Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: wraith info please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default wraith info please

interested in selling my scx10 and getting a wraith over a yeti .. just bored now with the scx10 .. it was great but want better ..
I know the wraith out handles and climbs better ..but how much better ?
and If I want to go from 2.2 to 1.9 every now and then will a wraith 1.9 still out handle a scx10{of same mods and condition} ?
can you still fit a good size lipo in them?
would my 21t brushed motor and sv3 on 3s still be a good platform?
finally should I go rtr or kit right off the bat {I do love the led's lol}

thanks so much guys in advance
going2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: wraith info please

oh I mainly do creek and trail crawling with some bashing in there and alittle rock crawling .. not really any high speed bashing .. but a lot of mud and river conditions
Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
20K Club

1.9's on Wraith axles looks ridiculous, they are much too wide.

As for crawling ability... that's not really a question you can ask quantitatively. The Wraith has a longer wheelbase and runs larger tires stock. So you are going to be able to reach ledges and things like that better.

As for mud and crossings, taller tires is going to give better clearance. But mud is mud and it all sucks.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have both an AR60 equipt 4x4x4 Wraith and a SCX-10 equipt 1.9 wraith. Both are fun in different ways.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have seen in the wraith section some 1.9 guys that have made them look great .. I assume there is an exle shortening kit I am un aware of .. and I have just outgrown the scx10 ability .. we have larger obstacle that it just disnt handle as smooth
thanks for info so far
Old 10-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

what was your main issues with the scx10, i was thinking of getting one just to have another crawler around...
Geck0Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

nothing real bad .. for the look I wanted .. dosnt fit the handling of the chassis .. I have the g6 kit .with tsl super swampers xl{the big ones } and gear heads lift kit .. looks amazing .. love it .. but top heavy and sloppy .. I have over 900 in this thing .. and it does the crawl very well.. but not in grand scale .. and you have to kinda go outside the realm of realism a lot to achieve some challenges ... witch takes out a lot of the fun for me sometimes
Old 10-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I'm going to say, from what I've seen out trailing & comping, most guys don't actually have issues with the way their truck handles, they have issues of the terrain being too big or too small for the truck.
going2fast summed it up perfectly "we have larger obstacle that it just disnt handle as smooth "

I've seen guys say they don't like 2.2 scalers, it's too easy there's no challenge, to me that just says the trails/rocks in their area are on the smallish side & sure in that case an SCX10 sized rig is probably more up their alley.
But the reverse is true also, I've seen 2.2 rigs getting up stuff that an 1.9 rig would be stumped at, it's purely horses for courses as to which rig you run where.

I've got some places I go when I want to drive my Wraith that I don't bother taking my SCX10, ditto I've got places I don't both taking my Wraith because it walks up that stuff like it's not there & there's a few spots that are good for either.

Normally to run 1.9 on a Wraith you change the whole axles out for an SCX10 set.
I did it a while ago just out of interest to see how it went

it looked great & all, handled moderate speed ok, but crawled like crap, the long Wraith skid with comparatively short links to get the wheelbase looking ok just caught me on everything, it bellied out on stuff the SCX10 rigs around me walked over. With some under chassis mods & an SCX10 skid it'd probably be alright.

I definitely liked it'd more as 2.2 (older pic, no posing, it crawled there)

For lipo size I used a 2s 5800 hardcase across the chassis under the hood that was 139x47x25mm with a few mm to spare at each end, that would run a Tekin 13.5 Redline from a MMP for more than an hour just trailing around.

Last edited by altd896; 10-21-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: More info
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #9

If you get a wraith, you will need to do mods to fit your needs. I mostly crawl on rock, but is just as capable on trails. They are pretty unstable stock.great rigs with a little work.
gwcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:59 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I would never trade my wraith for a scx10 even though I already have one of each.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the info guys .. im sold .. going to do the rtr kit and start from scratch {great elect to remove and put into one of my 7 hpi rs4 rally's} install the titan 21t with sv3 on 3s and mod as I need to ..altd ... you were a bug help thanks .. I will deff keep it 2.2

wraith info please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need info re modifying a Wraith chassis IPT Paint and Body 2 10-21-2014 08:01 PM
need wraith axle info...... bob1961 Axial Wraith 2 01-21-2014 07:02 PM
need some info help on my wraith rswarrior Missouri 1 06-09-2013 11:29 AM
wraith motor swap info bign Axial Wraith 13 05-30-2013 06:19 AM
need some info on wraith machined links choppercat Axial Wraith 4 03-01-2013 08:50 AM