes (front axle only)
Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set; 38t/13t (front)
Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set; 43t/13t (rear)
Vanquish Wraith Titanium 3/16 Drag Link
Vanquish Products Wraith Ackermann Titanium Tie Rod (I purchased the tie rod intended for the long Ackerman Arms and therefore, it will not work until I order the parts required, luckily I had a spare aluminum tie rod that will work for now)
AMF Racing Aluminum Axial Wraith Differential Protectors
Modified Stock Lockers; The inner metal “locker” was JB Welded into the outer plastic carrier and blue Loctite was used to secure the axles. In the rare circumstance that this will fail, they will be replaced with Locked-Up FI Spools.
Gear Head 2.2 Five Star EZ-Loc Aluminum Beadlock Wheels
Pit Bull 2.2 Rock Beast II Komp Kompound Tires
Pit Bull Foams, Dos Piezas 2.2 Kompilation Dual Duro
Axial Aluminum Lower Suspension Links (comes in kit version)
Axial Aluminum Upper Suspension Links
Using stock shocks for now, but I do have a full set of GMade 103mm XD Piggybacks that I may end up using.

Misc.:
Body – Purchased a new Poison Spyder body from a fellow RCCrawler Member
Traxxas Battery Hold-down Kit x 2; for the hood posts and clips. (part # 3727)
Fabricated a rear floor from Lexan to mount the ESC
Painted the rear floor and interior with Tamiya PS-41 Bright Silver followed up with Tamiya PS-1 for the backer
RC Screwz Stainless Steel Hardware Kit
Front Battery Mount / Rear ESC Conversion; Battery tray fabricated from ABS sheet

That’s it for now….just waiting for the body to arrive to finish ‘er up.
I’m looking forward to trying out the Tekin RX8 v2 ESC, this is the first one I have owned. I’m using a Tekin ROC 412 3100 kV motor and MMP in my own Wraith. So far, I have found that the Castle Creations software is much more user friendly than the Tekin Hotwire software. I will use 13t pinion as a baseline and go up or down in teeth as required.
On to the pics…..

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-23-2014 at 08:01 PM.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's Second Wraith Build

Couple more pics....

Old 09-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Nice rig. Who makes you diff protectors? Looking sweet.
CoreyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanxs.

AMF Racing Aluminum Axial Wraith Differential Protectors. I bought them directly from AMF, but RPP carries this line now.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Nice looking rig!
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Awesome looking rig.....if u ever need another son to build stuff for lmk lol
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcivic View Post
Awesome looking rig.....if u ever need another son to build stuff for lmk lol
Trust me, four sons is enough for me! Thanxs for the offer though!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
After owning my RTR Wraith for a couple years with what seems like an endless list of mods, I decided to build another Wraith, this time using the kit version since I had quite a few aftermarket parts not being used. This Wraith is for my 7 year old son. He has been using an AX10 Deadbolt and it crawls pretty darned good, but not as good as my Wraith, plus he said it was too slow!

I’m not going to give this Wraith a fastback mod because I like the look of both roof line styles, so one of each will be good!

I ordered up the kit and a bunch of mods from RPP. With my Wraith, it’s always been run it, modify it, run it, modify it....so this time I thought I would do pretty much everything from the beginning. It was a very enjoyable build having all the hop-up parts on hand and bolting them up as the build progressed. When I build another RC, this is the way I want to do it again. I have learned an exceptional amount from my Wraith and the vast knowledge shared on RCCrawler which resulted in this Wraith being built exactly how I would want it….except it’s for my son!

Here’s the specs:

Motor – Tekin Pro4 4000 kV
ESC – Tekin RX8 v2 w/ Hotwire
Servo – HiTec HS-7955TG w/ Axial Aluminum Servo Horn
Castle Creations BEC
Axial Simple LED Controller w/LED lights (4 white and 2 red); I used the two large rectangular light buckets for the “headlights” instead of the round ones to make it different from mine.

Transmission / Driveline:
Axial 5mm 13t 32p Pinion
Axial Wraith transmission converted to use the new Axial dual slipper 56t 32p spur gear;
Robinson Racing One Piece Steel Bottom Diff Gear
Hot Racing Hard Steel Upper and Middle Gears
MIP Axles
Vanquish Wraith Stage 1 Kit; Orange
Vanquish Wraith Shock Link Mounts; Grey (all four)
Vanquish Wraith Axle Truss; Black (front and rear)
Axial Universal Joint Axles (comes in kit version)
Beef Tubes (front axle only)
Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set; 38t/13t (front)
Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set; 43t/13t (rear)
Vanquish Wraith Titanium 3/16 Drag Link
Vanquish Products Wraith Ackermann Titanium Tie Rod (I purchased the tie rod intended for the long Ackerman Arms and therefore, it will not work until I order the parts required, luckily I had a spare aluminum tie rod that will work for now)
AMF Racing Aluminum Axial Wraith Differential Protectors
Modified Stock Lockers; The inner metal “locker” was JB Welded into the outer plastic carrier and blue Loctite was used to secure the axles. In the rare circumstance that this will fail, they will be replaced with Locked-Up FI Spools.
Gear Head 2.2 Five Star EZ-Loc Aluminum Beadlock Wheels
Pit Bull 2.2 Rock Beast II Komp Kompound Tires
Pit Bull Foams, Dos Piezas 2.2 Kompilation Dual Duro
Axial Aluminum Lower Suspension Links (comes in kit version)
Axial Aluminum Upper Suspension Links
Using stock shocks for now, but I do have a full set of GMade 103mm XD Piggybacks that I may end up using.

Misc.:
Body – Purchased a new Poison Spyder body from a fellow RCCrawler Member
Traxxas Battery Hold-down Kit x 2; for the hood posts and clips. (part # 3727)
Fabricated a rear floor from Lexan to mount the ESC
Painted the rear floor and interior with Tamiya PS-41 Bright Silver followed up with Tamiya PS-1 for the backer
RC Screwz Stainless Steel Hardware Kit
Front Battery Mount / Rear ESC Conversion; Battery tray fabricated from ABS sheet

That’s it for now….just waiting for the body to arrive to finish ‘er up.
I’m looking forward to trying out the Tekin RX8 v2 ESC, this is the first one I have owned. I’m using a Tekin ROC 412 3100 kV motor and MMP in my own Wraith. So far, I have found that the Castle Creations software is much more user friendly than the Tekin Hotwire software. I will use 13t pinion as a baseline and go up or down in teeth as required.
On to the pics…..

The RCC member that sold you the new Poison Spyder body has to be a heck of a nice guy!!! LOL!!

Very nice rig!!! Can't wait to see that body on it!!!

Sent from my modded TI-83 plus.
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yes, that RCC member is a good guy!!! I showed my son the body and he said he wasn't very fond of it....we'll see what he thinks when it's installed. I'll have to do the hood mod because the battery is up front. If he doesn't like it, I may use it on mine because I've always like the Poison Spyder body and colour scheme. I have the kit version clear body that I can custom paint for him.

Thanxs for the tracking # today 2-shot
Old 10-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I received the new Poison Spyder body. With the battery mount location up front under the hood, I had to come up with a simple method to get access to the battery without having to unscrew all the body screws, especially out on the trail. I wasn't particularly fond of cutting the hood section off so I came up with the idea of using the Traxxas "battery hold-down plate w/ metal posts" kit. I use two of these kits (four posts) for my Wraith hood and it works extremely well. With some testing, I came to the conclusion that using the two lower holes would be the best placement for the pins. The pins have 4mm threaded sections; I tapped the lower frame holes with a 4mm fitting and simply screwed them in, two per side. I enlarged the holes on the body for the pins to slide through......and voila, it's done. Even with just the four posts holding the complete body, it's extremely strong and I can lift the whole 8 lb buggy from the front hood.

I covered the antenna hole on the hood with the Axial sticker, replaced the BF Goodrich decal over the front wheels with Pitbull stickers and removed the stock tail light stickers because I had functioning tail lights already.

I also have the four headlights up front; with the limited wiring length between the bumper mounted lights and the frame mounted rectangular "headlights", I decided to turn the headlights into rock lights. I relocated the lights to the forward hood mount screw holes, added a spacer to get the lights lower and aimed them slightly rearward. I don't crawl at night, so it's purely cosmetic and looks kinda cool.

What's important is that my son loves this body....which is big relief.

Not much left to do now; still have to get a VP titanium steering link, a 55mm aluminum Axial spacer (brace) for the rear shock towers and possibly rebuild the G-Made XD Piggyback shocks that I used to have on my Wraith.

Anyhow, here's the pics of Wraith #2 followed up by a couple of pics of both Wraiths together.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I spent the weekend over on Saturna Island (Southern Gulf Islands in British Columbia) and of course, brought over the two Wraiths. This was the inaugural run for the Poison Spyder Wraith. In low tide, the rock formations on the beaches were incredible for climbing and my son and I had a great time breaking in his new machine, which ran flawlessly. I'm kinda pissed that it's faster than mine! (4000 kV on 2S vs. 3100 kV on 3S). After each session of crawling, I pretty much sprayed down the whole drivetrain with WD40 to prevent the saltwater from doing it's damage. Now that we are home and I have time to look closely at them, the WD40 did a great job of fighting the rust.

Here's some pics....

Old 10-14-2014, 05:39 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I spent the weekend over on Saturna Island (Southern Gulf Islands in British Columbia) and of course, brought over the two Wraiths. This was the inaugural run for the Poison Spyder Wraith. In low tide, the rock formations on the beaches were incredible for climbing and my son and I had a great time breaking in his new machine, which ran flawlessly. I'm kinda pissed that it's faster than mine! (4000 kV on 2S vs. 3100 kV on 3S). After each session of crawling, I pretty much sprayed down the whole drivetrain with WD40 to prevent the saltwater from doing it's damage. Now that we are home and I have time to look closely at them, the WD40 did a great job of fighting the rust.

Here's some pics....

Both rigs look great!! Good job on the builds!!!

Sent from my modded TI-83 plus.
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote

bilinvic's Second Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler bilinvic Axial Wraith 449 02-26-2022 07:04 AM
bilinvic's F250 Truggy Build Thread bilinvic Axial SCX-10 56 04-02-2015 02:40 PM
My new Wraith build !!! RCRockstar Axial Wraith 9 01-31-2012 11:27 PM